An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When you think you're having a bad day

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by GG88, Jan 7, 2015.

1. GG88

GG88 Member

Sometimes it's just too easy to wallow in self pity; when I'm having a bad day and not coping, the first thing I think of is indulging myself and thinking that everyone, everywhere is so much better off than I am. I'm tempted to start drinking quite early in the day, and I have to fight like crazy to stop myself from doing it.

I had one of those days yesterday. Then my husband came home and told me about a colleague of his whose neighbor's son had fallen in with a bad crowd, and now he's using and dealing, and his parents have lost track of him again. This kid is just 14. The Police seem incapable of dealing with these drug barons and pushers, and these kids that fall into the wrong hands rarely come out the other side of it. It just makes me so angry, and yet I'm so grateful that at least tomorrow there's a chance I will feel better; but this kid's parents must be in the depths of despair every day he's out there.
  2. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

Really wish I read this yesterday, today was one of the worst day for the year for me. It did not really begin today, it involved incidents that have been piling up from Sunday up to this day and today I felt as if my tolerance cup was running over and just could not hold any more. This evening is better but this morning was just terrible. Your post is inspiring and this is what I especially love about this site, it makes you realize that you are not alone in anything that is happening to you. Others went through ordeal as well and live to tell the tale so it is a refreshing reminder that this too shall pass. Thank you.
    GG88 likes this.
  3. lucyarty

lucyarty Member

I agree, gratitude is such a major help in fending of that wallowing mood - I know people sometimes keep 'gratitude journals' for exactly this reason. I don't have a problem with alcohol but I do with recurrent bouts of mild depression, and sometimes I'm so focused on the negatives in my life that I forget entirely how lucky I am as well. Those poor parents must be out of their minds - I hope their son ends up okay, what a horrible situation.
    GG88 and stariie like this.
  4. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

I can only pray for that kid. Its really frightening to think about it.
    And yeah, when you're having a bad day, we should remember that, someone somewhere is having a worse day. He might be facing problems far greater than yours. It gives you the strength to fight your present day problems.
    GG88 and MrsJones like this.
  5. 003

003 Community Champion

When I am having a bad, I don't think about it. I just go out and sweat it out, and after I think I become better though the feeling is still fresh in there. I feel renewed and I feel that I am able to handle it more. Personally, it doesn't take me anymore when I just think about it. The more I think about, the more I feel bad, the more I couldn't do anything.
    GG88 likes this.
  6. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Bad days can linger on and on. It's "funny" to me that if I'm hanging out smoking and doing things that I shouldn't do, time just seems to fly by and I feel like I don't have enough hours in my day to accomplish what I want to do, but if I'm having a "bad" day, the day just seems to drag on forever, and then temptation enters into the picture.

I hope that you are feeling better. Hopefully the child in the situation that you described will get the attention and help that he needs. It is hard dealing with abuse as an adult, dealing with it as a child is probably so much worse.
    GG88 likes this.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

As bad as it sounds, it really does take someone else's worse story that would give you more of an objective perspective on our own lives and it's a good way to remind ourselves that we still have some things to be thankful for. It's also great to hear when someone who's had it worse is later on able to succeed, of course, as it is also a good way of gaining new perspective and even getting some inspiration.
    GG88 likes this.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

When I'm having a bad day for any reason to make me appreciate the life I live, I look up articles about life in North Korea. The suffering and worst of all the absence of [any] hope that things might change in future normally sober me up pretty fast.

I think there's a lot we need to be grateful for but sometimes you need to learn how difficult life is for others to truly appreciate your luck/ good fortune.
    GG88 likes this.
  9. GG88

GG88 Member

Thank you for saying so! :) I hope your day is a better one today. Your closing line that "this too shall pass" resonates with me as I have that written everywhere in my house; it's so good to stumble across it even in the good times, to serve as a reminder that even the good times will fade and we must treasure and enjoy them when they are here.
  10. globulon

globulon Member

That is really great advice, GG88, thank you for sharing. Sometimes we all just need to be mindful of our current situation and look at the big picture of our lives. It is unfortunate that many individuals are in worse situations than yourself. However, it is with those stories that you really see things in your own life that you are very thankful for.
    GG88 likes this.
  11. GG88

GG88 Member

You are so right! I am probably more prone to wallowing and self pity (at times) than most people; but once I shake it off I feel guilty for thinking that my anxieties come anywhere close to the dreadful suffering of others.

I'm so thankful for everything and everyone I have - I need to acknowledge it more often.
    Winterybella likes this.
  12. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

The one thing that makes me snap out of self pity is to know that there is someone having it so much worse than me. I feel bad that I live next to a crazy woman who tries to make my life unbearable every day. All I have to do is imagine a homeless person on the streets who does not know where they will sleep that night. I feel so blessed when this happens.
  13. bluzkluz09

bluzkluz09 Active Contributor

Wallowing in self pity is dangerous when battling with addiction. When we are sad and depressed the temptation is strongest to go back to our bad habits. I cannot take comfort in someone else's misfortune. I know that even though I might be having a bad day there is someone out there in the universe having one too. It doesn't make me feel better but at least I know I'm not alone. Even though the circumstances might be different I know I'm not alone in my feelings.
  14. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

Self-pity is not good. When I'm having a bad day, I just let go of everything and give myself a good time. I go to the mall, eat my favorite food, or watch my favorite movie. The more you wallow by yourself at home, the more that you will feel even worse about yourself. Have fun, that's definitely the best solution.
  15. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

I try not to stress to much on bad days as we all have them. And I have observed the fact that after every rainy day the sun comes up. It's a great thing to know that bad days - good days come in cycles and you will experience both.
  16. cowboyz4life

cowboyz4life Member

When I think I am having a bad day, I think there is someone out there going through worse. This helps me stop pitying myself. I can then refocus on what is truly important.
  17. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Sometimes, your own thoughts are your worst enemies. They will eat you alive and will be absolutely relentless. Be careful getting lost inside of your head because sometimes only bad things can come. Think of the positive things, and know that there are people who love you.
  18. Thestoryteller1

Thestoryteller1 Active Contributor

I think I deal with bad days better at this point. I know that's it's just bad day or bad moment. I know there are worse things(I've been through worse things) and I know I have what to be grateful for.
    But I had a time when it was bad day after bad day, life-threatening bad days, for few months. At first I was optimistic and I knew myself well. I knew I can handle whatever is thrown at me. And then it was bad, bad and more bad, and thing after thing after thing that I had no clue how to handle...But I did because...because when something is worse than anything you can imagine, you go in crisis mode. You get through, somehow./
    Getting on after that is harder. That was the time I started overreacting to bad days and every one of them would send me into a spiral of panic and anxiety. I'm so grateful that this period has worn out and I can now handle bad days better.
  19. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

You know what they say, if you feel like you've fallen so far down - there's no where left to go but up. Things do get better but we must want it to happen, it doesn't simply fall into our laps. If today was a bad day then you probably have a clear picture of what a good day looks like. Then all that's left is figuring out what you have to do to get that good day.
  20. angelicagapit

angelicagapit Active Contributor

Sometimes people have those days where they just can't control their bad days.

I honestly try to make myself a better person everyday, but things can get out of hand and I can't put down my pride. Sometimes I really try to better myself physically, mentally, emotionally, and even socially, but there are days I just feel lazy to work my mind and act better.

What I do is I just take a few deep breaths and try to change my perspective of the day. I begin feeling more grateful that I still have a day to live and that I have people who love me. That usually makes me take the day into a more positive light.