An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When you wake up

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rosyrain, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

What is the first thing you do in the morning now as a result of your recovery? I used to make a pot of coffee and the. Went outside and smoked before I quit. Now I make a pot of coffee, do the dishes, and then log onto the computer to do some online work. Making money is my new "addiction," how about you?
    kassie1234 likes this.
  2. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’ve gotten into the habit of journaling first thing in the morning, usually while I’m eating my breakfast and drinking my tea. It’s helped me to gain further insight into various things, including why I do some of the things I do/feel some of the ways I feel. Sometimes this sort of introspection can get pretty uncomfortable, so I’m not always enthusiastic about doing it, but I almost always feel clearer-headed after I finish. It’s a good way to declutter my mind, so to speak.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

That's a productive addiction!

These days my morning routine is usually taking my dog out for a walk, brewing some coffee, and working on my to-do list for the day. I always find that I get more accomplished during the day when I have a list that I'm working from rather than just flying blindly!
    Rosyrain likes this.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Hmm, I don't have a set schedule whenever I wake up in the morning. I make something to eat, then check on my two little dogs to make sure they have something to eat and drink. I usually lazy up my way until noon, when I finally start getting productive and checking things off of my to-do list.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I was not really an addict before, but nowadays, as soon as I wake up in the morning, I try to be more positive and productive. I would cook for breakfast, do the dishes, clean the house, and after that, I am off to do my freelance writing work. :)
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I always do some cleaning around the house before I do anything else. It keeps my mind off drugs. Any time I start the day thusly unlike in the past when the first thing I had was my "fix" I can face the day bravely knowing that nothing [clutter to be precise] will stress me up and force me to deal with it [the stress] they way I did previously.
  7. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

I have enrolled in a college course so most of my time is pretty much studying or trying to make money online. Cleaning or exercising will take my mind off a lot of things too
  8. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

The only thing that is sad for me is that the weather is cooling down and so it is getting much more difficult to just take my morning coffee outside and enjoy the cool weather. I love sitting outside in the morning, without a cigarette in hand, and just listening to the birds chirp outside.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Oh yes, making money online and not spending it on alcohol is a good trade off. Who doesn't like to make money?
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

My daily routine ad been unaffected to be honest as my issue was with alcohol, so it's the evenings and weekends that have changed the most.

On the weekdays it used to be finish work. On the way home call into the local store for a few bottles and cans, get home, shower and then start drinking. Sometimes until the early hours of the morning. Then the next day, repeat.
  11. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I used to be really depressed a few years ago... I woke up to barely eat breakfast and then go back to bed because I felt too mentally exhausted to get out of bed... But now I'm studying psychology and that really keeps me busy, and when I have some spare time I do some work online too, I feel way more productive now.
  12. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

As I wake up every morning the first thing that I am doing is praying to God...Thanking Him for having a good sleep last night and for giving me another day to live. And asking Him the guidance to do all my responsibilities for the day. And after my morning prayers I am already inspired to start my day...
  13. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

I also work from home, and turning on the computer while I'm boiling the kettle is my daily routine. I do occasionally have dreams where I haven't given up drinking, and they usually start out fine, but quickly decend into a nightmare. Perhaps my subconsious will never let me forget how destructive alcohol was for me. I think keeping yourself busy is the key to a happier life anyway, it definitely helps me. Too much time on my hands can lead to introspection and regret, a bad state of mind to get into, keep busy and you always have something to occupy your mind with, and keep it away from sudden temptation.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Water is the first thing and then breakfast. We all enjoy making money. Some are quite addicted to that. Not a bad addiction. It all depends upon how you handle yourself. Condition of affluence. A ton of money can be a whole other problem, if you don't know what to do with yourself.
    Dreams where you haven't given up drinking. Must have been a lot of drinking before to cause these kind of dreams. Usually for me it depends upon what my life revolves around currently for what my dreams will be. I love to dream.