An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Where can family members go for information on treatment options?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Loved One' started by Lanny, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Lanny

Lanny Member

No one wants to see a family member suffers, even if it means getting sleepless nights. Hence, trying to locate appropriate treatment for a loved one, especially finding a program tailored to an individual's particular needs, can be a difficult process.
  2. LostmySis

LostmySis Senior Contributor

Do you mean finding a rehab or a 12 step program. 12 steps all have their own websites. NA - Narcotics Anonymous, AA - Alcoholics Anonymous, Nicotine Anonymous.

there is Al-anon for friends and family of the alcoholics. The list goes on. If you are looking for rehabs, you might want to ask your county or local mental health center. In my area, the mental health care can be had on a "sliding scale" based on your income level. They can refer you to other inpatient programs or set up outpatient. You might even call the local hospital who probably has a behavior health department.

Even go to a local 12 step meeting and ask the people there where they went or know of. Good luck
  3. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I would recommend contacting Al-anon or another group like that in your area and asking for information on programs and treatments in your area. They should have brochures and other resources you can get to help you help your family member get help.
  4. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

You can go to the health department and ask them where the nearest ones are for you to go to. Also take a look online and give some of them a call. If it is for friends or family then it is best to find one nearest to you, for the longer it takes to get there the easer it is to change ones mind.
  5. Go online and search for treatment centers in your area. Call every single one of them and see what they have to offer. You should be able to find a good fit based off these phone calls. If the individuals you speak to sound disinterested and cold, move on as this is a major red flag. You will eventually reach somebody enthusiastic about what they have to offer, if it's reasonably priced I would go with your gut and roll the dice on them.