An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Where did you find help?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by FuZyOn, May 28, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I know that addictions are really hard to overcome, especially alone. Who was there for you to support and fight alongside you while the recovering process was taking place?
    Did you go to a support group or called a specific help center? Or were your friends/family enough to pull through?
  2. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

I found help with a counselor who guided me through the appropriate steps and personally took me to a nice little rehab center. After that I was more or less on my own aside from the weekly group meetings, but they at times were rather generic and revolved around certain ideas did not allow for much interaction. After that I began to volunteer helping others and that's how I sort of developed connections with people just like me and we mutually helped one another. It was enough for me but it could have been easier with my family around.
  3. gracer

gracer Community Champion

My family has been my inspiration to change and stop abusing alcohol and cigarettes. I was able to pull myself up with their help and support. Now I don't see myself ever going back down that path again. I've found a new meaning in my life through my husband and our son and my relationship with my parents has never been better. I also hope others who are still struggling right now would finally find their reasons for starting anew, be it from other people or from their own selves.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I don't have any severe addiction issues. I was a pretty heavy drinker before but I still knew my priorities and never became such a pain to my loved ones. But without my family, friends, and God, I don't know what and where I would be right now. I owe everything to them. They are truly my inspiration in life.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

When I eventually looked for help to fight an addiction, the first place I went to was my own doctor. I think it's important that you do seek a medical opinion before you go down other routes, just at least to get a picture of what your next steps are.
  6. 6up

6up Community Champion

Self motivation. I also found help from friends and family members. They encouraged me and were always close. I came to learn how to avoid stress and that's it.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I didn't go to any group, I got all the help I needed from God itself :) I just hit rock bottom, and knew I had to stop so I went practically thru hell to do it. I had a very hard time, but now all that is history. Now I'm dealing with the sequels though... my memory is terrible! I blame it on the alcohol and dtug abuse, but there sin't much I can do.

I'm just trying to live one day at the time now :) I'm drugs and alcohol free now :) That is what really matters!
  8. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

Celebrate Recovery was a huge stepping stone and support for me in the beginning, then church family and meetings but now I just take things a day at a time and rely on my own strength and wisdom and God's help.
  9. Joseph

Joseph DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Great question! I first and foremost had to learn how to love myself before I could accept help from anyone else. This was a long process but the end result of loving yourself plus having a clear head to appreciate it is really great. I lost several fair weather friends when I decided to clean up, and all through the early years of my sobriety, and I did not have support from family or said friends at any point in my early recovery, which was very difficult. But it forced me to reach out and surround myself with people I didn't know who were dealing with the same issues. For me SMART meetings (or anything cognitive behavioral therapy and group related) were helpful, as was generally surrounding myself with healthier people. I do feel like going through treatment also helped me significantly in gaining perspective that I wouldn't otherwise be able to gain with an addicted mindset. But at the end of the day I believe we need to value our own lives enough to make a commitment to lifelong clean and healthy living.
  10. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

Unfortunately for me I had no one to help me through. I was left all by myself but with the help of God I was able to come through successfully. Sometimes when you need people around in your gravest times, they are absent. That's why we have to learn to encourage ourselves.
  11. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

When my brother was deep into drugs, there is no such word as help to him because he thought that people were only after his vice, that they wanted him to quit. I actually don't remember what triggered his desire to quit drugs. Let me think about it or maybe I would ask my sister when I see her tomorrow.

The good thing with my brother was his high respect for my father. His addiction was a secret to my father because we didn't want him to worry. His job needed his full concentration. And my father was the one who talked to my brother, who put some sense in my brother's head that addiction can be licked.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

For me it was a bit of a combination. My own realization and desire not to be dependent on alcohol anymore, the help of family and the couple of friends I had that weren't the enabling, encouraging drinking crew I mainly hung around, and also counseling to deal with other issues based around my own insecurities and self esteem that I guess ultimately caused the problems in the first place. I figure whatever road helps anyone is good - what works for one person may not work for someone else. There are so many roads to recovery!