An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Where do you draw the line?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by DancingLady, Jun 8, 2015.

1. henry

henry Community Champion

I don't think that if you have a drink of wine, or a beer everyday makes you an alcoholic. Some people just like the taste of it. If you don't get drunk, you're no alcoholic in my book, because alcoholics drink because of the effects, what they feel while drinking, not the taste. It can taste or smell like fried lightning, and an alcoholic would not care, as long as it gets him drunk.
  2. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I believe there are people that potentially drink everyday that are not classified as alcholics. I mean does this mean that a person is dependent? Could they go three days without drinking and still feel comfortable? There are many questions that can be asked. One being does alchol change a persons mood tremendously? If a person becomes hard to control, these are signs of alcholism.
  3. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Everyone is different. There are people who can drink 40 ounces of beer & space it appropriately between time & water to stay closer to sober than a person who had two 8 ounce beers. The truth is the user has to define alcoholism for themselves. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink just as you can lead a man to sobriety but you cannot make him stop.