An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Where?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by pwarbi, Apr 19, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While there's a lot of talk on here and in the media in general regarding the legalization of marijuana, I was just wondering exactly how many states in the US have decided to allow marijuana use? Is it the majority or is it still seen by many states to be illegal?

2. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think at this point there have been less than ten states that have legalized it in one form or another. For the most part I'm pretty sure it is still illegal but slowly I think more and more states will start to adopt the new laws because in my opinion it really is an outdated one.
  3. pwarbi

I certainly think the vast majority of states will go the same way. Marijuana use is becoming more accepted these days and while this might not be to everybody's liking, I do think it's inevitable.

Personally I agree, I think the law is outdated and should be changed, it's just a shame that it's taken so long for people to realize that.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's completely legal in small quantities in Colorado, Seattle, Washington and Alaska. It's alos the case in Portland and South Portland, Maine and the District of Columbia. Another 11 states have "decriminalized" it for personal use (whilst allowing medical marijuana and a further 9 allow medical marijuana. In the remaining 22 states, posession of marijuana, for whatever purpose, is illegal.
    pwarbi likes this.
  5. devinametallic

devinametallic Active Contributor

I mean I feel like how some of those posted above...more people are accepting it but there will always be those salty people that just will never understand that will never accept that idea.
  6. pwarbi

So while it is slowly becoming more and more accepted it's not quite there just yet.

I feel it will only be a matter of time though and I think decriminalization is just something that's done to ease people's concerns.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I knew it was in the 20s. Some are legal recreation, others are for medicinal. But with the latest trend I think we are going to see more states legalize the sale of it in the next couple of years.
  8. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

9. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

The only states that I know of where marijuana is legal is Colorado and California. In California, there are only certain cities where marijuana is legal, I think. In my opinion, marijuana should be legal everywhere. The reason I say this is because people will find ways to get it illegally and smoke it anyway. Also it is used for medical purposes, so why not just make it legal. I think in the future that it will be legal everywhere.