An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Which came first: The depression or the addiction?

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by crackerjack9, Jan 21, 2015.

1. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think depression comes first and then addiction occurs next. When you feel depressed or sad, you want to cling onto something, you somehow want to forget something, so you try other things (drugs, sex, alcohol) because it makes you high. But actually, these two are the reasons that will make you crumble down even more.
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think both can come first.
    There are some who are drinking just to be part of the group and later become addicted to it. Getting addicted to alcohol or any other substances can bring depression. Specially if one loss everything because of it including his/her family and friends.
  3. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I read all these post, and it's like tearing a page from my life. It amazing how much we all have in common. I'm sure glad I found this board. I love hearing from everybody I check it almost daily. I can't wait to see who posted what. More important I enjoy knowing I'm understood, and not judged.
  4. Madisfag

Madisfag Member

Once i accidentaly snorted 4 whole marijuanas. Then i got depressed because i was an addict.
  5. stariie

stariie Community Champion

How things worked for me the other way around is, my group of friends was always happy, funny, I was always the happiest, funniest one of my group... I was the geek. My friends and I did stuff "recreationally" for awhile. As life started getting more complicated with relationships, family problems, job drama, money issues, I became depressed about many things, and then my recreational use of things became full blown.
  6. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

Sure enough depression came first. I think I wouldn't even have tried smoking or drinking if I didn't have to deal with so much stuff back at home. It was just entertaining for me first, watching the smoke come out of my mouth then eventually got hooked.
  7. catherine_sky

catherine_sky Member

I feel it can be either and both and a vicious cycle can quickly, very quickly appear which makes it hard to see which came first. I am also aware that individuals with unrecognised developmental disorders are incredibly at risk of using drugs of all kinds in order to self-medicate in order to manage particular symptoms they are having, not always depression though. However due to medicating themselves can then lead to depression and addiction.
  8. SuicideMan

SuicideMan Member

For me it also was the depression that came first. It had been going on for 5 years until I one day stood in the super market and stopped in front of the Liquor section and decided to "just try it once".

3 Years later and I can not go a Friday/Saturday without drinking. It's a good distraction for when work is not there to distract you.
  9. DK01

DK01 Active Contributor

I think you're absolutely spot on @stariie - for me it went from being something I did with my good friends when we were young, to something I sought solace in as I became older and had to face up to new and old challenges, to something I believed was actually helping me through those challenges to something I couldn't live without. Drugs were very simple for me, they intensified whatever feelings I had at the time, no discrimination between joy and sadness.
  10. piez

piez Member

Most definitely for me it was the depression. I felt very alone and hated myself and I knew there was a reason that people drank so I decided to give it a go. I then realized that when I was drunk I felt relief from those thoughts. After that I started drinking too much but have since then toned it down quite a bit.
  11. stariie

No discrimination between joy and sadness? What do you mean exactly?

Yes, I totally understand where you are coming from as far as the start and progression of things.
    I was addicted to pills, my friends were addicted to crack, some to coke, but we all kind of started out the same way,
    everything started out as "social use", like the social drinker. But over-time, things started to become habitual. The crack smokers really went through a lot, things can get ugly. Thankfully they are doing better now that they have gotten older.
    DK01 likes this.
  12. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

The order that depression and addiction comes in varies for each person, I believe. Having dealt with depression before, I understand why people run to substances to cope with their issues. However, that isn't the proper response. The proper response is to seek help as soon as possible.
  13. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

Which comes first may vary but it seems that the two coincide, one feeds off the other or maybe for lack of a better word..confirms the other, giving a defined reason for the other.
    " My drug addiction is caused by my depression" or " My depression caused my drug addiction" but whatever came first, both issues need to be addressed, tending to one , even if caused by the other, would, I think, result in a high risk for relapse.
  14. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

I think for most people the depression starts first and leads them to dysfunctional alcohol/ drug abuse. When someone is not depressed they are less likely to abuse something to the point where it may cause problems in their lives.
  15. fruitdrank

fruitdrank Member

In my case, depression came first. I have been depressed since I was midway through grade school (about 8 or 9 years old), but I didn't start drinking or doing drugs until after I got into college. Being under the influence helped me cope with all the anxieties and depressive thoughts and tendencies I had. However, it was just avoidance, just like procrastination.
  16. DK01

DK01 Active Contributor

What I meant was that if I felt joyful, then using drugs would intensify that feeling, and the same if I was feeling sad. So at that time I was in vicious cycle of being thinking that drugs were necessary for me to have a good time, and that if I was sad then they were necessary for me to get through.
    stariie likes this.
  17. stariie

Oh, okay, I understand now, and that totally makes sense. You're right, it is a vicious cycle.
  18. Sarman

Sarman Member

The depression came first. I was already lightly using, but well in control. The depression raised me desire to abuse more frequently until I had got to a level where addiction set in. Of course from then it's a sort of self fulfilling cycle.
  19. DK01

DK01 Active Contributor

Errrr....what does this mean? You smoked four joints 'accidentally' or you turned the marijuana into powder (accidentally) and then (accidentally) snorted this powder?
  20. goldenmaine

goldenmaine Active Contributor

I think it would go either depending on the situation of a person. Many people succumb to substance abuse because of different reasons. Some because they have problems and sadness that they want to escape of so they try and experiment. In this case they were depressed that is why they are led into substance abuse. Some go into substance abuse for fun, peer pressure or experimenting. But eventually they become hooked and their lives are destroyed. They reflect how did it come to that and their beautiful lives are destroyed and in this case the situation caused their depression.