An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Which came first: The depression or the addiction?

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by crackerjack9, Jan 21, 2015.

1. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

This reminds me of the age-old question about what came first - the chicken or the egg. Is there a way to find out whether addiction comes before depression or vice versa? All I know for sure is that they complement each other. They go hand in hand and if you happen to use, people might think you're depressed. On the other hand, if you really are depressed and everyone around you notices this, they can fairly assume you're prone to taking drugs (if you still haven't). It's a vicious cycle.
    Johnsnow123 likes this.
  2. Johnsnow123

Johnsnow123 Active Contributor

For me it was definetly the depression, people think that the drugs and alcohol help relieve them from all the pain you are feeling on the inside and all the stress, which make people become addicted to it. I just thought everything would be ok if I smoked Marijuana/Cannabis/Weed and drank the most alcoholic drinks, but it didn't. Thankfully I am saved though.
  3. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

Depression came first.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

This is a chicken and egg question because some people get depressed first before they end up abusing drugs. Others never had to deal with psychological and emotional problems of epic proportions prior to taking drugs, but after doing so, they became depressed and suicidal.
  5. regicide3342

regicide3342 Member

For me it was the depression. I felt really smashed about everything and couldn't sleep at all. I just felt like the world was against me and I was the only one trying to resist it. To this day, I haven't gotten over it. But it is getting better, I can tell you that. It's really hard to come back from a drug addiction, but it's possible. And I will bet you, I am going to do it.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

In my case, I can only blame my curiosity for trying out weed and cigarettes, so I became temporarily depressed when the "high" effect of weed wore off afterwards. I'm glad and grateful that I never got addicted to both substances, and I'm quite confident that if someone were to offer me weed, or if I were to smoke cigarettes again, then I'm sure that I won't get addicted to it.
  7. Recovery101

Recovery101 Member

When I use to drink it was as result of stress which then led to depression. The alcohol gave me an escape for reality. Looking back now I understand that it was not the right choice because even though the alcohol provided temporary relief, the problems persisted and got worst. It's always best to face up to life and work through your problems no matter how uncomfortable they make you feel.