An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Which Drug Is The Toughest To Give Up?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by ChloeDawn, Feb 28, 2016.

1. ChloeDawn

ChloeDawn Active Contributor

It seems there are so many drugs people get addicted to. Out of all the addicting substances that many addicts battle every day, which one do you think is the toughest to give up? Alcohol, nicotine, meth, heroine, cocaine, marijuana, prescription drugs or what?
  2. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

I think its different for everyone. I also wouldn't know first hand but I would think heroin would be the drug especially with withdrawal symptoms and how badly it can mess with someones mental capacity. But any addiction is hard to give up.
    deanokat likes this.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think again it's different for everyone and it depends on what you talk about when you're talking about dependence. I honestly think that sometimes it's the things like alcohol and cigarettes that are hardest to give up, given that they're so easily accessible - if you can buy your drug of choice when you go grocery shopping, for instance, then it has to add a level of challenge to giving it up.
    Rainman likes this.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think that ALL drugs can be hard to get rid of, especially once the person is already addicted to it. It doesn't matter whether it's only a cigarette or it's hard drugs like heroin, once you get addicted to it then it would be hard to let it go with a sincere intent to get clean.
  5. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Like others have said, there is no one drug that's the hardest. To each his own. Everyone has some addiction and they struggle just as much to get rid of their addiction as the other person.
  6. lost247

lost247 Active Contributor

I think there are definitely some substances that pose a greater challenge and cause serious withdraw symptoms (alcohol detox can actually be very dangerous) but I think anything you depend on to escape or numb or feel good artificially is difficult to give up. Food, gambling, toxic relationships, all can be just as volatile as any drug.
  7. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I think it will incredibly difficult to come up with a definite answer for your question. Generally, all substances are difficult to give up. But ultimately, it all depends on the individual and their surrounding environment. If someone is addicted to alcohol, and he is surrounded by people that are also alcoholics then it's going to be difficult for him to break free.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

IMHO there's no drug that's easy to give up but cigarettes tend to really hard to stop using. I've seen a number of smokers attempt to stop using cigarettes but they keep failing. Nonetheless there's no addiction that is impossible to beat no matter how tough it is to give up.
  9. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I guess it depends on the demographics of the user, but I second cigarettes.
    Not only do they have addictive properties, but they are extremely easy to access to the average person. This is not the case with most other drugs and I think it's one of the biggest influences. I always hear of people who are struggling to kick their smoking addiction because of how easy it is for them to find a pack of cigarettes and carry on smoking.
    Alcohol can also be addictive and it's also easy to access. But some drugs that are illegal or even harder for the average person to find have more severe and addictive properties, this is why I stated that it depends on who you are, where you live and who you know.
  10. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I would be inclined to think that hard drugs are more difficult to give up as they are more addicting. But there are really a lot of factors at play: environment, the substance itself, and most importantly the person using the substance.
  11. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I will go with cigarettes. I think nicotine is a highly addictive substance, and it one reason people continue to smok long after they know or want to quit. It might not give people the sorts of issues that other drugs do, but it does wreak havoc on the body, and even on those that are nearby so it is definitely a killer drug.
  12. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I do not know if there is anything that is more tough than another. I think it is all in the head and what you think you can't live without is a struggle to give up from the get go. If I had to pick one I would go from experience and say prescription drugs may be the hardest because they are legal and often prescribed to us when a doctor feels we need them for pain. This could happen even from a visit to the dentist. So with them being so easily accessible it can be harder to kick this habit.
  13. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think most of the hard drugs are the toughest to give up. Heroin, Cocaine and prescription drugs seem to top the list. I've heard of people quitting marijuana without many withdraw symptoms at all. Prescription drugs are really hard to give up that's why most people get addicted to them. Even tho prescription drugs are for ailments or more serious things, they can be considered hard drugs if abused.
  14. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Yeah, anything drug that can be classified as "neuro-something" is always going to be harder to let go off. Even though I believe its different for different people, still certain narcotics are always going to be hard to give up. If you give up smoking or drinking, you won't go crazy. But, absence of certain substances once you're used to them can drive you mad if you don't give up slowly or under expert supervision.
  15. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I'm thinking that in general it's probably nicotine and I think the UK government agree with me on that. I've seen many people overcome addictions including meth, heroin, cocaine, crack addiction. However, I don't think I have ever seen any of those people manage to overcome their nicotine addiction.
  16. ciaran071198

ciaran071198 Member

Personally, from a general viewpoint of society and first hand experience, I find that there is nothing worse than cigarettes when it comes to addiction. Very simply, the simple fact that people will steal and do other ridiculous things to breathe in burnt plant matter containing tar and other cancerous substances, which tastes disgusting too is enough evidence that it is one of the most easily addicting and 'gripping' drugs (nicotine).
  17. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Drugs are individual and I don't think there is a particular one. Each person has their favorite substance that becomes an addiction. Regardless of what the substance is, it is always tough to give it up. The fact is that you reach a stage where it has you, not the other way around. Drugs don't easily let go!
  18. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

From what I've researched, here are the top five toughest drugs to quit:
    • Heroin. Those addicted to heroin find it difficult to quit because withdrawal symptoms are painful. Some can even go into respiratory arrest. That is why a lot of people don't even get into recovery.
    • Crack. This is a different version of cocaine, it is mixed with baking soda and solidified. People who quit this can experience depression, mood swings and even fatigues as withdrawal symptoms.
    • Nicotine. This legal substance found in cigarettes can be quite difficult to quit because of withdrawal symptoms like anxiety, tremors and nausea as well as mood swings.
    • Crystal Meth. Those who quit meth can experience hallucination, psychosis and even aggressive behaviour as withdrawal symptoms.
    • Cocaine. It is difficult to quit cocaine because aside from the usual withdrawal symptoms of lethargy and depression, individuals can also experience paranoia, psychosis and delusion.
  19. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

If you take the number of years as substance abuser, the innate resiliency, the environment and the level of support into consideration, the type of drug doesn't matter. Those factors affect the difficulty of being able to give up any particular drug.
  20. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

It depends on the person and how they relate their personal well being with that substance. Scientifically I'm pretty sure that some substances are "harder" than others, but I think that the person's perspective is the one that really makes the difference.