An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Which Drug Is The Toughest To Give Up?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by ChloeDawn, Feb 28, 2016.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

All drugs are extremely difficult to give up some people will be successful in quitting from the drug habit whilst there other who are never able to release themselves from the addiction. The drugs which are mostly referred to in this case is heroin, cocaine, marijuana and Meth all of which are considered to be hard drugs. However, Meth is believed to be the most addictive and most difficult drug to give up.
  2. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

I would say that the toughest drug to give up is cocaine. It is just so easy to get hooked on, and when quitting it can be an emotional struggle.
  3. Novelangel

Novelangel Active Contributor

It's not my specialty but I've heard it said that Meth is the worst as far as sobriety is concerned. For one thing, you can become addicted very quickly, sometimes from the very first use of the drug. That doesn't help the situation, because you find yourself in a downward spiral so soon after starting. It just ruins a person's life and for some, that's life without parole.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

For me there isn't one drug that's worse, or harder to give up than any other. Every addict, no matter what they're addicted to will say what they're going through is the hardest, and having been addicted to a few myself in the past I can understand that.
  5. ChloeDawn

ChloeDawn Active Contributor

I would honestly think that maybe cigarettes and crystal meth might be the two worst addictions to quit. If cigarettes were not legal, they might not be as widely acceptable. This makes smokers think that it's safe to smoke because many people do it. As for crystal meth, this drug can turn a person into an addict even if they only try it once. So, evidently it is highly addicted as well.
  6. remnant

remnant Community Champion

One of the hardest drugs to give up is alcohol. I am insinuating this from experience. The reason behind this is the fact that alcohol is a social drug. Most people don't get addicted to alcohol because of its appeal. It is a consequence of a process of socialization and addiction is a secondary issue. Thats why many people find it hard to disabuse themselves from alcohol addiction. The relapse rate is very high compared to other drugs. It is also the single most drug with the highest social cost in terms of mortality and morbidity.
  7. Sealpikachu

Sealpikachu Member

While it is different for everyone, I think alcohol is the harderst. It is so widely accepted and easy to get, as well as cheap, that I think it's harder to leave. It is also everywhere. You will rarely go to a party where people are smoking weed but drinking alcohol, or beer at hangouts is ridiculously common. It can be very easy to fall off the wagon when alcohol is everywhere.
  8. CryingCanary

CryingCanary Active Contributor

There's no way someone could possibly answer your question without saying "it depends" because it really does. It depends on many factors such as the person itself, its environment, tolerance and much more. As an alcoholic I can easily say that alcohol is the hardest drug to give up but that would be subjective. It's different everyone.
  9. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

Heroin is incredibly difficult to quit. Any sort of opiate is difficult to quit. My experience with opiates has left me feeling like there is no greater pain than letting go of the drug itself. The withdrawals are the worst. I remember shaking uncontrollably and fighting to stay warm. I spent a few nights freezing and feeling as if I was going to die. I learned all about why someone might continue to pick up drugs just to avoid the withdrawal symptoms. I wouldn't wish heroin withdrawals onto anyone.
  10. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I think the drug you're using is always the hardest one to quit.
  11. Tryingtoquit

Tryingtoquit Member

I think all withdrawl sucks. Especially opioid withdrawl. Im coming off of suboxone. Day 5. It sucks. Im still surviving but i feel like that's all im doing... Surviving.