An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Which Helpers Were More Effective On You?

Discussion in 'Share Your Rehab Experience' started by bluedressed, Jan 28, 2015.

1. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I think people react differently to interactions -- I know a lot of people want to feel "challenged", like they have something to prove (I am one of these people). But others will react the complete opposite way -- instead of rising up to a challenging bet, they will deflate and take it as a sign that people don't believe in them. I've often made the mistake of trying to support people the way that I would like to be supported, and I know others who tried to support me have done the same.

So, on your journey to quitting -- during rehab, during treatment, during your interaction with family and friends -- what approach was more effective on you? What is the attitude that got through the best?
  2. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I'm not affected much by what goes on around me, whether someone is behind me or not. Unless I wanted to switch it up and become clean myself, I wouldn't have had any luck with it. I know some people just need support groups, and some need to be challenged. I think it's all based on a person-to-person interactions however. Each individual needs their own way to come to terms with what they've done - and a giant grouping of people discussing problems isn't going to help them.
  3. 6up

6up Community Champion

First I learned to listen even though I was not to follow as per every advice. Close friends were most helpful because I was more open to them than family members. Most of my friends had experience and their advice was first hand. My family comforted me that I was able to overcome any addiction. They were always there for any help.
  4. mmalka

mmalka Member

Having anyone from a friend or a co worker can be a great place to start and depending on the family member, they can be a truly helpful part in the path of ending an addiction. Since they are always going to be there for your help every step of the way.
  5. jeremy2092

jeremy2092 Member

My attitude during my treatment was just to get better. I realized that my problem was that I was trying to please everybody. Since I couldn't do that, I drank myself to almost death. I have since become a more "selfish" person, and by that, I mean that I only do things that make me proud or inspire me. The same actions may inspire others or not, but I do it because I enjoy it.