An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Which Hollywood movie that talks about addiction seems more real to you?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by lalabee21, Sep 9, 2015.

1. lalabee21

lalabee21 Active Contributor

I think Hollywood movies tend to exaggerate or get things totally wrong sometimes, but there are some movies that are brutally honest. To me Leaving Las Vegas is one of these movies. It really makes you think about how awful alcoholism is. What about you?
  2. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

I am pretty sure everyone here can agree with me about Basketball diaries Leo deserved and Oscar since then, the man capture it quite well in a few of his scenes great movie.
  3. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

It's probably not a commonly known movie on these boards but Once Were Warriors is a New Zealand movie that deals with alcoholism (among other things such as domestic violence). Its based on a book and the movie is incredibly well-adapted. If you have the opportunity to watch it I would recommend it (although you will need to have your tissues at hand).

It is a very honest look at the cycle of alcoholism and violence that can continue through the generations, as well as the damage that alcoholism can do to family and friends. It's a hard but very truthful watch.
  4. Kpet

Kpet Member

Well i have not gotten Requiem for a dream out of my head. I think it`s a brilliant film that shown addiction perfectly. A must see, as you surly can identify.

Also the film is amazing in it self. Darren Aronofsky is the director.
  5. lalabee21

Basketball Diaries is an awesome movie, I watched it too many years ago but I remember it was hard to watch, especially that scene of Leo in the batroom with an old guy. Thank you so much for recommending Once Were Warriors I will look for it and thanks for the tissue warning! About Requiem for a Dream that's a great movie and I had forgotten about it completely, it's tough to watch though, is one of those great movies you can only watch one time because it's pretty tough.
  6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Trainspotting was a pretty realistic movie and so was Wild. Both featured what can happen when you do heroin and did a good job at showing the ugly side of the drug. If the producers really take heart and passion in what they are doing, it is possible to make a very realistic movie.
  7. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Leaving Las Vegas was so dark and hideous I had a real problem with that movie. I guess alchoholism can get to that point but personally I have never seen anything like it. Well, actually Doctor Phil has had a couple of alcoholicss on there that were probably near death, one in particular I can think of who had problems, walking, talking and so forth. It can be truly awful if not treated I guess.
  8. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

The obvious ones have been taken, so I'll go with Crazy Heart. It's a movie about an aging, semi-washed-up, alcoholic country singer, for those who haven't seen it. Dealt with alcoholism in a very grounded, realistic manner, and how it can utterly ruin relationships. Kind of dark in places, but wonderfully acted.

In a weird way, Hancock also dealt with alcoholism in a somewhat realistic manner, despite the fact that the alcoholic in it could... y'know... fly... his life was still an absolute mess at the start.
    L_B and lalabee21 like this.
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Tender Mercies about a recovered alcoholic country singerwas another good fim that dealt with alcoholism and the recovery process. It was a film that showed how dark the recovery could be too, not all sweetness and light. Without something to replace the addiction those in recovery often have a hard time with sobriety. It is one of the movies that shows a realistic portrait of the disease I think.
  10. lalabee21

Crazy Heart is the movie with Jeff Bridges? That was a good movie, I think he was nominated for an Oscar or maybe won the Oscar I can’t remember. But yeah, this is a good movie.

I loved that you mentioned Hancock, you’re totally right about it. It pictures alcoholism in a real way even though he can fly and all that stuff. This is a good, one I really liked it.
  11. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I really connected with Homerun as I was in Celebrate Recovery for a while.
    I haven't seen many movies about addiction so I am glad I spotted this thread. Gives me some ideas of stuff to look up on my Roku player LOL
  12. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

That's an excellent point about Hancock! I think it didn't occur to me because of the way the subject matter was approached. It really is relevant in that movie though.

I think it's good that alcoholism isn't solely featured in dramatic/'sad' movies, and is sometimes included as part of a larger storyline. I feel like when it is portrayed like that it might occur to more people to question their behavior - rather than when they view a very 'extreme' very of alcoholism and don't relate to the character at all.
  13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I think The Wolf on Wall Street depicted how the drug and alcohol use affects people. The protagonist had an amazing starting career but then started to get into drugs, but I can't say more since I don't want to spoil the movie for anyone. It's not focused on alcohol and drug use, but you can learn a thing or two from it! :)
  14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

The movie "28 Days" is a good portrayal of how functional alcoholics operate. It is mostly set in a rehab, and it is a fun and entertaining way of looking at rehab life. Another great film to watch is "When a Man Loves a Woman." It's about a husband who never gives up on his alcoholic wife. Very compelling and romantic at the same time. :)
    L_B likes this.
  15. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I LOVE 28 Days. I had it on VHS years ago and it stayed in the video player a lot!
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not so familiar with the Hollywood movies about addiction or just forgot the title. But I can remember the movie Hancock in which a superhero is alcoholic and that because of his drinking, he is a hated Superhero in the start of the movie.
  17. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I'll be the honest one here and say that, most Hollywood movies don't hit it on the head. Leaving Las Vegas was laughable to me. That's the only reason why I saw it, as ha was trying to kill himself with alcohol.

I just find it hard to swallow when I see addicts in the movies, and they can act like they are addicts, but I know they are not. They stumble and fall, but so far no actor can reenact the depression that on goes through in addiction and sobriety.
  18. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Ah yes! Thanks for reminding to watch that film. I keep putting it on the backburner, only to hear how wonderful it is in portraying alcoholism. I'll try watching this next weekend.
  19. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I just watched a movie last Saturday on the television. I first thought that it was a horror movie but it was a movie about what addiction can cause to a person. The main character drink twice of the prescribed medicine and drink alcohol with it that gave him hallucinations. The title is Barricade.