An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Which Inspirational Quotes Mean Something to you and Why?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by OHelloMe, Mar 30, 2016.

1. OHelloMe

OHelloMe Active Contributor

I am very sentimental. So I have a few quotes that mean a ton to me. I thought I'd share them along with the reasons why I really like these quotes.

I love this quote for many reasons. I find it's a kind and gentle reminder to take things one moment at a time and to live in the present. I often spend a lot time thinking about the future and end up future tripping. For me this quote was the first step in calming down and taking life step by step.

To be honest this isn't exactly a quote as much as it is a riddle. However, it encourages me to never give up. I have it it scribbled on a few places around the house and everytime I see these notes, it makes my day just a little bit better!

These song lyrics are from Masterpiece by Jessie J, and I'm not going to say much about it. This is because I strongly believe in the power of music and feel that the way in which you connect with a song differs for everyone. Leaving it up to interpretation is key.
    Inquiring minds want to know, what quotes, sayings or song lyrics mean something to you and why?
    bhu likes this.
  2. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

Some of my favorite inspirational quotes are:
    "To the stars through difficulties." - Latin proverb
    This reminds me that life happens, and I have to keep reaching for my dreams anyway.

You are a survivor.
    This was written in my high school graduation card by a relative. I've remembered it ever since.
    It means that no matter what life brings, the consequences of my choices, I will still wake up in the morning with a fresh new day.

Just for today.
    This is from the 12 Step programs, Conference Approved Literature and a very popular slogan for every person I've ever met in recovery.
    It means that you don't have to rehash your mistakes from yesterday. You don't have to have your whole life planned for years to come. Just do this one day that you're in and let that be enough.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Mine is in my signature...
    “Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: you don't give up.” --Anne Lamott
  4. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Thank you for sharing these quotes, guys! I love them! Here's my favourite inspirational quote:

"Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place."

-Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

I love this quote because it tackles about the importance of not losing yourself despite the problems you might encounter. It tells you that although life is hard, you can still get through it. Don't let your problems take the best of you. Don't lose yourself just because of one substance. And believe that the world is a beautiful place to be in once you truly see it to be.