An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Which is the best prescription painkiller for chronic pain?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by stagsonline, Oct 14, 2014.

1. stagsonline

stagsonline Active Contributor

Nearly half of the nations over 41,340 overdose deaths in 2011 involved prescription painkillers like oxycodone and hydrocodone. These drugs now kill more adults than cocaine and heroin combined. An even more powerful pain killer was recently approved by FDA despite the disapproval of its own expert advisory committee. This drug is Zohydro which is being used by people suffering from chronic pain. Now my concern is: Which is the best and safest prescription painkiller available for chronic pain? A friend of mine with pain problems is really concerned about the use of these drugs.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The reason why people die from drug overdoses or something is because they self-medicate or don't take the medicine as prescribed by doctors.

It's the doctors who having diagnosed what someone is suffering from, can provide the right prescription. For that reason, I wouldn't say that such and such a drug is great for chronic pain. Ask your friend to see a doctor. S/he [the doctor] will know what would be best for your friend's condition.
  3. stagsonline

That is right, my friend is facing the same problem. I have tried to convince him to seek medical help first but he won't listen to me. I think the biggest problem with people nowadays is that they think medical information they find online based on other people's opinions can help them. Nobody's health problem is the same as another person's. Despite the risks involved, people still go ahead and use prescription drugs that are not even safe. I am really concerned for my friend due to that.
  4. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

No prescription drug is without side effects, but those side effects significantly increase when they're being abused. Here's more info on the effects of painkiller use.
  5. stagsonline

Though I din't know that much about the effects of painkillers, many people still go ahead and ignore the knowledge they acquire about the use of these drugs. Unless a close friend or relative is affected, most people never think of the danger they are exposing themselves to. That is why I don't want my friend to get addicted to painkillers.
  6. 420nosmoke

420nosmoke Member

The safest opiate-based painkillers are the ones that don't contain acetaminophen (Tylenol). Vicodin and Norco are both a combination of acetaminophen and hydrocodone (opiate). These are very dangerous drugs to abuse, but not because of the opiate part. Acetaminophen is very toxic to the liver even in low doses, and can easily cause death from liver failure if you take too much. It's especially deadly when combined with alcohol. So people end up getting addicted to Vicodin for the pain killing properties or just the high, and end up blowing out their livers. It's sad.
    All opiates can be easy to overdose on if someone takes the wrong dose for their tolerance level, but if they are on the right dose, they're pretty much the best option for severe/chronic pain, and they have relatively low physical toxicity.
    Jen S. likes this.
  7. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I stay away from vicodin its too strong fro me to take. I make sure that I take the pain reliever from equate for pain.
  8. stagsonline

My friend wants nothing to do with Vicodin. He has previously had a bad experience with it because of it's strong effects on the body. I recently had him say that chronic pain can also be managed through therapy. The type of therapy that would that is what left him questioning the logic behind that. If it could be possible, I think it would save him a lot of stress.
  9. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I would not blame him for staying away from Vicodin. I try taking that stuff and it bothered my chest I felt like I was going to pass out.
  10. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

The best way to take prescription pain pills is to take them safely as prescribed by a doctor. If you are prone to addiction, ask for an alternative treatment or have a friend or family member monitor your usage. I have never had a serious injury, thankfully, so I have never taken pain medication. I have no interest and want to keep it that way.
  11. Wow... These stats are staggering. I appreciate you sharing these numbers. The message is clear that this is not a problem that is going away, it is actually growing. What can we do when these drugs are coming from companies with huge pockets and a rising demand for their products.
  12. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

The best thing to do is to take the medication as prescribe and no more then that regardless of any pain your friend may be in. If they feel that the medication is not helping with the pain enough, then they should talk to their doctor and allow the doctor to assess whether or not there should be an increase to the medication. That is the safest bet.
  13. jade870

jade870 Active Contributor

I agree with most of the people that have posted in this form, the top reason why people overdose is because they abuse their prescription medications. You can die from almost anything that you abuse too much we are human beings are bodies can only take so much. It's true most people can build up a certain tolerance to pain medication, and that is why when you are on it for a certain period of time it seems like you need more to the sure paying. I can't tell you how many times I have seen somebody use pain medication to self medicate. In America this seems like a rising problem throughout the years thousands have died.
  14. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I agree that the biggest problem we have with pain killers is when people self medicate. People just buy this drugs over the counter regardless of the symptoms they exhibit and end up treating the symptoms rather than the disease.What we need is a policy to regulate the issuance of painkillers in general to make them less accessible.
  15. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

Tylenol is the safest option I can think of. But like other people have said, all pain killers have their side effects. You just have to pick what best suites your needs.
  16. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

When you're in excruciating pain, it can take its toll after a while. I made myself sick on meds once by accident. I was up all night in unspeakable pain, and I couldn't wait for each time that I could take more meds. One of those times I slipped up and forgot to write down the last time I took it. I took it too soon and made myself sick (I was on double doses, approved by the doctor of course). I was "loopy" from the meds and messed up. So, it's not always so simple.

Also, addiction is a concerning thought when you have to take pain meds long term.

I don't know what "therapy" the OPs friend thinks will rid chronic pain to the point of not needing meds, but I've found no such thing.
  17. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I know people that literally eat pain pills like candy. I have actually watched young adults take 3 or 4 pills in their hand. Toss them in their mouth chew them up, and chase it down with beer.

I shake my head in absolute wonder. I also preach to these people which falls on deaf ears. One young man died from chewing a pain patch while consuming alcohol. It all goes back to abusing a substance, no matter what it is. As long as this happens their will be deaths.
  18. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Unfortunately, Tylenol isn't enough for real pain, but even Tylenol isn't good for you if you take too much of it. I have never heard of it being addictive, but I can't swear to that (speaking of the over the counter version here).
  19. pillssupplier

pillssupplier Member

To get rid from such problem, an effective pain killers medicine available is Diclofenac present online at moderate rate at pillssupplier. This medicine used to reduce pain, swelling, joint stiffness & it is one of the best pain reliever used to treat mild to moderate pain along with reducing long-term pain observed in certain conditions.
  20. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

When I broke my foot this is what was prescribed to me by the surgeon. Diclofenac. It really helped me a lot and gave me a good night's sleep a few hours after I took it. It would get rid of that throbbing pain I had in my foot.