An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Which is the best prescription painkiller for chronic pain?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by stagsonline, Oct 14, 2014.

1. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

I only took the Diclofenac twice mainly because of my aversion to painkillers and "being a tough guy". The surgeon a week later changed the pain medication and I asked why. He said Diclofenac for more than a couple of weeks is bad for your liver and system. I told him I took it only twice and I told him another script was not necessary as the pain was tolerable at that point. I forgot the name of the other pain killer he prescribed. I also took Diclofenac for some bad ear pain a few years ago. I have not been on any other pain medication ever.
  2. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

People depend to much on pills, and modern medicine. Doctors are so fast just to give you a pill for whatever problem you may have. Alternatives are out there, but it sadly just to easy to go to a doctor and get a prescription.
  3. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

That's very true, Karma. There seems to be a pill for everything, and at times, it almost seems like doctors push meds these days. I don't like to take anything, but alas, sometimes I don't have much choice. I do like to try alternative therapies and remedies though. I'd much prefer something more natural.
  4. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

As a chronic pain sufferer since nearly 25 years, I can only say one thing: try and stay away from pharmaceutical pain killers and look for alternative ways, such as herbal medicine, acupuncture and different breathing and meditation techniques. I have learnt to live with my pain, and I can manage it quite well these days. There are many ways to deal with chronic discomfort, it just takes time and commitment.
  5. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

I have documented chronic pain (moderate scoliosis) that will only get worse and is inoperable because of other factors. Not a single doctor at the pain management clinic is worried about me being dependent on the medications they've given me. They expect me to need pain medications in increasing dosage for the rest of my life. Fine. Right now I have a low dose morphine that is 2-3 times per day and percoset 5/325 1-2 pills every 4-6 hours. That's what's on the bottle. Sometimes I NEED the max dosage to not be in severe pain. Sometimes the minimum takes the edge off well enough for me to function. They give me the max dose every month though and don't make me account for how many I have taken. Just because I am allowed the max dose does not mean I should take the max if I can avoid it, no matter how much I want the extra pills.

For the OP, none of them are super safe. The risk of addiction is there. So is the risk of kidney and liver damage. As others have mentioned, straight pain med is safer than when it's mixed with acetaminophen. Also, I used to be able to use acupuncture to help somewhat and use a lower dose of the addictive stuff.