An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Which is worse cigarettes or chewing tobacco for ones health?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by gofearstan, Jun 30, 2015.

1. gofearstan

gofearstan Member

We know both are bad and what they cause.

But between the two, which is worse?
  2. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

Chewing tobacco has 1/10th the risk of smoking for developing cancer. Both have been correlated with an increased risk in Cancer, however the lungs are a more sensitive area than the mouth.

That being said, chewing tobacco has a 3 times greater risk of aggrevating heart disease due to the increased amount of nicotine in the system and associated withdrawl symptoms.

So.... look at your family history. If cancer runs in your family, stay away from the cigarettes. If heart disease runs in your family, stay away from chewing tobacco. If brains run in your family, you'll stay away from both.
  3. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

Cigarettes are worse for the health because the lungs ability to get oxygen to the rest of the body is hindered if you are a smoker. It can cause COPD or cancer. It can also set off allergies if you have them or even athsma over time.

Chew is hard on the stomach, esophagus, and cheeks. Cancer can hit all three. Can cause digestion problems.
  4. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

Well the faster route to Cancer or Emphysema would be filterless cigarettes. If you wish to keep your face, you should leave the tobacco alone as well. Try a Nicotine gum and give it all up as soon as possible.
  5. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

They are both pretty bad for your health. I would have to say chewing tobacco is worse it increases your chances of mouth and throat cancer. As a smoker I can say smoking a cigarette is far better(taste wise) then chewing on some tobacco.
  6. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, chewing tobacco seem to increase your odds to get oral cancer... even more than smoking an average cigarette. But smoking an average cigarette can increase your odds to get all sorts of cancers. The odds to get oral cancer for tobacco chewers is very very high though... so this is a tough one. If it was me I'd stay away from both. Specially tobacco.
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Chewing tobacco is way worst. Chewing tobacco is worst than smoking, it can cause gum cancer. There are people who have chewed tobacco and have got tumors in there mouth. I use to smoke cigarettes, but couldn't stand the thought of chewing tobacco. I had a aunt that used to chew the stuff and spit it in a can.
  8. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Chewing tobacco really isn't all that terrible. The people who say it is generally have no evidence to back it up. If you dig around for some studies, you'll find that on average it takes 15 days off of your life. And to the guy who said you should abstain if you'd like to keep your face and to the commenter directly above me, I suggest you look up some studies before spreading false information; it may not be good for you, but it could save the lives of many smokers.
  9. 6up

6up Community Champion

They are all worse at the same level. Tobacco causes cancer when smoked mp chewed. Smoking causes lung cancer and chewing it causes mouth cancer. We are supposed to avoid both to stay safe.
  10. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Active Contributor

The death rate from cigarette smoking exceeds any other form of tobacco consumption. Cigars have a much lower death rate (the use of cigar holders further reduces the death rate), and pipe smokers actually live longer than non-smokers. The effect of e-cigs is yet to be determined, but the immediate improvement in health seems obvious.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I've never tried chewing tobacco but my understanding is that both are detrimental to health but in different ways.

Smoking causes damage to the lungs and respiratory system, chewing tobacco affects the mouth and digestive system.
  12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Both are bad and I don't think anyone should try them. Cigarettes are probably worse than chewing tobacco but they both have a detrimental value in someone's life.
  13. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I don't see how chewing tobacco could save the lives of smokers when it can cause cancer also. Chewing tobacco can cause more cosmetic damage, this is damage you can see externally. Something that can give you tumors in your mouth is not the cure for smokers. If you do research you'll see chewing tobacco can cause cancer of the gums
    and leave legions in your mouth. In no way can you compare chewing tobacco to a cure for smokers.
  14. srofltank

srofltank Member

Like most have said, most are bad and cause health problems. Personally I think cigarettes are worse mainly because they affect the lungs (which is extremely vital to us living) more and is more of an internal damage rather than the portional external damage that is caused by chewing tobacco. Then again, it's undeniable that both are bad almost equally.
  15. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

They both are bad. Chewing tobacco can cause many tumors and damage to your mouth and esophagus while smoking will destroy your lungs. Either route you take would end up being a bad route. It's kind of scary to be honest so it's best to stay clear of those paths.
  16. GavinWoods

GavinWoods Member

Even ignoring cancer risks, smoking is still worse. You really damage your lungs by sucking in all of that ash and tar. Your ability to partake in athletic ability will be noticeably worse than someone who only uses smokeless tobacco. While your body absorbs chemicals from both types of tobacco, only smoking includes taking in larger foreign particles. I'm sure you have seen heavy, chronic smokers who do not have cancer but still have a visible toll taken on their appearance.
  17. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I never said it was a cure. But making a lifestyle choice that leaves you with even slightly better health is a good thing. It can save their lives because it's cancer rate is drastically lower than that of cigarettes and some smokers can successfully switch from smoking to chewing. As for doing research, here you go: http://www.medpagetoday.com/Pulmonology/Smoking/15292 (that one is based on 89 studies, by the way) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9868728 http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/02/120219135553.htm

Those are just a small portion of studies that show the reduced cancer risk. I don't mean to be rude, hostile or argumentative, but you're giving people potentially lethal advice right now. What if someone who would never quit tobacco was planning on switching from cigarettes to smokeless tobacco (which most likely would prevent any tobacco related cancers) and someone like you came along and changed their minds.

Whether or not you think it's okay to chew tobacco, it's not okay to spread false information regarding health just because you heard a couple organizations talk about how bad chew is without presenting any evidence. Every study on the effects of chewing tobacco says that it's not as bad as cigarettes.

If anyone sees this post who doesn't want to quit smoking, I would highly suggest that you at least switch to a tobacco which has proven to not even have 10% the cancer rate as cigarettes (especially snus, which hasn't caused a single death in history (as far as we know)). It can be done without much difficulty as opposed to quitting altogether and it is certainly a step in the right direction.
  18. rightct

rightct Community Champion

How I see things is as follows: Chewing tobacco might increase the chances of oral cancer, while smoking tobacco increases oral, throat and lungs cancer. Though I don't recommend doing the former in any way... it's not healthy whatsoever. Just quit smoking and/or chewing it.