An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Which movie or tv show depicts drug abuse most realistically?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by raidermari, May 15, 2015.

1. raidermari

raidermari Member

There's a really old movie that I think, very accurately depicts a person's struggle with alcohol addiction. It's called "The Lost Weekend".

Which movie or TV show in your opinion, depicts drug use most realistically from the user's point of view? Have you ever seen a movie which you related to very strongly? Was there ever any scene that hit close to home?
    Damien Lee likes this.
  2. zplohr

zplohr Member

This is a good question, I have found a Band named "Rehab" who I related to. It's intestins in the fact that they started as addicts in the beginning of theor music career, but found sobriety towards the end. Most of their music is about drugs and alcohol, but watching their music transform with their sobriety is fun.

Is "The Lost Weekend" on netflix?
  3. raidermari

raidermari Member

Oh that sounds interesting. I'm going to check that band out. It's always nice to see someone recover and find their way. It's probably a rare sight to see a whole band recover and become sober.

I Googled it and yes the movie is available on Netflix but not for live-streaming. You can rent the DVD on Netflix. I don't really know how that works because I don't have a subscription to Netflix. Hope you can find and watch it. Let me know if you do. Happy watching. :)
  4. zplohr

zplohr Member

Thank you. Most of the band made it through and are doing solo careers now. :] look for a song "amends". Also listening too "bottles and cans " then "I can't catch up to you" will give you a good example of their journey.
  5. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I would state that Doctor House does that pretty well, at least the psychologically aspect of an addict. House uses a lot of Vicodin and from time to time he used even morphine, however he had some reasons, but he also was an addict, his biggest addiction being solving puzzles.
    imperivm1 likes this.
  6. zplohr

zplohr Member

Watch the episode where house goes to treatment
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

And if we're talking about a film that depicts drug abuse and the the effects it can have, then trainspotting is definitely still worth watching. It's as relevant now, as what it was when it first came out.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have already watched The Wolf of Wall Street and Dallas Buyers Club. Both movies are really great. It would teach you a lesson about not to abuse drugs.
  9. egrocket1

egrocket1 Member

The Wild with Reese Witherspoon, is a great movie. It may do it a little bit cheesy, but it does accurately depict a drug addiction. In this movie, Reese Witherspoon's character is a drug addict going through recover. We see her go through withdrawal and detox. Great movie.
  10. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

T
    That sounds like an interesting one, I will have to check it out, I have not seen many films about addiction but I did enjoy 28 days with Sandra Bullock, I think the way everyone started smoking seemed pretty realistic as that is what a lot of people seem to do.
  11. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

In my opinion there is no better movie than Enter the Void by French director Gaspar Noé. This is an art house movie that is shot in Japan, from the point of view of westerners that are living in Tokyo. Gaspar is a drug user himself and knows what an acid / DMT experience is like. The genius of the movie is how he manages to fuse the actual experience the user goes through, right through to the actual death of the main character.

It doesn't end there though, the movie goes deeper and we start seeing the afterlife experience of the character. This is actually based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead, Buddhists or anyone interested in the religion should be familiar with it. What's interesting is the similarities of the afterlife and DMT experiences, as they are depicted in the film.
  12. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

I loved watching 'The Wolf Of the Wall Street'. The storyline didn't follow the 'addiction to sobriety' path (there was a lot more apart from that), but the way they depicted the effects of drug consumption was on spot.
  13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I'd really recommend you watch the movie "Requiem for a Dream". It's from 2000 and it depicts drugs and addictions really well.
    You will not regret watching it.
  14. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I watched a movie many years ago that never left my mind. It's a German film called "Christiane F. We children from Bahnhof Zoo". It depicts the drug scene in West Berlin in the 1970's and is based on a true story. It's a movie that made me think a lot. In fact, I recommend it to everyone.
  15. I've never done heroin, but I know someone who has. They say that the movie Another Day in Paradise, the drug parts, are pretty realistic, especially the possibility and occurrence of a relatively new user dying from an overdose, and how it kind of sucks you into needing and wanting more and more. Without this knowledge, I still thought it was a really good movie but knowing now that it's fairly realistic makes it a little sadder than it already was.
  16. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

House is a great example. The series is long enough for one to be able to track the differences in behavior throughout the years and compare how House is functioning while he is or isn't on drugs. It's a great show, a must for any TV series aficionado.