An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Who fault is it when teens sell or use drugs? Is it the parents or the government fault?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by twinworkxwellv, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Or is it the teenagers thing?

Or maybe is it the fault of a little of all?
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Rather than trying to apportion blame, it might be more useful to look at the social factors which might lead young adults to use drugs. Once we know what these factors are, we can attempt to take steps to change things.
    JonnyMacdonald and LilAnn like this.
  3. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I think that it is really situational. The government has not helped with the war on drugs, even though that issue is a completely different topic. If you are good parents and talk to your kids about the dangers of drugs, they may or may not listen to you. It does not matter how good of a parent you are, your kids are going to do whatever they want to do whenever they leave the house.
  4. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I agree with this. Let's not shift the blame. We should honestly try to discover why there is such a forbidden fruit stipulation surrounding drugs.
  5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Well, the government won't stand against drugs only because addicted people are much easier to manipulate and brainwash.
    That being said, I think that both the parents and the kid are to blame for this issue. That really depends on the situation and on their living conditions though.
  6. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

It's the parents' fault for raising the child who makes horrible decisions and chooses to throw his/her life away. It's also the teenager's fault for being an idiot.

But the government has nothing to do with it. They make it illegal to possess such substances plus they conduct drug searches in schools.
  7. kylekur22

kylekur22 Member

I think it's the fault of everyone involved. The teenagers fault for making bad choices and the parents fault for not being aware of the issue. Parents need to be more involved in their teenagers lives.
  8. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

its society's fault.
    we make drugs a taboo and when things become a taboo (like sex for instance) people (specially teens) want it so they do drugs, usually its only green because that's th drug that everyone knows is safe and does very little harm yet you get that buzz of it because its illegal
    sometimes its the teens fault
    sometimes its the parents fault
    and sometimes its the governments fault
    it depends on the circumstances
  9. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

Yep, and I'm living proof. Preacher dad, no smoking, drugs, drinking, potty mouth words in that household. So I did all of it.
  10. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

Its the teens choice, they are capable of making decisions. The fact is people need to stop hiding behind the "they're only children" excuse. The average teenager DOES know right from wrong. So you'll never get me to buy into the "only children" BS. Some blame does lie with the Government. Even more blame lies with the parent. But MAJORITY of the blame goes on the child that should have enough sense to know better.
    Winterybella and LilAnn like this.
  11. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

It's all the above. The Government for not stopping illegal drugs from entering the country. The parents are at fault for not paying attention to their on children and/or neglecting giving them a moral compass. And it's the child's fault for the lack of common sense. I agree with the other person that said the crap about teenagers being to young is ridiculous.
    Winterybella and LilAnn like this.
  12. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

BOTH.
    Parents more, though. It's our responsibility to raise our children well. I take full responsibility for my daughter (who is a preteen and about to be in the throes of peer pressure and making tough decisions herself and I think I have well prepared her).
  13. seatones

seatones Member

It's a combination of a lot different factors, I would say. It's a parent's responsibility to raise a child in hopes that this won't happen, but that's not a fool-proof plan. It's partially the government for having horrible drug policies, at least in America. It's also comes down to location, their friends, and the information that they have had access to. It's honestly so hard to pinpoint which one of these comes in to play the most, so it really has to be looked at from all angles. It's also always hard to tell if drug use/sales is just a phase or a serious, life-long problem, because high school is often a time where this is a phase.
  14. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

All I'm going to say is this. Unless someone forced the said child to take the product, then it's the child's fault. The problem is people want kids to escape any onus BECAUSE they're children. That's not how you raise strong adults. It's how you raise slackers.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  15. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think that's beautifully said, @shadowsupernature. Sometimes I think we as a society try to exonerate any guilt from kids, just because they're kids. Truth be told I know a lot of kids and teens who are absolute brats, despite having parents that try their very best to discipline their children and give them a well balanced home, responsibilities and so forth. You can have amazing parents and terrible kids, just as you can have terrible parents and amazing kids. Sometimes there are reasons for that and sometimes it's just a personality thing. I think youths need to be held responsible when they mess up - if you let them off the hook they're going to think that's how the real world operates and sadly that's not the case (most of the time, anyway...)
    Winterybella likes this.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

The teenagers should be also held responsible of their actions so that they could think or be more responsible.
    Parents, society and government could be factors of their decisions or wrong doings in life. I think parents are more liable since they are the ones taking care of their children and the ones who should support, teach and guide.
  17. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Everyone is responsible for the growing number of drug addicts and substance abusers in the world. Rather than putting the blame on other people, I think it is much better to find ways to help these people who are now dragging their lives down.
  18. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Why must there be always someone who should be blamed when teenagers make mistakes?

IMHO, teenagers are old enough to tell the difference between right and wrong. Even kids as young as eight do know what is right and what isn't.

Any teenager who sells drugs can't when questioned try to blame his parents, citing bad parenting as the reason why they decide to sell drugs. Neither can they blame the government for getting them into it because they [the government] failed to keep the drugs off the streets.

If they [teenagers] who sell drugs seek someone to blame then all they need to do is grab up a mirror and they'll see that person staring right back at them.
    LilAnn likes this.
  19. LilAnn

Good luck! I mean that sincerely, too. Some of us get very lucky, and some of us end up with kids just like I used to be.
    SarahWorksAtHome likes this.
  20. LilAnn

I've had friends who were good parents, stuck with a bad kid. The fact is, though, if you can manage keep the drugs away for them they'll resort to smoking bed bugs or drinking mouthwash.