An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Who fault is it when teens sell or use drugs? Is it the parents or the government fault?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by twinworkxwellv, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

I couldn't agree more. Bad sadly, imo, number of drug addicts will continue to grow as black markets are filled with new drugs everyday.
  2. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

My mom in an emotional argument with a preteen me actually said, "I hope you end up with one just like you so you can see what I'm going through" as I was already a rebel at 10.
    My kiddo has seen what problems her dad and I have faced as a result of even our decisions at her age so she's a wise child determined to be better than that.
    I feel she has the strength to stick to it and I am doing everything I can to see to it! She's a super great kid- I never have to ground her and rarely ever have to correct her behaviour. She's an "old soul". Not everyone is as lucky I guess! LOL
  3. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

This is it.
    The blame game is a big waste of time. Well I mean perhaps at the conclusion at looking at the facts someones deliberate actions were to blame then you work from there, but in these cases I don't feel it's always going to be simple.
    There are just so many factors.
  4. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I know plenty of people who have gone that route. It is a shame. I was raised in a Christian household, and thank God the Lord has been good to me.
  5. Matthodge1

The teens should definitely be held responsible. I do not think that anyone here is really saying otherwise. Everyone should be held accountable for their actions.
    LilAnn likes this.
  6. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

I don't think it's always the parents fault or the government, just like adults who sell drugs, teenagers have a mind of their own. A person can raise their child to do the right things but a child will sometimes go astray and go down the wrong path.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Lol, the goverment? We are all individuakls capable of taking our own decisions... we should all be held accountable for our own actions, no matter how old or young we are. That means we shouldn't be pointing fingers, because people needs to be responsible for their own well being, it's none but their fault if they start abusing durgs... no one else to blame really, because it's you and only you who made the decision.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Yeah, the situation is getting worse as time goes by. It is quite alarming. I hope people would start having some sort of self-discipline before they begin ruining their lives.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think it can be a combination of many different factors. Sometimes it a easy to just put the blame on the parents or say the addict hadn't had a good start in life, that's why they turned to drugs, but that's not always the case. There's many different reasons that people start using, I think instead of looking to blame others, it would be a lot better to actually look at the individual.
  10. mercshe

mercshe Member

Neither. A bad parent doesn't always produce a bad kid nor the government has anything to do with them selling drugs. It is in the teens' nature to be curious but satisfied curiosity should taught them what is best for their life and future. It is their choice in the first place to choose a better company to hang with. When my friend was in a bad social relationship before, she mishandled her life. But there's always a time to think otherwise, as she did. In the end, she has no one to blame but herself.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right. We do not have our freedom to think and do things even on young ages. Those choices or decisions can be influenced by the situation in the family, society and other factors.
  12. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

People do need to take responsibility for their own actions. There's no doubt about that.
    But I think the responsibility will fall on several people and factors. And all the other people that contributed to the issue need to take responsibility for their actions, as well.
    If I buy my son a shot of heroin, while its his fault that he's addicted to heroin its my fault for giving it to him. My son is still a kid. He isn't REALLY addicted to jerkin, or anything els. I just used it as an example.
  13. LilAnn

It sounds like you really have kid!
    When someone can honestly say that about their child you have to know you did something right
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  14. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I understand what you are saying, but I really didn't have in mind a scenario like that one in my mind when I talked about taking responbsability, I mean, how could I take into account bad parenting as a factor? I think that is implicit, it can and does happen, but my comment was directed more to the people who think they can blame everyone else (even the goverment) but themselves.

I can't stand that kind of people... Do I blame my mom for making me alcoholic? Hell no, I was little when I tried some alcohol, but it was when I grew up that I take the decision to start to drink. It'd be easy to blame her... I was a teen. But now as an adult I can say I don't blame her for the decision I made years later.

The same can't be said about kids who are almost forced to do drugs by the parents, after all kids trust their parents. So if your dad or mom gives you drugs, and tell you it's good or ok to try it... heck that's a totally different story.
    LilAnn likes this.
  15. LilAnn

Ok, I get what you're saying. Most teenagers blame someone else. I think kids end up telling that kind of story a lot. "It isn't my fault because..." When they're a kid.
    "What was I thinking? I did it, myself. No one made me" when they're an adult.
  16. Matthodge1

To be fair, though, this generation of kids is some of the most entitled and spoiled kids to ever walk the face of the earth. I am one of those kids, so I am speaking for my own generation.
    zaerine and LilAnn like this.
  17. Matthodge1

It is really sad to think about. There are people getting pumped with more deadly and addictive substances every single day. It's like people are making things to make the human experience suck, just for the sake of money.
  18. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

Oh my jeebus no joke! I'm appalled when I walk into my daughter's school at how some of the kids are even speaking to the adults! And at the store when I'm shopping and I observe some of the kids and their parents... it's all I can do to keep my mouth shut sometimes. The kids are basically getting away with murder these days! Man, my parents wouldn't have let me get away with that!
  19. LilAnn

No kidding!! 14 year old girls thinking they might be pregnant because her flat tummy feels harder today than yesterday. Or they're due for their period in 2 weeks so they might have gotten pregnant in last weekend. One girl are a huge dill pickle because her boyfriend's condom slipped off last night. But here's my favorite: the 12 year old girl I met with her one year old baby. I swear to god! She was 10 when her 17 year old boyfriend got her pregnant.

Screw someone's age... I don't care how old they are, if they're that ignorant about sex, then they shouldn't be having it. I don't know how this happens. I didnt even get my first kiss until around the time I turned 16. And that kiss came from my first boyfriend.
  20. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

True that the generation of kids now are really alarming. They like to mature early in terms of knowing relationships and what they can get or use but becoming less responsible or capable of themselves. The parents/guardians of this new generation should not just allow that.