An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Who fault is it when teens sell or use drugs? Is it the parents or the government fault?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by twinworkxwellv, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

When you mentioned deadly I remembered one drug - crocodile from Russia. It costs few dollars to make, but it literally makes you rot!

Ontopic: I don't think government has to do much with teens drug dealing... Parents? Maybe. But I think it's their own fault and peer pressure.
  2. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

You can never say who's fault it is, because it depends completely on the situation. I think that education is very important as a teen, because peer pressure to take drugs or drink alcohol can be huge - they may feel as though it's the "cool" thing to do, but when they're adults they will realise that this is anything but the truth! So at least if they have plenty of information available to them, they will be able to make a more informed choice, but even this might not be enough. They need the guidance of their parents and school, but that is not to say that either of those is to blame when that guidance is not followed. It is far too difficult to say.
  3. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Dude, I have not even heard of crocodile but that sounds dangerous. What exactly is it?

I don't think the government has really any input on drug dealing. I think that some parts of the war on drugs ruins the lives of some civilians, but that is another topic altogether.
  4. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

Pregnant fifth grader at my daughter's school last year. Lost the baby, family moved. Sad and awful for that girl as it was, from what I observed, due to a lack of parental guidance and attention.
  5. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

It's made out of gasoline, paint thinner, or lighter fluid, iodine, hydrochloric acid, and red phosphorus (from matches) :S
  6. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

The problem is people don't want to admit they are solely or even partially to blame. Until someone admits they did something wrong, its going to happen repeatedly. Everyone has to examine what they did and what they should have done and figure out what they need to do differently next time.
  7. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

^right. What LilAnn said. You have to LEARN from mistakes.
  8. brookeemily

brookeemily Active Contributor

I don't think there's necessarily anyone to blame other than the person using. The government can't do much more than they are already doing to prevent use. In some situations, parents may be able to take some of the blame, but in the long run they can't do anything to really stop it either. It all falls back onto the user, no matter what the circumstances really are.
  9. Matthodge1

Holy crap, that sounds terrible. I actually looked it up and watched a Vice documentary on it. Crazy stuff.
  10. Matthodge1

You also have to have enough humility to admit when you have made mistakes, as well.
  11. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

The kind of environment and set of peer groups or friends young people had plays a major role for their use of the toxic substance of drugs. Even these young people had good parents who always guide and remind them to avoid this thing they are not with them every hour and time of the day. Once their children goes out of the house they cannot see what they are doing to control their actions and behavior. And on the part of the government in as much they had taken the necessary steps and actions to stop this, and there still exist those drug lords selling this kind of toxic substances they cannot totally have full control about this. So I think the blaming depends on the kind of situation they are involved.
  12. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

Agree. Parents can raise their child well, but they don't have 24/7 control over him. It's really up to child - he is the one that makes decision.
  13. 6up

6up Community Champion

Everybody has the responsibility to ensure that we live in societies that are drug free. The government needs to enforce laws about drugs. That is why we have the police and the courts. They ensure that producers and traffickers do not prosper in the business. The work of the parents is to monitor their children from early age to make sure they do not use drugs. Incase their children start abusing drugs, they should give advice. Uncles can also give advice as well as aunts. The work of tho society is to give moral support so that children grow up with good morals. The teachers teach children and guide them as they grow so that they can be responsible people. I think everybody has a role to play.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Who is at fault when kids sell drugs you ask. The parents are responsible for the direction of their children. Where they live. What schools they go to. The other kids they hang around. A parent is at fault. They need to pay attention and make the best environment. Of course it doesn't necessarily mean that this is the cure all to end all. Every factor plays in. I grew up in a decent environment and had a ton of drugs around me as a teenager. I didn't deal or become an addict. My brother sold bubble gum and candy in school for a quarter each to make money.
    I think instilling the difference between right and wrong. Honesty and strong values. Some kindness and all of this. Teenagers should be able to be safe and rational decisions on their own regardless of the media, government, or peer pressure. The parents are the basis for the beginning of their life and it is in their hands.
  15. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

If the parent is a responsible parent and the teen does it - all on the teenager.
    If the teen learned it from watching parents do it, or had some other family issues where their needs weren't met appropriately then I think the parents and kids share blame. Still more blame on the kid though because they made the choice of their own free will. And yes, people of my generation and younger can be extraordinary entitled brats!

Government has nothing to do with it, not its job to raise children or make sure everyone makes the correct choices in life.
  16. NanouHammie

NanouHammie Member

There is no blame to point in any direction. These thing are bound to happen regardless of who the parent or governers are.
  17. Smartglaxx

Smartglaxx Member

In my opinion, real question is: "why would youths engaged in drug use?" Young people engage in drug use mostly as an escape from their problems. Since they are mostly still under the care of their parents, who do you think is more in a position to provide the needed emotional support for troubled youngsters? You're right, the parents. So when they turn to drugs, it's only logical to blame the parents.