An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Who is responsible for your addiction?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Aescopri, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

Was it your friends, who pressured you into drinking? Was it yourself that was affected by peer pressure? Was it your parents who drank alcohol near you when you were a child? Or was it your relatives who didn't realise your problem sooner?
    Or are we all at fault here?
  2. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Ultimately, every addict needs to take responsibility for their own addiction. In cases where one starts consuming alcohol at a very young age, the parents should bear responsibility. It's their duty to ensure their kids do not have access to alcohol within the household. They also need to carefully monitor who their kids hang out with in order to reduce the risk of any negative peer pressure.
  3. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Well, it's easy to point a finger. In many cases it's quite obvious who or what sparked excessive drinking. But as Damien Lee above already mentioned, in the end every addict needs to take responsibility for his or her actions. There might have been an overwhelming amount of factors that caused one to drink, but one can get out of that vicious circle by adopting sobriety again and trying to understand the root causes of the abuse.
  4. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I think the people around you can play a part, but ultimately, you and you alone are responsible for your own actions. Unless a substance was forced upon you, you chose to use it, and you chose to abuse it, even if you did not mean for that to happen. Taking responsibility is a big part of recovery. There will always be temptation in life, but when you take responsibility for your own choices, you are empowered to say "no" and stick to your resolution to not use again. Blaming others for it gives you an excuse to fail.
  5. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

It's your fault. Unless someone has been sneaking in your house and drugging you at night or forcing you to drink or do drugs by gun point, it's always your fault. My addictions exist(ed) because I chose to use a drug over and over again. And until one admits that, recovery can be a long, long road.
  6. henry

henry Community Champion

In all honesty, I never got addicted to anything besides cigarettes. What I did get addicted to was the partying, not the booze or the drugs. But, i must admit that I have to get wasted every weekend. And, nodoby forced me to do anything, everything I did, was because I wanted to.
  7. run2live

run2live Member

As others have said, the only person responsible for my actions is me. To blame anyone else for my choices is to deny myself the ability to control my own life, and that's something I won't do.

It's easy to blame others for handing us the drink, for passing down the genes that predispose us to addiction, for making products that are addictive, for pressuring us socially to try things we know we should avoid. In the end, though, we are in charge of our own lives. Our strength comes from realizing that and refusing to shirk that responsibility.
  8. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

Myself. Yes my dad was an alchoholic. Yes friends pressured me to drink. But - I'm the one who picked up the glass with the vodka in it. We ALWAYS have a choice in the actions we take, and are responsible for that choice. No one can blame their parents, family, or friends for their drinking.
  9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Me. Simple as that. I'm the only one who's responsible for my drinking addiction. I had control over it but I thought things were going be easy so I just laughed off my concerns. I found out later that things weren't as easy as I thought they would be and that was when I started to lose control over myself. I had a choice to make and I made the wrong one.
  10. L_B

L_B Community Champion

A lot of things happen in life that you can blame for an addiction but the addict is responsible for their own action I believe. They are the ones who make the decision to start and to continue. They are one who have to accept the responsibility of they want to clean up. People are so quick to blame society and others for their problems.
  11. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

I don;t think I can blame anybody. It just is. I don't really blame myself because where would that get me? Depression? Regret? I don't think it's healthy to point fingers at anyone.
  12. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I'm clean now. In the past, my wild guess would be that my entourage was responsible for putting me in this horrendous world, despite me being sternly against it. After some time, they started ignoring me, so I divined I needed to become them if I wanted to stay around anymore. Guess what, it didn't do me any good. You'd be better if you simply searched for people that suit your liking.
  13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I was not really an addict before, but I was sort of a heavy drinker in high school and college. However, there's no one to be blamed for that but myself. I think it was more of lack in self-discipline and self-control.
  14. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

You can be in a number of difficult circumstances in life, but ultimately I think that it is vital that we all take responsibility for our own addiction, as it is the only way that we are ever going to be able to get any better and move forward with our lives. I know now that although life was hard for me when I first started drinking, it was still my choice to use that as my coping mechanism, and I cannot blame anybody else for it.
  15. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Peer pressure is the culprit. For most people, not just young people, they start using drugs because their friends use them drugs or actively try to get them to "give it [whatever drug it is] a try." Those who get to be alcoholics aren't any different. They want to fit in. Be like everyone else. Most of my friends who are alcoholics started drinking alcohol thusly and a little while later, they were addicted.
  16. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Blaming others for a situation that we end up in is just looking for an excuse in my opinion. At the end of the day there's only one person that responsible for our own actions and that's our self.

Others might have an influence, but ultimately it's only you that can decide how your life turns out.
  17. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I think there can always be contributing factors outside yourself. Sometimes it'll do you the most good to acknowledge those people or things rather than just taking it all on your shoulders. Now that doesn't steal from your personal responsibility it just speaks to the idea that some people can not handle being around those that are dealing with their own addictive issues or people who can push you emotionally to negative places that encourage your abuse. Acknowledging that & creating distance can only help you with your personal journey.
  18. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

It was my friends who lured me into drinking. I enjoyed after a first few sips. We had it regularly along with calorie-rich foods and spices as that elevated our high of alcohol. Worse still, we binged every time and woke up with a strong headache the next day. I was the worst-hit. I stopped it cold-turkey following an incident.