An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why are teetotalers considered cowards?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Elendil, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Elendil

Elendil Active Contributor

This society of ours has some skewed view about certain things, and one of them is definitely regarding alcohol. In most countries and in most social gatherings, the teetotalers are treated as an unsocial or aloof person, just because he/she doesn't drink alcohol. It has been proven through repeated studies that bosses distrust an employee who never drinks alcohol than the one who does, regardless of his actual performance at the workplace. "Don't invite him to the party, he's not a cool guy. Why? It's cuz he doesn't drink alcohol." This kind of conversation is kinda common among the younger generation.

Why is that? Why have we put this deadly drug on such a high pedestal? And how can we combat this problem? What are your opinions?
  2. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I believe you have some point here but it is not exclusive as you say. It really depends on many factors I think. In some countries it is against the law to drink alcohol in public and it is hard even to buy alcohol. I think Qatar and some other countries are like that. I noticed that it has become a bit different these days. At least in my environment and with friends that are my age. It has been something we do not give too much attention and I hang out with friends who rarely ever drink when they go out to party.
  3. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

I personally have never heard anyone say that, although I have experienced a bit of social pushback for choosing not to drink. I suppose the stigma is that you're either stuck up, or that you feel like you're better than everyone else, but who cares? You're choosing to take care of yourself in your own way, why should it matter what anyone else thinks?
  4. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I hate the "macho-tough" attitude pushed on us my alcohol marketers.
    It's very common here in North America.
    I believe it's part of the consumer aspect of booze, companies show their products as being sexy, cool, attractive you know what I mean. Beer commercials with young ladies in bikinis, or men chopping wood and fixing cars ect ect.
    As a former alcoholic, I can tell you this is not the face of the common drinker.
    Find a local bar and walk in at around 2pm, there you will see the true face of the common drinker.
    Drunk, broke and alone sitting at the bar stool, talking about the good ol days. It's a depressing affair.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

There were instances that I was called "KJ" or kill joy just because I did not drink or even sip an alcoholic beverage. But I do not mind that and firmed on what I do not want.
    Right that is some societies or groups, they see drinking as part of having fun and they think they cannot really have fun or party without drinking.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Alcohol for some reason is associated with "fun". Maybe it's because it makes people less inhibited. That's where we should all start from if at all alcohol is to be robbed of it's allure. Teach kids from an early age how to have without needing some crutch to help them be themselves in any situation. Otherwise people will always be using alcohol to deal with social anxiety in social situations.
  7. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I think that it's just the first impression, afterwards people pretty much accepts people that don't drink alcohol. In fact very often that person ends up being the designated driver.
  8. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

If anyone is making fun of you for not drinking, you are hanging out with the wrong crowd! I have friends who drink. I have friends who do not drink. Neither makes fun of the other. It is up to each of us to spend our time with those who are kind and accepting of us. If that is not happening, I would definitely look for a new set of friends!
  9. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

It don't think I've ever heard teetotalers referred to as cowards. I've heard the stereotypical "you aren't fun," but other than that, I've never really heard them described as cowards or aloofs. I think people generally respect those that choose not to drink.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I'm not sure that I've ever heard anyone call a non-drinker a coward, it doeas seem that these days, especially here in the UK anyway, if you don't drink then there's something wrong with you.

It's a sad state of affairs if people can enjoy themselves without having a drink but feel they have to have one, just to keep others happy.
  11. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I quit drinking 7.5 years ago and I've never had anyone call me a coward, say I wasn't any fun, or anything else like that. Of course, they could be saying it behind my back. But I don't think so.
  12. pwarbi

I'm sure that there are a lot of people that don't care if a person drinks or not, but there are some that purposely won't go out or date somebody for example who doesn't drink.

While they might not think it makes that person any less fun, they'll think that if you're not drinking, then they can't either, and THAT might make THEMSELVES less fun!
  13. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I don't think that is something that necessarily can be fixed, it's like everything in life: relative. Not everyone thinks like this, but I have to admit that alcohol is a big part of social and obviously professional life, most of the time we don't take alcohol seriously, and I think that has to do a lot with social acceptance of alcohol, people tend to perceive it as something cool, fun, acceptable and almost as an inoffensive way to socialize.
  14. pwarbi

I think your probably right, and alcohol is engrained to far into our society for it to change completely overnight.

The mentality towards alcohol needs to be changed, but that's going to take a long period of time, and I certainly don't think I'll see huge changes, not even in my lifetime unfortunately.
  15. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I've lost potential "friends" and been un-invited to one party I was invited to, which was likely due to my lack of drinking. This doesn't bother me to be honest. I've got a good circle of friends, who I can hang out at any time without feeling obliged to drink. Incidentally, some of my friends do drink but they respect my position as a non-drinker.
  16. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I guess for some people they will feel more comfortable drinking when surrounded by other drinkers. It might make them feel awkward standing next to someone who wont drink when you are trying to drink. I also think it has something to do with age. I don't think people who are much more mature don't mind others not drinking. besides, if everyone is going to drink, who will be the designated driver?
  17. pwarbi

The western world is a strange culture when it comes to drinking alcohol, and I think here in the UK its the worst. If a person is a alcoholic and doesn't say anything and is stood at a bar drinking beer, nobody says anything. If they know they have a problem, so at a bar order an orange juice, everyone thinks oh look, he must have a problem!
  18. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

Our generation is becoming destroyed because of the so-called 'New Normal'. If you do not drink, smoke or take drugs, you are considered an ancient specie. It hurts me really bad that morals are not promoted anymore; what we considered moral or godly has been turned around to be termed 'uncool'.
  19. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Sadly there is not much we can do about it, drugs and alcohol are used by many individuals as a business, and as long as that business pays well it will continue. This is the world we live in :( And this is how it will continue until the very end of it.