New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why are the effects of Xanax so underestimated?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by TinVanMan, Apr 5, 2015.

1. TinVanMan

TinVanMan Member

I have had long history of being around drug users and abusers. Certain drugs make people act, generally, in certain ways. This seems to be the basis for our judgment of a drug in society. People on crack tend to be very anxious and often turn to crime for money to get a fix. When I see people abusing Xanax they really seem to lose all control. They are vicious and never seem to see that their actions might be immoral. They are terrifying, really. Why is it that society doesn't seem to act like Xanax is an incredibly powerful, destructive drug? Is it the legal status, or is it just that maybe people think someone on Xanax is actually on another drug?
  2. I've been around people with Xanax dependency, and I've never known them to be vicious or acting immorally. I'm not discounting your experience, just saying that it really does vary for a lot of people. I don't know why Xanax isn't up there with other drugs as far as stigma and perception. I think in a way it's a little trendy, plus it's so well known. People joke about "needing a Xanax" all the time. I think we, as a culture, have become a little desensitized to it perhaps. It could be, like you said, if someone is acting really "out there", nobody suspects Xanax.
  3. RobertBlat

RobertBlat Member

That's not Xanax... Xanax is a benzodiazepine. It calms you, makes you feel serene, etc. I've taken it as prescribed for anxiety and it certainly did its job. The reason it's so widely abused is because it's THAT easy to get - I needed it legitimately, but it's so easy to feign anxiety and get some Xanax if you push for it. But I think most recreational Xanax users would probably be using harder prescription drugs if they could get their hands on them.
  4. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I think it's not only the legal status, also a lot of the people who are prescribed Xanax don't "look" like addicts. And, on some occasions, people really do need something that strong.
  5. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I, think it is not fully understood and also it is hard to know the full effects of the drug since diffeent people don't get affected the same way as some do. Some people misuse it and, think it is alright to take this drug as it may seem good to do it and view it as a relief from stress and problems. Xanax can be sometimes hard to understand, as online information can be conflicting and also Xanax may not be viewed as a dangerous drug at all.
  6. Christian

Christian DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Xanax (alprazolam) has been around since the early 80's and as a result has gained wide acceptance as an effective anti-anxiety medication. That would probably explain why it doesn't carry the same judgmental stigma or stereotype as other drugs. The acceptance of Xanax has allowed it to be more widely used, it has become one of the more abused benzodiazepine type drugs due to it's pharmacological properties. Such as high potency, being short-acting and having a rapid onset of action increase the abuse potential of alprazolam. The physical dependence and withdrawals also adds to the addictive nature of alprazolam. In low doses it doesn't seem to have as many negative effects, but in higher doses it has an increased risk for dependance and abuse.
    I believe that a lot of the prescription drugs, such as Xanax, as well as many others don't gain notoriety for being as dangerous as they actually are purely based on the fact that Dr.'s are prescribing them. And with that goes a level of acceptable risk that society or the medical field has gotten used to pinning on the abusive nature of a patient instead of on the fact that Dr.'s need to shoulder some of the responsibility for these sort of addictive drugs they are making so readily available to the public for issues that don't always necessitate medicating and certainly not with such potent, highly addictive medication.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I think that because Xanax is so easily available from the doctor, it isn't seen as being a "drug" at all. More of a "mother's little helper". It seems to have become quite socially acceptable and I wonder if that's because you don't always need to visit some seedy back street dealer to obtain it.
    Ozzy and Christian like this.
  8. Christian

Christian DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Very true Missbishi... Very true.
  9. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Because many people are just now starting to realize the dangers and damages of pills. It's sad, because Xanax is becoming one of the fastest growing pills and has killed many people throughout the years, most recently the celebrity ASAP Yams.
  10. fagoot1

fagoot1 Member

Xanax is being prescribed a lot lately. I know a lot of people who are taking it with no medical reason just to sleep or calm their nervous. I have some history with Xanax dependence and it is really addicting . I wish they would treat it as a more serious drug.
  11. Merovingia

Merovingia Member

It's the combination of Xanax and alcohol that causes viciousness. Xanax alone may calm someone, but when you mix it with alcohol it'll make a monster out of someone. I've observed this on 5 separates, 2 of which were murder cases, and 1 was a suicide. That's what brought me to this forum; research. Serious medical/scientific research should be done on Xanax and alcohol.
    deanokat likes this.
  12. kujimo

kujimo Member

Have to agree with all of you. Xanax and all the benzo sedatives are too easy to get.
    My doctor prescribed tranxene to me 20 + years ago. Telling me it was a MILD anti anxiety ..And that I could continue to take it. He continued to prescribe it. Then he retired.
    My new doctor informed me of exactly what I have been taking..I was shocked. Then read on line and was terrified.I had no idea.
    I think many people get addicted thinking they are taking MEDICINE that the doctor prescribed .Without a clue.
    Not thinking for one second they could become addicted.
    I already dropped 1/4 the dose and found out that I have become physically dependent. Having lowered the dose myself over the years to just ONE 3.75 mg pill daily.. half am and the other half pm.
    Thinking I was being responsible .
    I had a couple weeks of misery just lowering it 1/4 the pill.
    Well. Here I am looking for withdrawal help. AS I heard it will only get worse.
    Its time we took the stigma off of so many.. And realized many many people get hooked without having a clue.
    Especially if they trust their doctors, or before the internet was here to enlighten people.
    Saying it was mild, and that I could take it as long as I needed it and the fact he simply kept prescribing it. Assured me it was very safe and MILD..
    Aways research medication ..Now that the internet is here. And available ..
    Many older people only had friends to ask and family etc. They knew as little ..
    The internet is great advantage today.
    Ozzy likes this.
  13. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@kujimo i'm so sorry you are struggling with this. i agree your dr could have informed you better through the years...

hoping you will get some answers and effectively taper off...
  14. Ozzy

Ozzy Member

15. Ozzy

Ozzy Member

It's not underestimation tin...it's called ignorance or denial...take your pick.
  16. Dominica

@Ozzy @TinVanMan hey there! for me it would be ignorance... b/c i just don't know anyone who has abused Xanax (or didn't know about it if they did) i believe abusing it could cause someone to become as you describe... probably affect different people differently.

it's just not talked about as much as some of the other drugs. and sounds like you do have exp. being around those that are abusing it.
  17. Hi_Im_Shawn

Hi_Im_Shawn Member

This is one drug I will NEVER take again, even if prescribed by a doctor. NOTHING good has EVER come from me taking Xanax. It disables the "common sense" part of my brain. You know, the part that says, "don't cuss out your boss and quit your job", or "don't punch that HUGE guy in the face", or "don't walk up to that random girl and tell her let's have sex"...I am very lucky that I have not ended up dead or imprisoned for life for some of the RIDICULOUS things I've gotten myself into after taking Xanax.
  18. Dominica

@Hi_Im_Shawn you took the Xanax as prescribed? i think meds ought to be a last resort for anxiety disorders, but some people do well on it... but it's not meant to be a lifelong thing either. there are many tools, techniques, and alternative anxiety reduction tools people can learn....
  19. True concern

True concern Community Champion

I will answer the inital question.It underestimated because Dr prescribe it i wondered same about Ritalin,in the end it almost cost me my life.Stay Strong
  20. Josh111187

Josh111187 Active Contributor

You know I have taken a lot of Xanax and never ever ever in a million years would I behave as described.
    However, when I ran out that was a different story. Maybe it's not the problem with this person taking the drug(never seen anything like that with someone on just Xanax) it would be more likely that they ran out of it.
    Then what your description portrays perfectly is a benzo dependent person who is benzo deprived.