An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why are the effects of Xanax so underestimated?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by TinVanMan, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Workingonit

Workingonit Member

Like all drugs, different people respond in various ways. I have seen people - many of them - say and do things on Xanax that they would never do when sober or even under the influence of something else. For example, I can't tell you how many people confessed that they shoplift while on Xanax. Or how many people "turn into monsters" when on it, becoming extremely unpleasant or horrible to others. All it ever did to me was put me to sleep.
    As to why doctors keep prescribing it... that is another question entirely. It is very politically driven. Right now, Xanax is not on the chopping block as the scourge of society. A few years ago, oxycodone was being touted as "practically harmless" because Purdue pharma had used their marketing strategies to convince doctors to prescribe it for everything from headaches to cancer. There are many benzos out there that would probably be a better choice for an anxiety disorder, but doctors prescribe Xanax over and over. Ask yourself why, and do some research. You'll probably find it has something to do with the pharmaceutical company, its lobbying power, etc.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Excellent point, @Josh111187. What you describe could be spot-on.