An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why are there no statutory warnings on alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Elendil, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Elendil

Elendil Active Contributor

Whenever you see an advertisement related to tobacco smoking, you get (in most countries anyway) a standard statutory warning that advises against smoking tobacco as it can cause serious illnesses? But why aren't the same warnings applied when alcohol is advertised/sold in the market? Considering it ranks the second in the list of most dangerous(and lethal) drugs used for recreational purposes? (The deadliest is heroin, and the third is cocaine, for those who're interested.)

What are your thoughts?
  2. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Perhaps a powerful booze lobby has stopped this from happening?
    Some places are stating to add warnings, things like consume moderately, alcohol hurts pregnancies and don't drink and drive but I don't think it's enough.
    One place that does this is Iceland actually, they have some VERY strict laws regarding alcohol.
    Elendil likes this.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Do the statutory warnings even help? Cigarettes have these warnings but smokers often ignore them. Though I've seen some "some drink responsibly" messages added to alcohol ads I don't think alcoholics heed the warnings. And when the alternative "enjoy responsibly" is used then it doesn't help at all.
    Elendil likes this.
  4. Elendil

Well, it actually does help in a way. Cigarette smoking has hit an all time low due to mass health education campaigns, in which these warnings and graphic images played a big part. Unless we do the same for alcohol and fail, I don't think we should give up on the idea that a simple statutory warning on every bottle of beer cannot bring down alcoholism, even by a small fraction.
    JonnyMacdonald and Rainman like this.
  5. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

I think part of the reason is because you can drink and it have no ill effects on you, just depending on how much you drink. Smoking, on the other hand, is like a downward spiral to your health as soon as you take that first puff.
  6. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I honestly don't know and that's ridiculous. You see commercials for it but that's about it. Nothing from the manufacturer about caring of the dangers.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I think most people are aware of how bad alcohol really is, unless we are talking of really ignorant people who have been living under a rock for a very long time. Or at least this is what I'd like to believe, lol, because there are some really dumb people out there with no common sense who doesn't have a second though whenever they drink...
  8. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

That's a good question. I'm sure business interests have something to do with it. That, and the fact that you can drink a little bit of alcohol and not have any problems. Where as, smoking even a little bit can put you at risk for cancer. But to make a long story short, I have no idea as I haven't done any research on the matter.
  9. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I think that they should carry warning labels. Not the anybody who abuses it would care but I think it is a good idea. I know it would probably be an expense to do and nobody would pay much attention to it.
  10. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

This is a good question. It is mandatory that there be advertised warnings about the negative effects from sm0king because it is deemed that smoke from the cigarette could harm or kill people. Alcohol usage may also cause death and harm, therefore, I believe that that it is imperative that there should also be warnings about the negative effects from alcohol usage.
  11. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

This is an interesting question that I have never thought about. In our country, government has introduced regulations on cigarette manufacturing that makes mandatory to include a photo of damaged lungs from tobacco use along with the warning. However, alcohol does not even have warning.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Here in the UK on advertising and on the packaging we have warning on there, usually about drinking to much and drinking responsible.

There's also the recommended daily units on there to give people a guide as to if and when they're drinking too much, so there are warnings out there, they're just maybe not as noticeable.
  13. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Alcohol in moderation can be healthy, this is much different from cigarettes. They do have commercials where they tell people to drink responsibly tho. They really can't make the same types of claims about alcohol that they can make about cigarettes. The best thing they can do is tell you not to over do it.
  14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Law makers and legislators are all alcoholics. No, I'm just joking. That is a good point. The people need to organize and have their local representatives put that into law or effect. That's the only way things can and will get done. Awareness and action. Sitting down and contemplating about it wont do anyone any good.
  15. pwarbi

Another argument is just how much influence does these warnings have in the first place?

As with smoking, we all know the dangers and the risks involved anyway, without having warnings put in front of us.

While I think they can be a deterrent, a lot is smokers ignore those warnings so I think drinkers will just do the same with these.
  16. Elendil

You should read my previous post on this subject. Due to vigorous campaigning against tobacco smoking, that included mass education programs making the use of graphic images of small cell carcinoma of the lung on the cigarette packs in various countries, smoking has hit an all time low. And smoking, at one time, was thought to cure all diseases, from stomach ache to tuberculosis. Then why not do the same with alcohol? We haven't done it yet, so why give up without even trying?
  17. pwarbi

But how do we know for a fact that it's because of these warnings and images on packets that's the reason people have decided to try and quit?

I know a lot of ex smokers and the main reason they have stopped is because they simply can't afford it anymore because of the price increases. Who's to say that if the cost of a packet of cigarettes was the price it was a few years ago that the warnings on the packets wouldn't have made much difference?
  18. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

''Good'' politics by big brewers. it is all lobbying and propaganda. I guess people should already know that alcohol is bad for them. You don't need to read it from a statement or to be told by anyone. That goes for cigarettes as well but we still appreciate those statements. However, I don't know if we would change anything or not even if we had these on the back of our booze. It is hard to quit as much as cigarettes.
  19. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

In here, there will be just "Drink responsibly" kind of warning at the end of an alcoholic beverage commercial. I think the main reason is that they did not see it as a bad beverages or bad substance but just something you should control yourself.
  20. pwarbi

The main reasons that they put those generic kind of warnings though, is mainly to cover themselves. If and when people do get addicted to a substance, the companies themselves can't be held accountable.