An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why are there no statutory warnings on alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Elendil, Feb 22, 2016.

1. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Well, I don't think there is anyone on this world who isn't aware of what alcohol can lead to. But I do see your point. There is a problem, though: you can't really compare apple cider with vodka, for example. In the end, they are both alcoholic beverages, but the effects of drinking a bottle of apple cider are way less severe than the effects of drinking a bottle of vodka.

Basically, you can't put all of them in the same category.
  2. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

I do not think it is the government's job to protect us from our bad choices. Consuming an alcoholic drink now and then is not deadly. Smoking any number of cigarettes can be deadly. There is a warning label on alcoholic beverages in the US. If watching a commercial makes someone go by beer and drink irresponsibly, I think they have a problem and it isn't the governments job to watch out for them.
  3. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Most ads in the US advise consumers to "drink responsibly". Lame, I know, but that's what's there.
  4. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I think I've seen warnings about pregnant women and drinking. Although, maybe it wasn't on the bottle, but I feel like I've seen them on the fine print of alcohol ads. I could be confusing them with cigarettes. I think overall, you are correct. Outside of the "drink responsibly" stuff, they don't really warn of the other negative health effects.