An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why Can’t I Quit Weed?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by lonewolves, Jun 4, 2018.

1. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@CMMW... I don't think @Dominica or anybody else here is telling people to try and get clean and sober on their own. I'm pretty sure we are all of the opinion that getting help is the best way to go about it. That said, to say that nobody gets clean and sober on their own would be a lie. So if somebody asks, "Is it possible to get sober without any help?" we're likely to say that it is possible. But not probable. Because to say it's not possible isn't the truth. I hope that makes sense.
    Dominica and True concern like this.
  2. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

Thats fine and we all don’t have to be on the same page. What does it mean to be a “drugabuse.com community organizer”?
  3. Cametobelieve0202

Also I posted this on your profile a few days ago but you never got back to me, do you have time now to explain what this means?

[​IMG]
    CMMW
    Hey so I was looking at the “notable members” your the only one that has posted since 2016. What happend to the rest of them?
  4. deanokat

"Community Organizers" and "Community Listeners" are moderators for the forum.

When you say you posted on my profile, do you mean you sent me a PM? Because I haven't seen anything posted from you to me directly. I also can't see whatever it is you attached to your comment. I just see an image of a square with a question mark in it. Can you clarify?

I don't know what happened to the rest of the notable members. When people decide to move on from the forums, we do not keep track of where they go or why. It will be the same when you stop posting here and someone asks, "Where did @CMMW go?" I won't have an answer for them.

Let me know if you have any more questions. And thanks for being part of the community!
  5. Cametobelieve0202

Well, I wouldn’t leave without saying goodbye :)
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  6. Cametobelieve0202

I just went to your “profile page” and wrote that “

[​IMG]
    CMMW
    Hey so I was looking at the “notable members” your the only one that has posted since 2016. What happend to the rest of them?”

That was me copying and pasting the message I posted to your profile, the box with a question mark is where my picture was. Guess it doesn’t paste over.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@CMMW i think of it more as a spectrum... some addicts may be mild, some moderate, some off the chain hard core... so many factors involved.... and there's so many theories that it gets confusing.

where do you get your statistics?

then there is the group that are substance abusers, but maybe not addicts. or binge users.... or those that use it to cope when they're going through crap, but stop when they are not....

i don't know. but i do think that many do need professional help to stop the addictive behavior. and many WON'T reach out for help, but suffer...and that sucks.
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  8. Cametobelieve0202

Both of my parents studied to be AODA counselors at Hazelden. They each were AODA counselors for 30 some years working with addicts/alcoholics in crisis everyday. (both retired last year). They also both are coming up on 35 years sober and have been active members of AA and Alanon for the entirety. I can’t remember which one told be that but it was before I got sober, I’d imagine it was my dad as he’s more of a numbers guy. But that statistic has stuck with me. I can ask him if he remembers his source on that statistic if you like.
    Dominica, True concern and deanokat like this.
  9. Cametobelieve0202

Also while I was in treatment (at each of the 4) they often told us only 25% of you are going to get clean this time (meaning this round of treatment as it’s quite common for addicts and alcoholics to have to go through treatment several times). That usually meant maybe 2 or 3 out the group I was in. And another 20-30% of you will eventually get sober (meaning through another treatment program or eventually down the line). Thus they were saying only 1/2 of us who got to treatment would actually get and stay sober. Reiterating the 90% die without help, 10% get help and 1/2 of that 10% stays clean.
    deanokat likes this.
  10. Cametobelieve0202

When they told be that the last time I was in treatment I was so sick and tired of being sick and tired and was like “I’m going to make damn sure I’m one of those two people”.
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  11. deanokat

:)
  12. True concern

True concern Community Champion

You better not leave,we all need each other so i hope you are not going anywhere.
    deanokat likes this.
  13. True concern

I agree that it sucks many won't reach out,i would rather someone reach out and be an asshole than not reach out at all
    deanokat likes this.
  14. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@CMMW i take many statistics with a grain of salt... they matter, but they aren't always accurate...

thanks for your input and that's wonderful about your parents. i could sit and talk with them for hours about their work for that many years!
    lonewolves and deanokat like this.
  15. Cametobelieve0202

That’s true. But it’s a rough estimate. I’ve kept in contact with all the people from my last treatment. Most went back to using right away, some are in jail or were, one in prison, one died. one guy stayed sober with me until about two years ago (had 2 1/2 years clean) then went back out but he’s come back again and just got 60
    days clean. One lady keeps relapsing but she keeps coming back. Long story short I am the only one of the 10 that is still sober. So your right, my 25% was too high that time, that time it was only 10%.

16. Cametobelieve0202

I don’t plan on leaving, I do need as much support as I can get. That being said, I’d really encourage everyone here to find several means of support for their addiction. Let’s say I lost my internet or phone or whatever I still have several means of support. Meetings, sponsor, friends in the program. I know it’s not your first name but when I read your posts I like to call you “True” as if it is lol. Anyway so True, while this forum adds a lot to my recovery, it’s not my main source of support. Does that make sense? I think we all need to see, touch, and hear other addicts. We need to really be in their presence. I wish all of you were in my city so we could see each other on a daily/weekly basis. Now since that’s not possible and I’ve really grown to care about you I’ll take what I can get (this forum) as a means of communication. This forum is that “something extra” that helps us stay sober but it can’t replace the in person contact and comradery of meetings and sponsorship.
  17. True concern

I agree we all need multiple avenues of support for a healthy successful recovery process and i am glad you plan on sticking around.Many of us are new to this sobriety thing so we are slowly adapting and it will take time to adjust to everything.I believe most of us addicts well at least myself isolated while diving deep into drug use and lost a feeling of what normal interaction looks and feels like.I know here very soon like by next week i am going to have to figure something out as my uncle will be getting out of jail and coming back to my mom's and i just can't live under the same roof with a person who absolutely loves everything about meth and i know he will be back on it in under 24 hour's of his release.Ya i got to think about this because i have no idea what i'm going to do
    lonewolves and deanokat like this.
  18. Cametobelieve0202

Oh no, I’m sorry your being put in that situation. That sucks just sucks!!! I’m sure you don’t want to leave your mom. Ugh. And it’s never a good idea for someone in recovery to be under the same roof and an active addict. God that would be awful. When the heroin addict in my life has come to stay with us, the amount of anxiety I feel is unbearable. And that wasn’t even what I was addicted to. Aww, I’m just sorry that this is happening in your life, especially at 5 months of sobriety. Maybe the guy will wind up back in jail sooner than later and you can stay with your mom and maintain your serenity. In regards to isolation, I think that’s super common among addicts/alcoholics. I have a tendency to want to isolate, I think most of us to. I try to counter that by telling myself I’m going to go to at least 2 meetings a week. If I make a commitment to myself I’m usually quite good at keeping but. Also I signed up to chair for the month of June at my home group ( just one of those “extra things” that I’ve talked about that will help keep me on the right track). Good luck with this situation you’ve been put in. And please keep me posted on how things are playing out.
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  19. Cametobelieve0202

How does one become a moderator or organizer? Do you work for the website?
  20. deanokat

@True concern... I'm sorry you're having to deal with your uncle. I know that's a very difficult situation for you to be in. Has there been any talk at all about having him go somewhere else? Or establishing boundaries if he's going to live under your mom's roof? Him coming back and going back on meth seems like the worst possible scenario. :(
    True concern likes this.