An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why did you restart smoking after quitting once?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by serpes, Apr 15, 2015.

1. serpes

serpes Member

We quit smoking and expect never to relapse again. But sometimes we do, usually in the first few months. It happened to me twice. What do you think are the reasons that happens? And what should we do to avoid this? Is it true that the more times you try to quit, the better your chances of success are?
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I found that I just wasnt ready to quit the first time I tried. I was being told and asked to quit by memebers of my family and in the end I just gave in. As you can imagine it didnt last long and within a couple of weekes I was back smoking again. I think if you really want to quit then you can but youve got to want to do it yourself and now do it just because your being pressured into it.

A few years ago I decided to cut down instead of quit and it seemed to work for me, I can still have a smoke as and when I want to but I now feel that i'm in control of the nicotine and not the other way round.

I wonder what the most ridiculous reason is for starting again? your favourite sports team lost or something like that?
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Because I took the wrong road. I tried to quit smoking all togheter and that failed because after 2 days I was back burning them one by one.
    I then started to quit gradually and that was the way to go.
  4. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

I started smoking, as a young teenager. Back then, it was not a big deal. I had very strict parents, except on the issue of smoking. I know, sounds a bit backwards these days. Anyways, I always told myself while I was pregnant, I would not smoke. On both occasions, I did stop. The problem was I never told myself that I would stop forever.
  5. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Well I believe we start again, because we are so full of ourselves. We believe that we can manage the addiction, and smoke only from time to time, at least that's what I've tried, first a cigar, then 2, then cigarettes, and before I even know I start smoking everyday thinking why the heck did I started over again. The only way to manage the addiction is by not having it. So if you stop, don't ever try to light one again.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I've quit then started back up again countless times. I always thought "one won't hurt" and of course it did! I've been quit for 4 months now with the help of e-cigarettes. Yes, I'm still a nicotine addict but the benefits vaping has brought to both my health and my wallet are immesurable. I truly believe I've quit for good this time.
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

The road to recovery isn't always smooth-sailing so for some people, it's inevitable to relapse. However, just because you fell once or twice, that doesn't mean you should give up the fight. It pays to try harder until you get there. You have to be truly motivated to succeed at quitting. Without a clear drive, you'll just keep going back and forth. Asking for support is also necessary. Kind friends and family members will never hesitate to give you a push. You should also think of them and how they'd feel should you fail in your attempt to quit smoking.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Relapsing is common when trying to give up any drug but I'd suggest that it's even more common when it comes to giving up tobacco.

It seems that nearly every ex smoker as tried to give up countless times before they actually manage it.

Even people that do manage to quit also sometimes go back to smoking after a few years so I guess it just shows how powerful a drug it really can be.