An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

WHY DID YOU START USING?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Adrianna, Sep 8, 2015.

1. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

He wasn't really my friend, he was a friend of my friend, I just knew him, besides that, I had it coming, I mean soon or later I was going to try drugs, maybe this is better because I could've tried harder drugs like opiates. but I'm changed, I take care of myself and won't let anyone have a bad effect on my life.
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I started smoking and drinking to forget. To forget about my abusive mother, my addicted relatives and the death of so many loved ones, including a friend hit by a train. Also, to forget about my depression and suicidal thoughts. But no matter how much I used these substances, I got sadder with every day that passed. Only quitting it and my old lifestyle made me feel alive.
  3. Chriswriter

Chriswriter Member

When I was 18. I'd never been out to the pub before that so I was a late starter, but I certainly made up for it. I didn't even realise I had a problem until years later. When I was 21 and in college I sued to daydream in class and see bottles of liquor. I've been sober for years now but at the height of my addiction, I was drinking 2 bottles of whisky a day. I'd say general lack of confidence would be my reason for increased drinking, but the first thing I learnt in recovery was excuses do no good. In the end I chose to drink and chose to stop
  4. kmars

kmars Active Contributor

I know exactly what you mean, but it's only a temporary deception. Within a few hours your system gets thawed out and you are back to normal and back to reality. Facing the same issues and problems and being in a worse condition as it pertains to your health.
  5. kmars

kmars Active Contributor

I too had an abusive parent. So I do understand why you were pushed to the point of taking drugs. What I am glad for however is the fact that you have overcome, and you no longer see taking drugs as the way out.
  6. Meds

Meds Active Contributor

That's very strange. I hardly hear that one. Simply because someone is unoccupied and has nothing to do, he turns to drugs... I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I want to know what gave you the idea that taking drugs would lift you out of your boredom. You started taking drugs because of the influence of something or someone.
  7. Meds

Meds Active Contributor

Yeah that's what I've learned in life. It makes no sense we blame people for the choices that we ourselves made. It's so easy to play the victim and so hard to take responsibility.
    dyanmarie25 likes this.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

One of the reasons why a lot of people fail is because instead of facing their responsibilities, they just tend to put all the blame on other people. It will never solve the problem.
  9. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

All my friends were doing it and I was the only odd one out. It was only natural that I tried it. After the first try, I became curious. After some more, I realized it made me feel good. And after some time, I realized that I just couldn't do without it.
  10. Mayoress

Mayoress Active Contributor

It was all about finding new and exciting ways to live life. Taking drugs drew me to the excitement and beauty in life (or so I thought at that time).