An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why did you start

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Rex, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Rex

Rex Community Champion

Hey everyone
    I was just wondering how you got into marijuana. How you started, who influenced you to start and where you got your hands on it initially. I was just interested because i myself started at fifteen and it i got my first joint from my brother.
  2. rightct

rightct Community Champion

My experience is quite average. Had a not-so-great entourage back in my HS days, and they were dealing with all sort of dubious stuff. I refused all of them except marijuana, since I heard so many good things about it I just couldn't miss it. Of course it was pleasant, but.. yeah, don't do it if you plan to again. You'd be better off.
  3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Lol, I had the same entourage of negative influence in my life in the good old HS days. I lived in a small town and it was natural for a bunch of bored teens to smoke a bowl. I just up and quit when I was an adult and had responsibilities I needed to take care of. Now it is legal and people can buy it at the store where I live. When we were kids we had to hit the black market.
  4. juanperez1990

juanperez1990 Active Contributor

I met this guy who played bass in a band. I went to their studio with him one time and joints were being passed around. I thought why not experiment? Now I know better
  5. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

My brother and his friends always smoked it and I always walked the other way. One day, after graduation of my senior year of high school, I was told that "I already graduated with honors, received my letter, it's time to let loose." - and you know what? I agreed. It was. I had always maintained a no-fun purely-work ethnic when it came to school. But I had earned it, ya know? Not to smoke; the right to let loose. And this just happened to be Marijuana since it was in close vicinity to my person.
  6. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Bunch of buddies were smoking at a party by the river, went and joined them and loved it. Really started to kick off when I went to a Liberal arts school, literally everyone smokes and it developed into a daily habit from there.
  7. Shimus

I guess the more you hang around it, it becomes not-so-taboo so it seems okay to do. Many still know and feel it's wrong; but they try it anyways. I was one of those people - but I just had to form my own opinions and not have people telling me why I should hate it and advocate against it. Always against blind hate and fear. Only through knowledge can we overcome addictions and problems. It's sad we have to fall low to get to that point, though.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I got into it at the age of 15 because of peer pressure and that rebellious attitude. I was young and a friend of mine wiped it out and said to try it. That's how most kids get involved with mostly anything. A friend uses peer pressure and as young teenagers, we are naturally rebellious.
  9. Shimus

"Most of us are rebellious" - Not all of us. I never really had that streak through my entire life. Though peer pressure eventually did me in, it wasn't from friends. And it wasn't because I wanted to try something different, either, or be rebellious. I guess I could be an exception to this though.
  10. 6up

6up Community Champion

I first smoked a left over joint that my brother had left. I later joined friends who used to smoke and we could smoke together. I then got used to buying marijuana at the age of 10.
  11. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I've noticed that a lot of people start over boredom. Where I'm from, there is not much to do, and if you aren't playing sports or working, you're doing drugs.
  12. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

There's always a misconception that says you're rebellious if you've ever smoked. that is just not true whatsoever and I hate whenever people say that.
  13. henry

henry Community Champion

In all honesty, I started smoking weed watching all those comedy movies back in the 80s. Most of them had some weed smoking going on. The Breakfast Club: check. Bachelor Party: Check. Revenge of the Nerds: check. The Heavenly Kid: check. All the Cheech and Chong movies, don't have to check those. And so on. People who say TV doesn't influence people got another thing coming.
  14. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

I started mostly for recreational use with friends. I started at the age of 15 and have been a mild smoker since the begininning of this year where I have decided to stop using this substance for recreational use.
  15. Shimus

I asked some friends why they started. Most of them responded the same - their family or friends did it, and by close proximity they picked it up too. I was shocked that is was that easy for most, just like I read here. I only tried it after seeing it like that and wanted an "informed decision" (Not being pressured) into why people would willingly do something so addicting and destructive at the same time.

And then I came to understand the Euphoria rush. And I can see why.