An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why do children smoke.

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by wahmed, Mar 23, 2015.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Children smoke because parents are doing their job. They are either letting them smoke, or not giving a damn. Majority of the problems of the youth are because of irresponsible parents. When parents don't care, children won't care, and that leads to a bunch of problems beyond smoking.
  2. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

When I was a child, practically everyone I knew smoked, even my teachers AND my doctor! It was a normal thing for me to do as I got older. I think if a kid comes from a family who is anti-tobacco, they are more likely to be able to quit, than if they grow up being accustomed to the constant smell of smoke.
  3. rightct

rightct Community Champion

They smoke and drink because peer pressure is stronger than their willpower, and it's totally understandable given their fragile age, but still... if I was at that age with my life experience I would still refuse, but again they don't know what risks they're exposing themselves at, so...
  4. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

I think kids smoke because their curious and want to be rebellious. Also I think it is also peer pressure and kids want to fit in. When kids see other kids smoking they want to be just like them and do what they do because maybe it makes them feel more adult.
  5. 6up

6up Community Champion

Children can smoke as a result of being influenced. If a child can see their elder ones smoking, then he might want to try that too. Parents who smoke while indoors may influence their children to start smoking since they may not see the effects immediately. Sending our children to buy cigarettes has also made them to try out smoking.
  6. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

Because they think smoking makes them cooler and the other boys and girls will like them more if they do so, sadly in some cases this is ttrue. I know, because I first tried smoking when I was a kid and I was thinking the same way. thought my friends will like me even more.
  7. PerkyNorm4u

PerkyNorm4u Member

Indeed, there really are a lot of factors that affects one's decision towards smoking. Curiosity is the most common excuse and their disposition to the society. They may think that they are cool if they smoke during their teenage years. But no one can really tell what the real reason is why people smoke. It may be their own way on how they can handle stress and problems. People smoke for different reasons.
  8. crc3thebest

crc3thebest Community Champion

Today only eight percent of teens smoke in America. Perhaps, the awareness of the dangers will help many to stop smoking.
  9. mercshe

mercshe Member

Because they think it was cool and I knew because I became once. But I also need a validation from others so I asked my friends why they'd smoke at an early age and told me that it was just a already norm, why will they wait to get older for them to get to smoke? Bad examples from adults and by your own family members are strong influence why kids this days do smoking. Others point out it is also a psychological problem- an oral gratification was not met so it becomes their fixation. They feel satisfied when they have something to play or put with the mouth such as food or cigarette, that's what they say.
  10. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Peer pressure. That's the main reason children smoke, because all of their friends do so, and they would feel "backwards" somehow if they don't do so. I, however, started smoking because of my depression. But these are isolated cases. Looking cool is the main reason.
  11. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Because they see adults doing it. Also their friends may smoke, and they feel like ti's the cool thing to do. I can honestly say I started smoking because my best friend was a smoker it's just that simple monkey see monkey do.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Sad thing that adults around them also influence those children to smoke like here, some kids are even ordered by their adults to buy cigarettes on retail stores. You are also right that they might think it was just okay to smoke since they could see their idols or celebrities smoking even on films.
  13. dakotacensus

dakotacensus Member

There's a lot of comments in here about 'peer pressure' or 'being cool', and while there is some truth to those ideas, it misses out on some of the nuance of the issue.

Part of the 'being cool' side of things is that some people who smoke are also more likely to display certain kinds of risk-taking behavior. The reality, maybe a bit sad, is that many of us perceive people who display that kind of behavior as being cool. When the studies looking at this first came out it was joked a bit that smoking doesn't make you cool, but cool people tend to smoke.

That is more of where the peer pressure comes in. In particular during adolescence when people are trying to develop an independent sense of self being accepted or even admired by peers can feel very important. That can sometimes lead to people emulating the risk-taking behaviors that are associated with cool people, including smoking and other drug use.

The solution, easier to say than do, is teaching teens how to value themselves for the qualities they have independent of peer-group acceptance.
  14. NicCris

NicCris Member

If a child in a social circle starts experimenting with tobacco, it's all too easy for him or her to lead peers into smoking as well -- the smoker doesn't want to be alone, and the not-yet-smokers don't want to be seen as afraid to try something risky or boundary-pushing.
  15. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

I cannot speak for all children and all addicts, I can only speak for myself. I was first introduced to nicotine when I was about 10. I was introduced by a friend of my older sisters. She would go to the basement and smoke stubs out of my uncles ashtray. She insisted I try it. This set me up for a lifelong addiction for smoking. I was an off an on smoker until I finished high school. Then I became a full time smoker for 13 years. This is until I developed health issues and was encouraged by doctors to quit.
  16. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

Children tend to be curious and tempted because they are not allowed to do something. It's the effects of reverse psychology working: when you tell a child not to do something, more than often they will do it in private or secretly where no one would know to get him or her into trouble. They get addicted because nicotine, in its nature, is an extremely addictive drug.

Another thing that might have tempted them to smoke is because of peer pressure and the growing problem of social status. Too many kids nowadays aspire to be popular that they will do something that is able to ruin their lives—perhaps indefinitely.
  17. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I grew up surrounded by smokers, so when I reached for my first cigarette when I was 13, it only seemed natural. In fact I remember exactly how good that first cigarette tasted to me. It was like I was always "destined" to smoke. I never coughed or felt nauseated by it. Instead, I enjoyed every puff of it, feeling deeply calmed and satisfied by it.
  18. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Couldn't have said it better myself. Parents should indeed take more responsibility for the health and safety of their children. It's just callous of them to allow their little darlings to engage in activities such as smoking and taking drugs. Most children simply can't think straight, they are lured by their peers and a media that promotes unhealthy lifestyles and debauchery. For this reason alone, parents need to be more vigilant than ever before and keep an eye on their kids.
  19. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Most of the time it's peer pressure with teens. If teenagers hang around people who smoke, it will rub of on them. When I was younger I used to smoke cigarettes, and every body I knew did to. As I got older I realized that there was no point in polluting my lungs for no reason. Sometimes people grow out of it, but if you become addicted to it then
    you have to break the habit. In most cases with kids it's either trying to fit in or seem older.
  20. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

As you mention, there are several reasons for children to smoke, just like teenagers, children are curious about so many things that are happening on the world around them, and if they see that someone close to them smokes, they may wish to try what the loving person is consuming. Another reason could be that many children of certain ages want to get away from the concept of "small kid" and begin to smoke can give them a feeling of having gowned up, because they are imitating adults.