An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why do children smoke.

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by wahmed, Mar 23, 2015.

1. srofltank

srofltank Member

Most children that smoke are often influenced by peers and the environment around them, even sometimes pure curiosity (which is uncommon nowadays because of the notorious reputation smoking has in our society). Nevertheless, children have their own group of friends they tend to hang out with, and sometimes its the wrong group of peers they enjoy interacting with. This can also co-relate to how other children begin drug addictions, mainly because of these types of influences upon children.
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Peer pressure is one of the reasons why most children smoke. If they are the only one not smoking in a group, they are pressured to smoke too. I have been in situations like this when I was younger, but thankfully, I have not even tried one puff.

My husband on the other hand, managed to control his smoking habits while in high school and only smoked in parties or group outings. But he still started because his friends are smoking and he wanted to try it. Now, he is quite addicted to it.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I think child and teens originally start smoking to fit in and be part of the crowd. It is peer pressure. Everybody else is doing in. In reality they are not but to a child/teen it feels that way. As time goes on though the cigarettes get a hold of them and they become addicted. They are then smoking because they are addicted and need to have that smoke. So many people will say that they wish they had never started when they were kids but at the time it was the cool thing to do.
  4. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Usually they smoke just to look cool, or to follow a role model like their parents or an older sibling. One of my friends followed his dads footsteps, and that unfortunately meant he tried smoking only to get addicted accidently...
  5. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

Children will smoke because they see that it is an "adult" thing to do, and they always want to do things that will make them look older than they are. Unfortunately, it can be seen this way by young people, and it can take an awful lot to manage to persuade them otherwise - however it is definitely what you should do if you want to protect your children from becoming smokers at an early age. A lot of people who go on to be addicted to cigarettes admit that they started smoking when they were young, so avoid this and it will help a lot.
  6. henry

henry Community Champion

I agree with most posts. I remember I started smoking mostly because my father smoked. We all know kids look up to their father and think of him as some kind of superhero. The second thing that got me smoking was MTV. I remember all the cool rockers smoked. I never smoked because of my friends, my friends smoked because of me.
  7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Children smoke just because it's "cool" and they feel like they're going to be more special if they do that. I think that every kid on this planet started smoking just because of their group of friends. I'm 100%.
  8. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

I agree with most of the previous posters on this one, in that children smoke because of:
    • Peer pressure. Children and teens believe they will look cool if they smoke.
    • They have been raised in a culture where they've learned that smoking is acceptable. By seeing their parents or other family members smoke, children rationalize it as an okay activity.
  9. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

There has been a huge amount of money invested in the prevention of smoking, and great deal of that money goes to the prevention of smoking by minors. The various campaigns have had a significant impact on the consumption of tobacco by minors. There are less and less children smoking, so to a certain degree it has worked, but with kids you never know. Ever heard of the cinnamon challenge? There just has to be a challenge similar to this involving tobacco and all that hard work will be flushed down the toilet.
  10. Theboysmom04

Theboysmom04 Member

My mother was a smoker for years. I watched her looking so elegant sitting there with her giant Virginia slim in the mornings and thought I want to look like that one day. My mother quit about 6 years ago and I'm still left with my addiction. I started sneaking cigarettes at 12 years old and haven't looked back.
  11. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

You are absolutely right, I started smoking in high school and I was the coolest, prior to that I wasn't being noticed at all so that was a big improvement for me and seem really easy, I had no idea what I was getting into. The bigest problem for me was that I had no information on the topic, my mom used to smoke and she would tell me it was bad, but she never told me it was addictive or anything, or that it could affect my performance in sports. What im trying to get is, kids might learn its a nasty habit even from those authority figures that smoke.
  12. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

It's one of two reasons: 1. Too much exposure to smoking or 2. Peer Pressure. As a child growing up, one might be more likely to pick up smoking if someone constantly does it around them. Children learn what they see. These same children tell their friends elsewhere how cool smoking is and how relaxed and whatnot it makes you. Other children who can't resist peer pressure succumb and start smoking. This is a never ending trend which will be hard to break.
  13. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

There could be many reasons that can turn an innocent children to a heavy smoker. Some will say that they smoke because their family members smoke and for some, it's a cool habit. Several movies also promote cigars in their scenes and believe it or not, it is one of the main reason for the increasing rate of teenage and child smokers. They think that they should smoke because their favourite actors in the TV Shows and movies smoke!
  14. SCSullivan

SCSullivan Member

Both my parents smoked when I was a kid, and I remember how I used to hate it, and swore it was something I would never do. However, as a teenager, one of my first boyfriends smoked, and I idolised him, so started smoking because I wanted to impress him. Of course, the relationship never lasted, but sadly the smoking did. I think the biggest thing a parent can do to prevent a child smoking is to give them the confidence that they are awesome just as they are, and should never try and change who they are for anyone.
  15. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

This is true and my kids who are in High School often talk to me about their experiences as I've brought them up to be more open. The thing is, there would be a kid or two in the class who has an electric cigarette and while the teacher isn't in, they would sit there and smoke it, offering it to anyone nearby. Some of the kids would say yes, others would say no. Now perhaps it's different in USA, but here in South Africa its a little less cliche.

Kids don't get bullied or "crapped on" by the other kids if they don't try something. If a kid says no to being offered a cigarette or drugs, they are looked up at, not made fun of. Also, its easier for kids to stop smoking as they usually don't have constant access to the drugs. I smoked about two cigarettes when I was young and I never did again, whereas today, now that I can easily go to the store and buy more, I would probably get addicted. So I stay away from drugs.
  16. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

I sее 12 13 yеаr оlds smоking nоw i mеаn wth, whаt's gоing оn with sосiеty nоw. Nоw pаrеnts dоn't саrе thаt thеrе is а high сhаnсе thеir сhild will diе bеfоrе thеm is thеir kid kееps smоking. I sее kids аt sсhооl gоing bеhind thе building tо smоkе. А kid whеrе i livеd diеd bесаusе hе smоkеd аnd hеs wаs 14, i thоught thаt wоuld tеll kids tо stоp smоking nоw thеy dо it mоrе thеn еvеr. Whаts sо grеаt аbоut smоking?
  17. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Fortunately smoking doesn't appear as much on TV as it did in the past. I think it had a good deal to blame for me starting to smoke.
  18. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I remember as a kid thinking that smoking looked cool. I think many kids feel the same way about it. A good way to prevent children from smoking is to make it uncool by stigmatizing it early and really highlighting its negative health effects.
  19. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

The education starts at home. That is one of the parents biggest responsibilities is to educate their kids on the dangers of cigarettes. A huge issue are parents that smoke and influence there kids to follow their behaviors.
  20. henry

henry Community Champion

Yup, not much smoking on TV anymore. It seems they've substituted cigarettes for joints. But movies take the cake when we talk about promoting drugs and alcohol. Some good examples are those movies James Franco and Seth Rogers are doing. And don't get me started with the sex propaganda. Seems like the cool thing to do these days is to get high, get drunk and have as much sex as you can, no matter the gender. I know I'm no angel, but this is getting way out of hand.