An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why do men turn to alcohol abuse?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by bourge_21, Oct 26, 2014.

1. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

I am not really a person who abuse alcohol drinking but I could say I have the tendency to get addicted to alcohol. It's more of peer pressure. My college buddies have this habit of communion with cases of alcoholic beverages.
  2. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

Both men and women struggle with alcohol abuse. Don't feel pressured to drink while hanging out with your friends. If you do drink, you don't have to drink as much as they do. Keep an eye on your intake and drink water. It is possible to have fun with friends without drinking with them.
  3. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think men get stressed from work or life, and think the bottle will take their problems away from them. It is only a illusion, and will still be there and you will be worse for the wear and have to face the problems you have already. When drinking, do it moderately and have snacks to eat and watch how much you drink and your friends as well which can be a good choice. Most men drink a lot to please other guys, and it gives them energy and want to feel power over others.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think it's just men but if it was then I'd venture a guess that it's probably because men from previous generations aren't exactly encouraged to express themselves so they usually bottle it up and need some kind of release for it. Also alcohol makes them a lot more loose and able to be more expressive so it probably also contributes to their desire to use it.
  5. Stress and the pressures of life. Sometimes men don't talk about their problems and these weigh on their minds for a long time. Failure to resolve these problems leads to frustration and the desire to 'drown' out thinking about them. So a man turns to alcohol to help him forget, just for a while. Unfortunately, these problems overwhelm a man and he succumbs to alcohol addiction.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Don't forget the media and its influence.

Kids grow up watching movies and TV shows in which at some point the stars must head of to some bar or strip club and tanked up while they plan how they'll defeat the villain. Since kids are impressionable, the more they see of that, they get to believe that drinking is great no matter what anyone else tells them. And once they are all grown up . . .
  7. bourge_21

Most men are very egoistic, yes. They prefer leaving their own stories behind than opening up. This is most likely why they turn for something to lean on, and call a 'friend'. Most men don't find true friends in people. They do in vices though.
    wellpostlooper likes this.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

This is only my question seeing too many men around the neighborhood drinking a lot and most of them are considered alcoholics already.
    Even I go out with some friends, they will not force me to drink alcoholic beverages since they know that I do not drink those beverages. Most of my friends also just drink occasionally and very moderate.
  9. bourge_21

That's good for you. However, don't you feel like you are being off-places? When you engage in an activity they do, you'll feel more connected. Most men love drinking; they feel very masculine doing so.
  10. zaerine

I do not feel off place since I am usually not the only one not drinking in our group. Also our guy friends will just not drink in most of our gatherings since they knew that some are not drinkers. We enjoy just eating and sometimes having videoke in our gatherings.
  11. Onionman

Onionman Active Contributor

It's definitely not just a male thing. But I do think it manifests itself slightly differently with men. Either sex can be loud, over the top and extroverted with drink inside them. I just feel that you're more likely to have secret drinkers that are female.

That is, guys will happily go to a bar and have a drink by themselves, whether they think they drink too much or not. Females are more likely (in my view) to do their drinking at home. It's not to say guys don't drink alone at home, but it's a more natural/socially acceptable outlet for a single female.
  12. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

You are making a lot of generalizations about men. I don't think gender has anything to do with a person's ability to be open, make friends, or depend on alcohol. This may be true of men in your own life but not true for everyone.
  13. zaerine

It was right that it was not just a guy thing. There are also lots of women who drink and some are also alcoholics. Right too that women can get too loud when drunk and can be violent too. So, this issue is not just a guy thing, there is no gender exception with this alcoholic problem.
  14. I agree with you on this. And another thing that happens is that the people who had already been influenced by the media then influence the new generation. I have heard people talking about, "This is how men handle their problems". Young people will always want to be respected as men. Those who can't separate good advice from the bad will end up following the 'drink your problems away philosophy'.
  15. That's right. And new 'friends' seem to attract a lot of vices. At this point, the man is already on a dangerous path that will affect not only his well-being, but will also put a strain on his relationships and in his work life. His only option is to realize that alcohol inhibits self-control. Without the ability to control yourself, you are open to many dangers.
  16. I have seen a lot of women struggling with an alcoholic problem. This might be a generalization but most of the women I have seen are either single, divorced or are single mothers. I think for the women, drinking is about power and expressing their independence. Some of them overdo it and their bodies get hooked. As for the men, there are those whose bodies get hooked. There are also those who over-indulge in alcohol due to unresolved underlying problems in their lives.
  17. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Both sexes can turn to alcohol abuse. Now why do they do that? Let's take a look at my life experiences. Speaking for myself, drinking with my buddies was more of a social acceptance and a ego booster. My friends were doing it, so why don't I? I just want to look cool and be accepted. If I wasn't so insecure with myself, there would be a good chance that I wouldn't of started drinking.
  18. zaerine

Maybe depends on places or countries. In here, most women drinkers are with their family or not separated. They now tend to do drinking as their part of "girls" bonding. But as you said, cannot generalized people and things. :)
  19. bourge_21

In Middle East countries, especially in Saudi Arabia, drinking alcohol is prohibited. However, I know that the men there are very hyped on experiencing alcohol once they get out of the country. It's generally a male thing, although some women get into it. But more likely than not, men are more prone to this drinking idea.
  20. bourge_21

I agree with you there. There is this social insecurity we feel when we are in a group and seeing them hooked into something such as alcohol drinking is an attraction for us to feel that we belong in it after all. There is this issue of psychological correspondence to sociability.