An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why do men turn to alcohol abuse?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by bourge_21, Oct 26, 2014.

1. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

In my country, seeing women drinking alcoholic beverages is not out of the line but is something very indiscreet. Well, my people's culture has already been Westernized but still IMO it is not pleasant for a woman to drink. It makes her feel very disoriented in her life.
  2. bourge_21

With media now flourishing in society, there is no way children won't be introduced to alcohols, or drugs, or vices. The impression media leaves in their minds is radical. Considering children nowadays have gone pretty aggressive and advanced in thinking and actions than 3 decades ago, yeah, many will be future alcoholics.
  3. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

I think that the reason I turned to alcohol was because I wanted to look cool. I grew up around older kids in my neighborhood and I thought they were cool because they would always drink and party. I wanted to drink and party just like them when I got a little older. In my senior year of high school, I begin to drink because kids my age were doing it. Once I became an adult, I would still party and get drunk but my life went in a direction it should not have. I became overly aggressive, angry, and destructive. I never thought I would behave like that but I let alcohol ruin my life. I went from wanting to be normal to an angry drunk over the years. Even though I still drink, I have a different mentality. I no longer do it to be accepted or to get over anger. I would rather drink by myself, play music, and relax.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am also aware that drinking alcohol is prohibited in Saudi Arabia. But I think that people there can find ways to drink alcoholic beverages on their private places.
    Right that on surveys or data, more men drink than women.
  5. bourge_21

In some places, such as Jeddah and Dammam where the culture is gradually gaining freedom from restrictions due to the influence of their neighboring countries such as Yemen and Bahrain, I believe what you say is now a fact. I have colleagues there who would drink and smoke in their flats. Perhaps Riyadh is one of the few that are still accustomed to strict Sharia laws.
  6. bourge_21

That's a pretty interesting story. However, I believe you were a victim of social stratification, layering yourself with those who enjoy their younger years into social steaming. I grew up too in an environment where there were a lot of drunkards and socially active youth but I refrained but getting involved into group drinking or too much peer discussions. I regretted not being in social groups that much, but it made me idealistic about life, and it saved my growing mentality.
  7. XiaoDre

Yeah I think you are right. I was pretty friendly and wanted to be friends with everyone. It looked as though they were having a lot of fun drinking and partying and I wanted to have fun too. I never thought in a million years that my life would spiral out of control the way it did. I learned my lesson which is to not be so quick to want to join the crowd. That is why today I am somewhat antisocial because crowds have led me down the wrong path. I am thankful for that experience because it has made me a better person today.
  8. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

I have been addicted to alcohol drinking and I could say that it is the inner mind of yourself forces you to drink. Peer pressure is part of it. When I drink, I feel I am relaxed without worries.
  9. bourge_21

I have been antisocial since my younger years so at some times, I want to experience what you were talking about. However, growing older is another story, and the older you get the lesser you become friendly. It's harder to make friends too, but I have kept a circle of friends who were really the best. I am glad you learned from your past. Kudos to that.
  10. bourge_21

What exactly do your worries tell you? Perhaps it is escape that leads you to the vice, but I think I am rather assuming. In my opinion, the inner mind won't encourage us to engage in activities that could falter the spirit.
  11. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

With alcohols I can escape myself from worries in reality like sadness, loneliness and disappointment. Probably I am too bored also. I just need some agent to help me relax a bit.
  12. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

It's not abuse! I ask,"Is there a proper way to drink alcoholic beverages?" Apparently, there is no proper way to drink any alcoholic beverages, it's personal perspectives and opinions in the end. If there is no standard of use, then there is no way to abuse - it's that simple in logic.

Self-moderation is the balancer of all actions and inactions; no other man or woman, in most situations, is not being forced to drink any alcoholic beverages; so ultimately, he or she chose to do such an action in the end.
  13. bourge_21

That's what I am saying. People need a mitigation of their loneliness, or boredom, or failures in life. I had a friend who got addicted to smoking from 26 years old till now that she's 50. She said cigarette is her husband. She never considered marriage, maybe due to a trauma she had.
  14. bourge_21

I think you call it abuse when it has effects on your body that causes a stir in the normal activities that you do. For example, you cannot get up at 7 AM which you regularly do, due to alcohol. That's just my opinion though.
  15. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Well gender is a factor somehow. I don't know why, but men use to drink more than women. They have that "group mentality", drink together and smoke and stuff like this. But also lots of women drink. My mother was an alcoholic, and also many other women. In my opinion, men drink because they are happy, and women drink because they have problems or they are stressed. And as men are almost always in a good mood...
  16. bourge_21

This is obviously stratification, though I have no right to question your point of view. In my opinion though, men drink because they love to, generally. Women drink on occasion, or as you say, stressed or problematic. Yet that does not put women in distress lol.
  17. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Well, most of the women I know also love to drink. It's just that women are more responsible, while men are usually relaxed and don't worry about what could happen next. And let's be serious, who doesn't enjoy a cold beer from time to time?
  18. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I think alcohol is so easy to obtain that that is a big reason why it is so commonly abused. People use it to forget their problems and feel better temporarily, and while it does seem to help, it leads to more problems down the road and does not resolve any of them. It can be a coping mechanism for dealing with all kinds of issues like stress, depression, difficult circumstances ect. Both men and women abuse alcohol.
  19. XiaoDre

Thank you for responding to me bourge_21. I was never really antisocial in the past. It is just something that I chose to do about 5 years ago. I chose to become antisocial because I got tired of being in bad situations and dealing with fake people. I do not trust many people and that has caused me to become an introvert. I do have a very small circle of friends but I find myself not interacting with them as much as I used to. I do not like being antisocial but this is who I have become. I never thought in a million years that I would not like making new friends or not want to be bothered with family and friends in my life at the present time. I just would rather keep to myself because I have a lot of things going on in my head and I do not need fake people in my life with extra drama. I am just basically cordial with everyone when I have to be but for the most part I stay to myself.
  20. bourge_21

I see. On my part, I have been antisocial because I was brought that way, or rather, influenced that way. Sometimes we change because we need to, until we figure out what really is the best direction for us. In time, bro, you would find those reasons.