An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why do men turn to alcohol abuse?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by bourge_21, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I would say that most cases of being addicted to alcohol comesd from peer pressure, most of the time, you find that friends are competing to take alcohol to see who can consume the most and still not be drunk, I believe that such habbits lead to alcohol addiction.
  2. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

Yeah, I see that in most cases. And psychologically-wise, yes, they somehow turn to much alcohol consumption to test their edge over the others.
  3. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

Alcohol is legal and easily available; it provides a quick high that gives that good feeling. It is also cheaper than other hard drugs. Most people are able to forget their problems temporarily as long as they are inebriated. In most places alcohol is accepted as the drink of choice when people want to unwind or discuss business. Peer pressure is very hard for a number of young adults; they would prefer to have that drink instead of engaging in an argument.
  4. bourge_21

In some countries where alcohol is not legal, such as in Saudi Arabia, there are other forms of addiction. One is robbery. Another is office tyranny. Another, picnic in a park with mostly males lol.
  5. terrainna

terrainna Member

Even though both genders turn to alcohol you specifically asked about men. In my opinion, I think men generally are internal thinkers and rarely communicate what is truly going on within them. Instead of dealing with the root problem I feel they find way of covering it up. Concealing it from themselves. My dad was an alcoholic and he had so many "daddy issues" that twisted him up in the inside. He wont comfort his father about anything and he is well into his 50's. This leaves him broken. In his earlier years he turned to alcohol. Now he just smoke marijuana. Pray for him.
  6. bourge_21

Now that's a sad issue. I feel sorry for your dad but believe me he will find his way. We just need some moments of realization, even if than means taking risks towards darker paths. Time is all there is to pacify our spirits.
  7. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

It can be various reasons. These can vary from depression to peer pressure. It is important to find the source of alcoholism, in order to fix the problem.