An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why do people abuse pain killers?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by predagin, Jun 16, 2015.

1. predagin

predagin Member

It really sucks for people like me who are in really bad pain, but since people abuse them they can only give you so much per month or something. I've had one back surgery which made it worse. In a month or two I am going to have another. It really sucks that people abuse them to make it hard for legit people to get them who really need them.

I am not slamming anyone who was on them for pain, and then got addicted, then got off them with help from there Dr. it's people who "do it for fun" I don't get what is fun.
  2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Painkillers are not always abused as a recreational drug of choice, but by people who are in a legit painful condition, but overtime develops tolerance to the active ingredient, or the formulation contains an addictive substance, hence generating the addiction cycle.

Of course, there are people that conscientiously abuse of painkillers, particularly those which are derived from opioids, but many other times, they only realize about their addiction as their need for pain relievers progress.

This is why many painkillers are only available as prescription medication, and also why over-the-counter painkillers may not work at all for someone who was prescribed or in need of prescribe medications with stronger sedative effects.
  3. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

For most people, becoming abusers wasn't something done by choice. When people have pains that are just too great to handle, they go to pop the pills.

If the effects of the medicine don't last as long as they'd like, the person will just take more pain pills. It's an addiction grown out of necessity.
  4. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

I agree with you 100% these people are so hooked they have little regard for anyone but themselves, its very unfair to the people that need them.
  5. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

its VERY easy to get addicted to them if you are in extreme pain...After i gave birth i had 4th degree tears, my doctor put me on vicodin, and as easy as 3 days, i was addicted...Its better to feel good, then feel horrible, but at the same time its not good to abuse pain medication!
  6. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

You are an individual and the statements made arent entirely true. Let me explain..
    Individuals that abuse the meds will have a hard time getting the meds prescribed.
    Unfortunately, those that abuse are not always the ones getting the prescriptions though...
    Those that comply with the written meds are never denied.
    IF the meds that you were prescribed are not working you need to talk to the Dr and get more and they will do it!
    I have had 22 yrs of Pain management. I have Never ever abused my meds and therefore all the people around me that have done stupid acts have problems. If you Play the game RIGHT, YOU WIN! Unfortunately, sometimes if you associate with those that do abuse. Then you may be accused.
    So my friend, dont worry about the people that abuse their meds. Just make sure that you take like you are supposed to and you will NEVER have a problem! You wont be penalized for their actions- only your own! Remember that.
    I am serious. I go to the Dr every month. On occasion, I cannot make it for my appt, but I am always allowed to get my medication prescription. They just tell me the scripts will be ready at the desk. I just had to do this. I was to have a surgery yesterday and would have had gotten my scripts- but I had to call because overnight I ended up with a high fever- and they told me they would not go through with the procedure. (dammit I was looking forward to it!)
    I am always asked now if I want a 1 month or a 2 month appt. They can now prescribe 2 months of narcotics. Of course on seperate prescriptions. The months I do not want to see the Dr, they give me 2 months of meds.
    I deserve this treatment, I follow the rules- I win!

Sometimes, and I admit- it is tempting to take more medication then prescribed. and I have. But you know what- Dr's know if you have had a terrible flair and that you do not always take 6 pills a day, that an occasional extra pill may be needed. That is not where the problem is. A pain flair can be expected.. and so doing this is not a problem as long as you are honest with the Dr.

They may then increase - IF it isnt reasonable- they will suggest something else-
    See what I am saying?

It is all of the people that think it is OK to get narcotics prescribed and Sell them . But we probably will never know who they are. The people that complain about failing a drug test - well there ya go!
    That is where the problem is. If you know these people - Tell them not to do it and maybe this will stop!

I wish you the best with your back pain and ensuing surgery
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'd think that a lot if people that do abuse the system, will have more than likely started off by using the pain killers legitimately. Pain medication can become addictive very easily and it's sometimes not by choice that people start to take more than whet they have been prescribed.
  8. gracer

gracer Community Champion

We humans have different perspectives of pain. Some have high tolerance and some have low tolerance to pain. Whatever our pain is, we are always comforted with the thought that there is a way to relieve what we are feeling. Sadly, some become addicted to pain relievers because of the comfort they think it brings. In my case, I don't want to get dependent on pain relievers that's why as long as I can tolerate whatever pain I'm feeling I really avoid taking in medications. It also allows me to have a higher pain tolerance because once one gets dependent on pain killers, the tolerance to pain also weakens.
  9. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

Sometimes people get addicted to them, and they don't work as well, so they have to take more just for them to work, and it's the snowball effect.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

But what if these people you decribe started out actually needing them for pain? The prescription drug abuse situation, in my opinion, is caused by Big Pharma and doctors.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It isn't like they have a choice. Sometimes, their logic/awareness gets beaten by their psychological craving for painkillers. That is why we need to help these addicts and make them realize the dangers of those drugs before they ruin their lives.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think that most of those who go addicted to painkillers are those who needs it or suffer from severe pain. There are times that my migraine is really worst and occurring on consecutive days, I try my best just to take painkillers which is on its necessary amount so that I will not got too dependent on it and be addicted on it. I try dealing with pain naturally like sleeping, just resting and trying to avoid stress.