An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why do People Act Like Tobacco Companies Are Evil?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by fusionfirefblae, May 26, 2015.

1. I can't, for the life of me, understand how so many people view tobacco companies as evil. They aren't FORCING anybody to smoke and everybody who uses their product knows full well how dangerous it is. Yet I constantly hear health fascists calling them "Big Tobacco" and whining about how they are killing people. It is like blaming McDonald's for making you fat, despite the fact that you chose to eat there.

Is personal responsibility dead in America?
  2. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

How about the "personal" responsibility of tobacco companies who, with very clever advertising techniques of a highly addictive substance, lure smokers into continuously buying their products, and therefore not just putting the smokers at risk of damaging their health but practically everyone else as well?
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Cigarette advertising has been banned in the UK for many years now and it has had little effect in the incidence of smoking in the country. It seems that once you're hooked, that's it, you don't need any convincing from advertisments to smoke.

All smokers know how dangerous their habit is but at the end of the day, it is a matter of personal choice and I think that your McDonald's analogy, @fusionfirefblae, describes the situation perfectly.
  4. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

In the sense that tobacco companies subsist off trapping and enslaving other humans to slowly and unwillingly kill themselves sounds evil to me... I don't know about you. Tobacco companies are drug manufacturers and dealers--extremely lucky drug dealers who have found out that their product can't get them thrown in jail. They are an example of what common illegal drug dealer scum would evolve into if drugs were no longer treated as contraband.

If tobacco companies do not advertise, it is only beause they are not allowed to do so, and if those laws were taken off, it is impossible to deny that every successful tobacco company would jump at the opportunity to advertise cigarettes and chewing tobacco in between episodes of Dora the Explorer. Tobacco commercials were certainly, during the time it was legal, present on TV. If they could, they would offer money to Sesame street for either Bert or Ernie to always be carrying a big felt cigar. It's easy to find a quote that directly implies tobacco companies wish they could somehow get at children. Tobacco companies are evil because of their apathy to peoples' physical and mental well-being, detriment and death.
  5. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

At one time, yes, they had very evil intentions by not sharing the dangers of smoking, and then trying ((vainly)) to conceal it once the matter was brought up.Now? Hardly the case. They have warnings everywhere.

They SPONSOR programs showing the dangers. They do NOT advertise anymore. It is clearly the people deciding to smoke, no one is being misinformed anymore.Personal responsibility dead in America? It's been dead for a LONG time. Now it's just easier to point the finger at somebody else.
  6. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

It's because they knew how dangerous tobacco was before everyone was informed. They had information telling them it caused all sorts of health problems, but just hid it from the public for as long as they could so they could make money.
  7. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

I agree with the personal responsibility part - people are doing it to themselves.But the company that makes money by intentionally getting people hooked on something that will kill them are not morally exempt. They are responsible as well, and they don't suffer the consequences.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

If I stood outside of a high school with drugs to sell, would you be pissed at me? I think you would. They are supplying people with the means to kill them selves and are profiting from it. That in itself is bad.
  9. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Totally agree... they should print even more graphic warnings on their packages. Actually I wish they did this more in Europe. The packs I have seen only have the ''Smoking can cause cancer leyend'', but in other countries the do print graphic images on the packs.

We need that... we need to see the consequences smoking has without own eyes, sometimes that is what it takes for a smoker to quit! But instead you need to look online for those images... which doesn't have the same impact when you show them to your loved one (who is struggling to quit) as if he saw it everytime he grabs his pack of cigarettes.