An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why do people drink mouth wash as a substitute for alchohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by daggerdeandoom, May 23, 2015.

1. Lately i've been seeing ppl drink mouth wash as a sub for liquor...does anyone know why?
  2. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

Alcoholics will go to any length to feed the need. My sister in law is a nurse and she worked once at a Nursing Home where they called a guy the "Aqua Velvet Man". (for those who don't know Aqua Velvet is a after shave lotion). They were constantly catching this guy drinking it. Unfortunately the sickness/urge is so powerful that they will go to any lengths to achieve a high. Sad but true.
  3. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

They were talking about this on television a while back ago and its because the mouthwash contains alcohol in but people shouldn't drink the mouthwash because that is seriously bad for the persons health it basically has some of the same effects as just drinking regular alcohol
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've never heard of this before and I don't think it's a very healthy substitute but if it is happening i can see a bit of sense in it since mouthwash does pack a bit of punch and it probably relieves some sort of urge at least up to a certain extent. I think it might be helpful in the earlier stages but eventually a strong foundation would be much more effective and beneficial.
  5. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Why? Because mouthwash has alcohol as an ingredient.
    Listerine, for example, is 27% alcohol!
  6. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

There is alcohol in the mouth was but it is not the same kind as in the kind in like beer or hard liquier. It will get you drunk but drinking just 1 bottle of it can kill people. My husband HAD a brother that was a alcoholic and it got to where he couldn't afford to buy beer or even wine and so he got mouth wash and started drinking that. It is cheaper and you can buy it at even WAL-MART after 9pm. (any time of the day). It only took him 3 weeks of drinking that and he was in the hospital for 3 days and then died. He was only 49 years old. If you know any one that is doing this then you need to try and get them to STOP ASAP!!!! He went blind just before he died too. He was throwing up blood and passing blood in his stools and also peeing blood. It kills the LIVER first and then just works its way through the rest of the body killing off the other organs. They will even have memory loss.
  7. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

It is no sub for normal booze, it will kill you, destroy your body to the point of a painfull death, will give you a high but diff to the usual alcohol one... but has Bad side affects... dont go there, completely different substance that the human body wasnt meant to break down... toxic chemicals
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

As someone already mentioned, mouthwash has alcohol in it. I've read in other publications that some people srink aerosol hairspray to get their high. It's bad, real bad.
  9. Jericho Mercado

Jericho Mercado Active Contributor

In Alaska things like cough syrup and mouthwash are locked away like spray paint cans. Addicted to alcohol, people will turn to any alternative they can get their hands on to satisfy their craving and need to have the drug.
  10. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Addiction will make people do awful things. The Devil get's in their head and they will go to destructive lengths to satisfy whatever urges they have. Many a poison is consumed because a person cannot get access to their drug of choice. Mouthwash is one of the more common ones i have heard of. They now make more mouthwashes without alcohol. We just have to pray for these poor souls and try to help the out of their dark times as much as possible.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is my first tome to read something about someone who drink a mouth wash in replace of the alcohol. Sounds like it is not safe and could damage the internal organ since mouth wash is not to be taken internally. That could be another type of addiction or condition.
  12. mwin43587

mwin43587 Active Contributor

Are there really people who drink mouthwash? This is the first time I heard it.
  13. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Oh, what alcoholics do not do to feed their intrinsic needs, haha... I've seen people drinking even sanitary alcohol then end up in the hospital because it literally burned their stomach. It's not unusual toward deeply-implicated alcoholics to consume absolutely everything alcohol-related. It may be unusual for us, but it's not for them, trust me.
  14. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

That is nothing. Don't be so naive! People will go to depths of hell to get their highs. Do not underestimate the addicts.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I've also heard and read about this and it just goes to show how far people will go to get that buzz.

For somebody to drink mouth wash though, I do think there must be something wrong with them aswell as being a alcoholic.

Alcoholic's like the actual feeling of getting drunk, not just the effect of the alcohol at the end of it. Drinking mouthwash you won't get that enjoyment, you just get the high.
  16. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I too have heard this -- not only with mouthwash, but with addicts resorting to things such as alcoholic cooking extracts (rum extract, vanilla extract and so on) and even methylated spirits in order to get drunk. I think if you're an addict in the dark depths of it, and you can't get your hands on 'normal' alcohol for whatever reason - cost, availability, not wanting to seem like you're drinking booze - then it's definitely not outside the realm of possibility for someone to resort to other alcoholic substances that can be found around the house.
  17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

This is th first time I've heard of this but I guess it is plausible. Addicts crave alcohol and when they can't get what they want they try to substitute it with other substances.
    Interesting question though, you learn new things everyday! :D
  18. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

Well, it's about 15% alcohol. It's pretty rough going down, but it's cheaper than dirt for a liter and a half of it. You can buy as much as you like at two in the morning. That's about the extent of the 'upsides.'

I would really rather not go over the time in my life where I explored this as an option, but I will say that I really didn't enjoy it even while I did it and it certainly helped me quit. It will make you sick, even if you drink it often, and there's just no getting used to it. It's not poisonous, but it's hard on your stomach and you'll probably develop acid reflux because you'll be calling Ralph about a Buick more often than you would drinking normal booze.

It's really about the only thing you can get in a store, that will work and not kill you. I think the most extreme drinkers and the kids too young to buy normal alcohol are the worst offenders, but I guarantee you they're not going to do it often.
  19. henry

henry Community Champion

As everyone else already pointed out, they drink it because it has alcohol in it. This is nothing new. I've also heard of people stripping down those nose inhalers trying to get some meth out of them.
  20. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

I've heard that as well, but as I understand it it's a fruitless endeavor. I don't care either way, myself, it's just amazing to know the depths people go to trying to score some kind of drug.

I'm hoping I'm not making a mistake by saying this, but I remembered something from when I was a bit younger, during the darker time period of my life. People use Benadryl/diphenhydramine as a booster for their drugs, and it's especially popular with the mouthwash drinkers. It gives you a heavy body load and a drunk-wobble-legged feeling by itself, but coupled with just about any drug makes the effect feel more potent. If you want a direct indication of how bad a problem drinker is, see how close the Benadryl is to the mouthwash. I wish I could let people experience my memories to show them how absolutely mindbogglingly awful the aftereffects are. Do not do this.