An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why do people drink mouth wash as a substitute for alchohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by daggerdeandoom, May 23, 2015.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Active Contributor

Oh dear, I've never heard of someone drinking mouthwash as an alcoholic substitute. I guess I can understand how though, because the taste is pretty good. And, like many have said already, it does contain alcohol, but I'm pretty sure that it says "do not swallow" so it can't be safe like actual alcoholic beverages. This is a concern.
  2. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

It's perfectly safe to drink, but it doesn't taste good. Most people have a hard time just rinsing their mouth out with Listerine, so imagine having to drink a bottle of that. And some people drink Tichenor's, which is like drinking Windex-flavored whiskey. The 'do not swallow' label is just legal weaseling to get around the fact that they're okay with a large portion of their consumer base misusing their product.
  3. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I thought that mouthwash contained methanol, as opposed to ethanol (the type of alcohol found in beer, rum, etc.), I can't see why anyone would drink that. Besides, wouldn't a cheap bottle of rum be around the same price per alcohol content? It must be the under aged people doing this.
  4. Tryner

Tryner Member

They're either addicted and poor, or teenagers attempting to get drunk. I had a friend who would bring Citrus mouthwash to school and drink it, pretending it was soda. It didn't fool anyone and she was suspended, but she kept drinking it. Actually preferred it to booze.
  5. 6up

6up Community Champion

I have never heard about that but I think that is very dangerous. The chemical composition in mouth wash is just meant for mouth washing and not consumption. That might be having a prolonged effect without one knowing.
  6. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

Gross, that's gross. Alcoholics will take alcohol anywhere they can get it, my cousin once drank a bottle of aftershave! But mouthwash would make me feel hideous, I feel ill after I swallow a tiny bit let alone a whole bottle! I use alcohol free ones anyway now, not for recovery reasons, the alcohol ones just sting my tongue!