An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why do people hesitate to join support groups?

Discussion in '12-Step Support Groups' started by shilpa123, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

I think it's usually because they are afraid or ashamed. The hardest part of overcoming an addiction is accepting and acknowledging that you have one. Most people are still in denial and being in a support group counteracts with their thinking.
  2. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Some people don't see them as being a successful approach and others are concerned with there being some sort of negative stigma attached to it. It isn't always easy to reach out to strangers for support, let alone for something of a personal nature.
  3. Donnchadh

Donnchadh Active Contributor

And nothing will
    Nothing or no one can get anyone to join a group easily unfortunately.if I could I'd have half the country in a group but it doesn't work like that
    My own personal opinion is that she probably won't join any group until she's really ready. In my own case I had a serious problem with trusting people this could be a factor in her problem maybe not. But I'd suggest you keep chipping away gently at her don't go at her like a raging bull or you'll only cause upset not only for her but for yourself as well.I find the easy gentle approach works best it might take a bit longer but there's less upsets along the way. Having said that ultimately it's going to have to be her decision.I wish you all the best and pray that she'll get there xx