An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why do people respond differently to drugs?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by CpXi7z1, Dec 4, 2014.

1. CpXi7z1

CpXi7z1 Member

Why do some people develop an addiction the first time they use drugs, some people die after their first experience with drugs, and some people can use drugs just once or occasionally?
  2. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Every human body and mind are unique. Some people's bodies are more resistant to some substances than others, some people's minds are as well. You never know before you try something which you are going to be, so it is extremely important to never try drugs in the first place.

The strength and purity of the substance a given person uses may also play a role, especially in drug related deaths. I've heard of people dying as a result of a "bad batch" so that could play a role there. It could also be that the first dose a person used was way too much and put their body into shock.
  3. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

That is a really good question. What exactly are the predisposing factors? I would say that a great deal has to do with one's family history and whether there is a certain pattern of substance abuse. I assume another strong factor would be one's psychological make-up. Some folks simply can't control their urges or inclinations very well, hence they get addicted to things quite easily, be it drugs, foods, or other over-indulgences.
    It's an interesting field that needs in-depth examination.
    CpXi7z1 likes this.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I'm not a doctor but I'm guessing it's just that we all have different tastes and slightly different body compositions. I liken it to the same way that some of us are allergic to peanuts, some to shellfish, etc. and it's why I'm a supporter of making these substances legal and regulated so people would at least have more access to guidance and also the ingredients would be made safer instead of just constantly shoving the issue under the rug and having everyone do guesswork in self medication.
  5. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

I agree. It's the biological reaction of the body. In my case, for example, my skin is very sensitive. If you touch me when you have just eaten chips or you did not wash your hands, my skin easily gets irritated. In no time, I have big rashes.
  6. CpXi7z1

CpXi7z1 Member

Good answers. It makes sense that physiology and psychology play a role. When a person wants to quit an addiction, stopping both the behavior and thought processes can be a terrible battle. If an activity, such as playing video games, consumes a person, does that indicate that if that person experimented with drugs, he or she is likely to develop an addiction to drugs?
  7. Onionman

Onionman Active Contributor

For good or bad, we're all built and shaped differently. Biologically, genetically, psychologically, physiologically, and I would almost say spiritually. There's no one template to say that everyone should react in any particular way to any particular compound, albeit some of us are more predisposed to get certain reactions. It's often down to trial and error.
  8. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

Every person is different, mentally, physiologically, and genetically. Drugs will affect each person differently, hence why everyone will react differently to drugs. Some may react to only a little bit of it, and some will take a lot until they start to feel its effects. It also affects whether they have a propensity to become addicted. We are a diverse bunch.
    CpXi7z1 likes this.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I guess it's on a case to case basis. Someone might be a first-time substance abuser but he died because the dosage he took was already enough to kill an elephant. Those who survive may have taken drugs on a piecemeal basis, gradually increasing the dosage as they sink further down the rabbit hole. Health issues are also worth considering. For instance, if you have an existing heart condition and you take the usual drug dosage, the effects may be fatal as opposed to a healthy person administering the same dosage.
  10. bourge_21

We respond to stimulus. We are unique. We have different survival or adaptation instincts.
  11. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

It's because our bodies react differently to everything. Just like with colds, allergies and such. That's why some people are more resistant than others.
  12. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

No. The two are entirely different. With video games, it's all in the mind. But with drugs the overconsumption of a substance will make the body to be dependent on it. Psychology might play a role but how the body responds to the various chemicals also would also be a determining factor when it comes to being addicted to a drug.

Those who use a drug once won't get addicted but should they take it for long then quite obviously even those who think they are immune would find themselves in the morass of addiction.
  13. Aaron

Aaron Member

There is a few variables that are involved here. As I'm sure it was already stated. But yes, peoples' chemistry are different from one another. With that taken into effect, then you have other factors to consider. One thing that I would look at is what was the person's overall health the first time they partook. Another question I would ask is, what was the age of the person.
  14. Charles P.

Charles P. Community Advocate

CpXi7z1,
    There are a couple to beliefs about addiction. Some feel it is a choice, while others believe that it is a disease. I believe that it is a disease, and with that said, that is why some people can take drugs, and some can't. Its just the same with other diseases, some get them, and some don't. Diabetes, cancer, etc...

What do you think it is?

Charles P.
  15. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't believe it would necessarily be the case even though it's plausible. In this case I think it's more likely that the video games are his drug of choice, and it's why some people don't understand how people can get addicted to games because they themselves have a hard time imagining other people having different physical and psychological make ups.
  16. bourge_21

I believe that the only way to solve addiction is balancing our lifestyles and putting our practices into discipline. We also need reminders from our parents. We respond towards addiction when we can no longer maintain the threshold we set as limits.
  17. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

It is certainly attributed to the fact that every single person's mind state and body chemistry are completely different. Certain substances are more likely to negatively effect them than others, especially if they are in a negative mindset.
  18. mikeqin

mikeqin Member

From a drug perspective, the “usual patient” is typically between 12 to 65 years old, in reasonable health, and of average weight. Individuals outside this range-infants and preteenage children at one end and seniors at the other-are thought to be more
  19. bourge_21

More what? I think it is rational enough that the age frame are the most susceptible group for addiction. However, it is really intriguing how people outside this range could still be addicted.
  20. mikeqin

mikeqin Member

People are prescribed drugs all the time, but prescriptions can be dangerous because people can have different responses to drugs