An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why do people take drugs?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by amin021023, May 2, 2015.

1. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Drugs regardless of kind and way of consumption appear as a solution to all of your problems but become the worst problem soon after. I mean when you first use a drug, it gives much pleasure, which makes you work harder, be better at your relationships and help everything but after a while it becomes a serious problem.
    Another reason why people take drugs is to rebel and seem grown up, especially for young people.
    I'm speaking out of experience. So what is your experience? What do you think?
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I don't have any experience as far as substance abuse is concerned. I do take prescription medicines for a congenital heart ailment. I didn't get addicted because my parents have always been big on health and self-preservation and I must have listened well to them. A doctor also warned me that if I abuse my medicines, I would destroy my organs particularly the kidneys and liver (those medicines are highly diuretic). At an early age, I've been taking herbal supplements and multivitamins. Although work sometimes causes me to neglect my health, I get by with the help of alternative medicine. Drugs never appealed to me because my father's a policeman and as a child, I saw with my own eyes how pitiful or dangerous people could be upon getting high.
    EditorsRHumansToo! likes this.
  3. tckc

tckc Member

I would say that I took drugs to avoid feeling any negative feelings or discomfort. I'm not sure why other people take drugs, but maybe for similar reasons. Back when I was using, I probably said that I was trying to feel good. But now in hindsight I can see that I was really trying to cover up feeling bad. Normal people generally feel good without the need to take drugs I think.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  4. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

There's no single reason that individuals take drugs. Sometimes, it's peer pressure, and other times its out of a sense to rebel from authority. Others enjoy the high they receive, and then others are simply too far into addiction to stop with any ease. It depends on a person's situation and personal experience, so it's hard to lock down a specific reason that applies to every drug user.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  5. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

For me it started off as a prescription from my doctor after a major surgery to control pain. After a while I realized that the drugs gave me a sense of wellness and just made me feel good. Then my whole life started to snowball from there. I found myself taking more and more just to achieve that same "well being" feeling. And when that did not work I tried harder and heavier drugs just to get back to that "place". For me I think I took them as a coping mechanism and to ignore and have to deal with normal emotions and situations that we as humans have to deal with. If only I knew then what I know now...sigh.
  6. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Trust me when I say that people don't take drugs out of pleasure, initially. They are either having their mind manipulated by peer pressure, or simply out of curiosity.
    Where I live, you can see children as young as 12 years old starting to consume marijuana, crack, meth and all sort of drugs. Why do you think? It's because they think they're being cool consuming. It's really sad that this is happening, but it's the harsh reality we must accept.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I would like to think that drug use start off as simple curiosity or peer pressure, but there must be an underlying problem. Is it because that there is something missing in someones life and they feel the need to do drugs to fill a void in their life? I think that there must be something there to look at.
    tckc likes this.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I agree. There could be various reasons why people take drugs. It could be some sort of coping mechanism to them, or probably it's hereditary, or they were just influenced by their peers/friends. As for me, I haven't experienced taking drugs yet, not really my thing.
  9. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

The reasons you pointed out are quite true. Yes, people very often take drugs because it gives them an escape from reality - a reality they can't stand. It looks like the only solution (or at least the easiest one). The thing is that they don't realize how bad it is until it's too late. For young people, taking drugs might be connected with other issues, trying to fit in, be cool like the others. If their friends and/or close ones take drugs, chances are they will start, too. Unfortunately, if you take something good and something bad together, more often than not the bad will prevail.
  10. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

After reading your replies I realized it could be various reasons, but what they all have in common is to scape from the reality because that's what all drugs do, they make you a temporary scape.
  11. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

I think people take illegal drugs because they have either fallen into the wrong crowd or they either for some reason think that the drugs will help their problems. The reality is, they just make problems worse. It is a waste of money, time and broken relationships in my own opinion if I am honest. Peoples lives are being destroyed by drugs and at the end of the day, the person who is addicted to illegal drugs, do not realise what they are doing to the people around them.
  12. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

For those who start doing drugs early, I believe peer pressure is a huge factor. They want to follow the examples of their friends and before they realize it they get sucked into the realm of drugs. And we all know that once they go down that path finding their way back is going to be the toughest challenge of their lives.
  13. hunkydoire

hunkydoire Member

At first, it was boredom. Then, it was because I was being abused by my adult caretaker when I was a teen, and it was suggested (by a bad influence, of course) that to numb the pain (both physical and emotional) left from my abuser, that I try some oxy. I even remember asking the individual "isn't this stuff like, for cancer patients?" but it didn't matter. I was being strangled, vomiting blood, having furniture broken on top of me, and threatened with my life if I dared to tell anyone. It was a tough situation to be in, and it took me many years to unlearn all of the bad habits and the horrible issues with self esteem and self loathing that I developed as a result of using.
  14. 6up

6up Community Champion

Peer group influence make many people start using drugs. Stress is another factor. Idleness also contributes to taking drugs. Accessibility can be another cause.
  15. johnny

johnny Member

I think almost always people are taking drugs to cover up a more serious underlying issue like depression. At first, the drug seems to cure the underlying problem, but then unfortunately as a user you find out that instead of one problem you end up with the same underlying issue plus the addiction. It's a terrible situation because you were already vulnerable before the addiction and then you are hit with a whole new set of problems to deal with.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

There could be various reasons why a person become addicted into substances. Some might just being influenced or what to try it out of curiosity. As you said, some think that it is the solution to their problem even it will be just a temporary relief from the suffering they are feeling.
  17. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

I think sometimes people take drugs because they think that they will not become addicted to them and it depends on were they are in their lives.
  18. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think there are a lot of reasons why people take drugs, ranging from boredom, peer pressure, depression, etc. But in my case, it was because of curiosity. I only took weed though, so nothing alarming there. I also never got addicted to it, which is good.
  19. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

There's many different reasons why people take drugs. Personally for me, it was an escape. I didn't like where my life was going and there was nothing I could do about it.

For me it was a way to escape from my problems.
  20. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Well I have never been a user but became more interested in the conversation when some friends and family got hooked on marijuana. Reading all the comments here I can see some of what might have contributed to their abuse. Like some suggested "an escape" seems to be a common thread.