An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why do people take drugs?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by amin021023, May 2, 2015.

1. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

The reasoning for taking varies from person to person. For some people, they're just bored with nothing to do. For others, the drugs and the feeling they give helps them escape the hardships of reality
  2. gracer

gracer Community Champion

There are many reasons or factors in taking drugs or substances. Whatever the reasons are, the end doesn't justify the means. Drugs or substances will never be the answer to any problem or question bothering a person. We should realize that there are many more promising things than engaging in something that only gives temporary pleasure.
  3. MsLucy

MsLucy Active Contributor

People take drugs for many different reasons. For my mom, she's trying to numb the pain of facing what she went through as a child. For me, it's the high, the excitement of the rush. I believe that they make me feel better, & they make partying great. Every addict has his/her own personal reasons for doing drugs.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Ah, to me there are so many reasons why people take drugs. The ones that immediately spring to mind are peer pressure, insecurity, the idea that it's just "a bit of fun" and won't have any long term impact, trying to escape certain pain/trauma/memories, self medicating for anxiety/depression...I have no doubt there are loads more but those are the ones that came to mind - and some are relevant to my experiences when I battled with alcohol.
  5. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

Plenty of reasons actually. Some escape from the reality. Some are to weak to fight the harsh times. Some jut try them out for fun and end up in a big problem. I tried marijuana just from curiosity and I liked it. I do not like smoking so I just don't do it too often. I make cookies and stuff. Anyhow, I am not addicted. Some people use drugs for inspiration, to see the colours better and to hear the notes they are missing.
  6. jackiewbu

jackiewbu Member

I think the reason for drug use is the constant need for a break. When feeling stressed all you want is just a break, just one moment where you don't have to feel the negativity or stress you're dealing with. The problem is that it feel so good and we become dependent on them and eventually it's not a break anymore, it's needed to feel normal and it goes downhill from there.
  7. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

When I first started smoking marijuana it wasn't because I wanted to. It was mainly because I was so depressed and marijuana was the only reason that I kept living.
  8. jackiewbu

jackiewbu Member

Exactly what @Okaviator said, you feel that you need it to keep living. You become so dependent on it that it's a constant need. Whether or not there is a physical addiction, there is a mental one, and in my opinion that\'s the hardest to kick.
  9. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

The reason for taking drugs varies from person to person. I would say that these are the most common reasons as to why people take drugs:
    • As a sort of escape for their problems or issues in life, whether it be relationships, careers or family conditions.
    • To stop feeling things... Sometimes, when you're in so much pain, physically or emotionally, you just want to stop feeling them. And taking drugs is their solution for this.
    • To fit in, as in conformity or peer pressure, this is most common in organisation, fraternities or school.
    • Pressure. Celebrities mostly feel this pressure of work and the public. Models as well have this problem or issue.
    • To experiment. Some people are just curious and want to experiment with things and end up abusing drugs.
    For some people, it's a mixture of some of these things. Maybe for some they take drugs for other reasons as well that I don't know of. But these are the ones that usually people complain about.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Escapism is probably the main reason that people give, when they get asked why they take a substance. They might not be happy with how life is going and need a release, or even if they are happy, some people take drugs simply because they want to experience a different kind of high to what there normal life gives them.
  11. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I don't think it's quite that simple. There are as many reasons as there are people.

Some people might start out "just partying" and end up addicted. Some kids might experiment or rebel, but there are many more scenarios. In many cases, people start out taking pain meds or other prescriptions for a legitimate reason. Over time, they become dependent on them. Sometimes, it gets ugly.
  12. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

As far as I knew some people take drugs on different situations either it is because they are exposed to an environment where this abusive substances are present. To escape from personal problems which brings emotional worries within themselves. Feeling isolated and that there is no one who is giving them attention. These are only some of the reasons why do people take drugs.
  13. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Different people have different reasons for taking drugs. Some use it for recreation and some for medication (and sadly because of that need, some became addicted). As for me, I drank alcohol because it was readily available at home and that I felt, at that time, that alcohol can make the pain go away.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

All the addicts I know,,including myself took drugs because they wanted to forget. They wanted a release or an escape away from their life and drugs was an easy way out.

So no, it might not be 'quite that simple' but all we can do is comment from our own perspective so for me, escapism was the main reason.
  15. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

I think that some people use drugs or alcohol as a means of escaping the problems of their life. Using the drugs or alcohol a little bit at first to feel better, and then eventually gaining a dependency on it. Some use the assertion that they 'deserve' a drink after a long, hard day's work, or 'deserve' to party because they've been having a rough time, but that's not really how life works.
  16. doxie

doxie Member

Boredom and curiosity are probably the main two reasons that people try them. If you are looking to escape your problems, that's usually where addiction comes into play.
  17. Dilof

Dilof Member

I guess the majority of people use them as a way of escaping the real world and as an easy way to feel at peace with things (anxiety and depression). These drugs stimulate the brain and temporarily block short term memory, so its definitely a way of forgetting things.
  18. lonelyfaith

lonelyfaith Member

I think they take them to deal with their life and to escape reality. I think they do it to try t deal with the hurts and disappointments in life and to try to cover up the pain so they don't feel it. But the thing is drugs always wear off eventually so in order to do that they would have to keep taking more and more. I don't think anyone really wants to be an addict. It's just a way of coping for them. A coping mechanism. It sucks but so many of us have turned to drugs or alcohol sometime in our life but a lot end up staying there.
  19. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Thеrе is nо оnе аnswеr tо this quеstiоn. А vаriеty оf pеоplе dо drugs fоr а vаriеty оf rеаsоns.

Thе mоst undеrlying rеаsоn is соntrоl; in this wоrld thеrе is vеry littlе wе саn асtuаlly соntrоl. Wе саn mаkе сhоiсеs bаsеd upоn сirсumstаnсе but wе аrе still usuаlly shаpеd аnd mоldеd by prееxisting еnvirоnmеnts thаt аrе bеyоnd оur соntrоl. Drugs аllоw fоr а sоrt оf соntrоl thаt is nоt fоund in аny оthеr pаrt оf оur livеs.

Whаt kind оf соntrоl dо I mеаn? Соntrоl оf соnsсiоusnеss, bеing аblе tо еxplоrе аn intеrnаl wоrld thаt is bеyоnd thе mundаnе оf оur usuаl еxistеnсе. Еxplоring diffеrеnt stаtеs оf bеing hеlps оnе tо undеrstаnd thеmsеlvеs аnd givе а grеаtеr pеrspесtivе оn lifе аs а whоlе.
  20. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Many addicts I knew used drugs because they weren't willing to face reality. The drugs made them escape reality albeit for a little while. One even told me that if it were not for drugs he would probably have to end his life because he has so many regrets. A few start using drugs when they lose a loved one but they get hooked. It's hard to help this group of drug addicts because they feel they have nothing left to live for.