An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why do smokers and drinkers prefer isolation and seclusion?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Hiraeth, May 5, 2015.

1. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Active Contributor

What is it about smoking up and drinking too much that makes people crawl into a shell of their own, and slowly move away from people? It isn't always the stigma of being an "alcoholic" or "pot head" that drives them in, not everyone is judgmental when it comes to these and can be quite accepting of them, if only a little concerned sometimes. However it seems that smokers and drinkers enjoy being alone, in their own world, away from the rest of humanity so to speak. Sometimes it is this self imposed seclusion that leads to depression of various kinds, social anxiety and even apathy towards everything.

Is there an explanation as to why they prefer this isolation? What are your views on this?
  2. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I don't think the alcohol and smoking makes someone want to crawl back into their shell. I think that whatever it is that makes them want to go off and b alone, is the same thing that makes them want to drink and smoke. They're both coping mechanisms.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Probably because they don't want other people to judge them or pity them for what they have done. That's why they prefer isolating themselves from the world.
    kana_marie likes this.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I don't think that's the case in all alcoholics or weed smokers. I know a lot of people that are the opposite and only have a drink and a smoke when other people are around to share the experience.
    kana_marie likes this.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also do not think that it is the case always. Most alcoholics here are having drinking sessions as a group as their bonding moments. I can also see smokers here smoking in a group even in a public place. So it could depends on the person.
    kana_marie likes this.
  6. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

I think that drinkers and smokers only like to surround themselves with other drinkers and smokers. I think that if they have people around them that don't have the same bad habits then they judge them as "goody goodies". Misery loves company right? Just my opinion.
    kana_marie likes this.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I can only assume that this is to avoid judgement or nagging. However, I don't feel that all smokers or alcoholics partake alone,. When I smoked, I would actively seek out other smokers if I was outside a restaurant or bar. It was almost like a bonding thing - plus smokers tend to have this running joke about being a "dying breed"!
  8. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I think the desire for solitude can be attributed to the drinker's need to be left alone to his thoughts. When we drink we get melancholic and sentimental which demands focusing on certain aspects in our lives. Other people simply make this harder.
  9. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

Haha anywhere I've worked or went to school me and the other smokers bonded over discussions about us being then cool kids. We were making fun more than anything, but it was always entertaining.