New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why do some get sober?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Cametobelieve0202, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

Hello, why do you think some addicts/alcoholics manage to get sober, while others can’t seem to make it to the other side. I feel like the stars literally have to align in order for someone to get sober. In my case I had to hit my rock bottom while remaining open and willing and get treatment when I was infact ready for treatment. Like I had gone through treatment 3 other times before I got sober but...I wasn’t ready to quit, I hadn’t lost enough to my addiction to want to give it up. I barely got sober by the skin of my teeth, like had I made one wrong decision in that first year I would have gone right back. I hope this question makes sense, I’m curious what other people think? What has to happen or what change has to occur for someone to get sober?
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

i think when negative consequences outweigh the positive feelings one gets.... that's when more serious changes will be made. when the pain gets great enough....that's when change is more likely to occur.

but there are a host of other factors. type of drug. coping skills. environment. emotional maturity. and so much more.