An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why do some people get addicted and others don't?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by stagsonline, Oct 28, 2014.

1. stagsonline

stagsonline Active Contributor

Children who grow up seeing their parents drinking at home or even in family gatherings are more likely to end up drinking too later on in their lives. Raising chlidren in this kind of environment has been one of the greatest undoing for parents in this current generation. You will often find a father telling his son not to engage in alcohol yet he drinks and his son knows well about it. This is very unfortunate.
  2. stagsonline

stagsonline Active Contributor

Your last line there sums it all. Sometimes I wonder why I kept smoking for two good years yet each time I puffed on a cigarette I knew that I would have health problems later on. After having chest pains that really bothered me for some time, I visited my doctor only to have my worries confirmed. We often assume our very own self-awareness and instincts.
  3. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Absolutely! We know the damage that can be caused and at the time we all think that it wont happen and that we are invincible, the truth is that we are human beings with a breaking point and it takes some longer than others to figure it out.
  4. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I'm curious about how they did this study because I've known many people who lie through their teeth about their addictions, and just simply do a good job of hiding it from everyone else. Even if it means singling out some other acquaintances as being the "helpless mess" of the bunch as a distraction to how much of a mess they themselves really are.
  5. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I am not sure if it is genetic or personality or perhaps a combination. I have known people who had alcohol problems in their family but they did not have a problem. An element of addiction is its use as a coping mechanism. I think this may go along with the personality thing, some people are naturally better at finding healthy ways to cope with stress and life issues, while others struggle with that and are more vulnerable to using and eventually abusing a substance as a way to help them cope.
  6. Lanny

Lanny Member

I know it's really hard going through that process with your dad, but you should always have faith. It's always good to find out what caused him to be where he is in life now. Then from there you can probably figure out what's the next step. Some persons usually recover within a short period of time while others are a longer period. Trust me, there is always a different kind of treatments for everyone who is addicted to cocaine and marijuana.
  7. jackslivi

jackslivi Active Contributor

I think everyone is different which is why it is hard to say if a person is going to get addicted or not. I think with how a person is raised is a big factor in it too. If that person is around alcohol all the time they can either go two ways. They can dive right into the alcohol, or they will despise alcohol. It really just depends and is amazing to see how some people can change the scales of things. Of course an addiction isn't amazing but a lot of people just assume and never give anyone a chance to show who they really are.
  8. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

I feel its like with anything that we put in our mouths. Once its in our system our body processes it and sometimes the body will crave for it. Once you start giving in to the craving then the body demands it and won't function without it. I am telling you its just like with eating fast food or sugar. The body craves for you and it becomes all you think about until you quench that hunger for it. That's how the body works. Don't test it and the body wont want it.
  9. lindybon

lindybon Member

Why do two kids from the same parents not become addicted? How do identical twins not?
  10. lindybon

lindybon Member

Meaning one does & the other doesn't?
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Most probably right since people have different taste and preferences.
    Like one would like alcoholic beverages a lot but the other one do not like to even taste it. Not because it taste good for someone, it will be for everyone and not all who like it, does not mean will be addicted to it.
  12. thomas carty

thomas carty Member

Sometimes I think it just comes down to a matter of will power because when I was younger I smoked weed and I drank but they were never things that I could see myself becoming addicted to I just did not want to go down that road.
  13. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

My dads side of the family has a lot of alcoholics and drug abusers. I have one sister and one brother and neither of them are addicted to anything either, in fact my brother doesn't drink at all or do any drugs. My sister just drinks on occasions, such as parties and holidays. In fact neither of my parents drink, smoke or do drugs either. My dad used to drink and smoke before I was born but he stopped a long time ago.

I'm the "bad seed" of the family with 2-3 year periods of heavy cocaine use, and 2 DUI's under my belt, as well as jail time. I'm also the more sociable of the three of us, and was the first to move out despite being the youngest, and I've earned the most out of us three.

Honestly, my sister and especially my brother still have their own issues. They may not self medicate like I did, but mentally they are a mess. I've complained to my parents many times that they both seriously need to get into a psychologist or psychiatrist, my brother especially.

He's in his late 40's and has lived with my parents his whole life, has never had any friends or dated anyone ever. He is completely socially inept. He's worked a part time low paying job his whole life, and a majority of his life he was extremely overweight - food was his vice instead of booze or drugs basically. There is a lot of pent up anger with him and he regularly goes ape **** throwing violent temper tantrums over the stupidest things - to the point where I've almost called the cops on him, and I've had to video record his breakdowns with my cell phone to hold on to as evidence if something bad happens down the road.

My sister also lives at home with my parents and she's in her mid 40's. Same thing, single, limited friends, works at a dead end job for over 15 years. She technically has a small house but can only afford to make the house payments which is why she still mainly lives at my parents house. She only stops by her house and mows the lawn from time to time to pretend like she's living there. She's a *major* control freak and incredibly neurotic about everything. She thinks the whole world is out to get her at all times, and blames everything on everybody else. Nothing is ever her fault. Her and my brother both verbally abuse my parents and are constantly yelling at them, and bossing them around.

It's not just a matter of one person drinks and someone else doesn't - they still have plenty of issues of their own.
  14. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

I can attest and say that this is true. I don't know and I can't explain the science of it, but I have this friend who uses marijuana, and she's just like everybody else. She did not get addicted to it and only uses it during parties. She's like a casual marijuana user.
  15. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

This is a very good subject. I grew up in a house that was full of drugs and alcohol. As a teenager I did drink a lot. But that is when I use to rebel a lot like most teenagers do. As an adult I do drink occasionally, but I do have priorities in life and drinking isn't one of them. So that shows that I did not inherit any addictive gene from my parents.

My nephews on the other hand smoke pot like crazy. Their father is a big pot head. You can say it was jus a bad influence or, it could have been handed down geneticly. You never know.
  16. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

It also may have a lot to do with the frequency and intensity with which a person uses an addictive or potentially addictive substance. More frequent use would put someone at a higher risk of dependency or addiction than occasional uses with a lot of time between them. For instance someone who drinks several times a week, even if they don't get really drunk may be at greater risk of developing a dependency than someone who gets drunk at a few parties a year, but otherwise rarely drinks.
  17. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

Isn't all how we choose to deal with problems we face in life. We can choose to cover it these "band aids" or deal with them head on. Some cannot deal and the mask covers the pain and that what feels good day after day. Life is going to throw wrenches at us. Some are strong enough to overcome this and others are not. Some need that thing that makes them feel. Isn't that really all we want is to feel.
  18. Morvack

Morvack Active Contributor

My theory is based on genetics. If you are genetically predisposed to lack of dopamine production, you are more likely to get addicted, due to trying to replace said dopamine your missing. If you have regular dopamine production, you are less likely to get addicted because you don't need it.
  19. StillFighting

StillFighting Member

I have wondered this myself. In my family, I have a lot of people, mostly uncles, who really love to drink socially. They tend to drink a lot of beer anytime the family gets together. However, none of them have lost jobs or families or otherwise let it control their lives. They can drink and then stop. On the other hand, my ex-husband's family seems to have a genetic inclination to become alcoholics. One uncle lost his daughter in a car accident with a drunk driver; yet this man died young mostly due to his heavy drinking. This guy's two brothers also died young because their alcoholism complicated their diabetes. My ex's mother had been an alcoholic when she was younger until she defeated it, and then my ex himself became an alcoholic who lost his family, multiple jobs, etc., before he finally received treatment. For me, I like to get drunk in social situations because it helps me get over my shyness, but I can stop. I don't understand NEEDING alcohol. So while I am not ready to classify it as a disease or anything, I really do think there is some genetic predisposition to becoming an alcoholic.
  20. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

While certain people are less likely to become addicted to certain substances -- the risk is always there. Be vary wary of what you put in your body and always try to remember that while drugs may be an outlet - there are huge consequences for using them -- they will ruin your life and your relationships if you give them half a chance to do it.