An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why do some people get addicted and others don't?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by stagsonline, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

I know persons who can get high from smoking a cigarette while others finish numerous packs and act as if they were not in any way affected. I think it all boils down to your nervous system and how fast the impulses travels to your brain from these drugs. I was wrecked b marijuana smoking once and one spliff would serve me a week while my spouse could finish three or more in just one night. I cannot process these drugs in a state as other seem to do it naturally and so i am happy that i have part company with them because maybe it would have eventually impacted my sanity.
  2. jubjubb

jubjubb Member

That's such a complicated question. It's a matter of family, how you were raised, genetics, what influences you had in your life...just too many things to say. It's really a combination of all those things, in my personal experience.
  3. mimsee

mimsee Active Contributor

I feel that in most situations people who were raised around drugs and alcohol are repulsed by it to the point that they won't even try it...but there is also the sad reality that someone who is raised around all of that don't know any other life. Maybe genetics have something to do with it, but I am thoroughly convinced in my gut that it's all about what took place in the home that a child was raised in.
  4. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

I think it's mostly due to the environment some people were raised in. Some cities have better access to illegal drugs. Some people come from families that partake in illegal drugs. Some brains are just predispositionally wired to have a propensity to be more easily addicted. It's just the way of the world, everyone is dealt a different hand.
  5. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

I agree with you on this. Having watched families mine included, as the youngsters watch adults/relatives indulge could only lead them to want to experiment or not to experiment.

The genetic factor is really at the bottom of my list based on what I've experienced. All the in depth research, I feel, is based on the "why" question. "Why do people do this; why do people to that?" I grew up as a 'why' person and I always seem to hit a nerve, as a matter of fact I still do it today.

If you asked me why I don't drink or do drugs I'd tell you because I've seen what they can do to you and I don't want to be like that. There's too much going on to just 'live' my life and that's enough for me.
    notodrugs likes this.
  6. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

In my opinion addiction is more likely a result of psychological temperament. Some people have developed a more resilient behavior towards addiction; however, other do not have easier control. Of course there are other factors such as society and family.
  7. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

And your inquisitiveness and kind of reasoning MrsJones helped you in avoiding it. So whether you continue to hit a nerve or not, it does not matter. You're alive and well, that's what it is all about.

True, we already have a lot of drama going on in our lives, why add up to it if you can avoid addiction troubles. But some cannot just do that. The coping skills also have something to do with it. And the mental health. But those are another issues.
    MrsJones likes this.
  8. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

I really think addiction is based on a variety of factors. It is an emotional, physical and social phenomenon. It also has to do with self-control (or lack of), and sometimes it's genetic too. My dad was probably an alcoholic. I have been warned all my life by my mom not to overindulge in drinking.
  9. kariad28

kariad28 Member

All around the world addiction is everywhere. People can be addicted to eating chalk or paint chips all kind of crazy things. When it come to drugs it's different. Some people love. The high that they get from drugs but the ones that use drugs or pain pills could be for pain. There are so many drugs that people are dirving to do drugs. Also prescription drugs are very addictive as well but it all depends on how strong someone is and they know how to control them selves.
  10. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

From my readings about drug addiction, it looks like metabolic disorders can play huge role in whether or not people become addicted to drugs. This could be one of many reasons why some people get addicted and others do not. People with metabolic disorders are more likely to become addicted to drugs. Some of these disorders are hypothyroidism, vitamin b deficiency, mineral deficiencies, and hypoglycemia. Many of these disorders can be fixed by making proper changes to the diet. So it looks could possibly be one of the reasons, but there are others.
  11. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

That's on a scientific level. However, the more visible causes come from society, from culture itself and the way how culture is influenced by change. How one responds to the change determines his/her resiliency to addiction.
    MrsJones likes this.
  12. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I think it just comes down to a persons personality. for the most part there are those that are just prone to over do it. Those are the people that turn into addicts. Then there are those that have a grasp on limitations not only with drugs or booze, but life itself. These people can manage as well as maintain life's ups and downs with no help from a substance.
  13. mikeqin

mikeqin Member

Addictive drugs produce a high that results fromdopamine spikes in the Reward Center at much higher concentrations than normal rewards. Over time, drug abuse causes the dopamine system to react defensively to all that excess dopamine by building up tolerance, which requires more drugs to achieve the desired high. This defensive process can ultimately trigger genetic change that renders addiction irreversible
  14. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

As stated above, I have read that whenever someone seems to have a resistance to substance addiction, they tend to have more complications in their body whenever using substances. However, substance tolerance can change, so be aware of that.
  15. juno

juno Community Champion

It definitely depends on each individual, tolerance, body type, etc. However, there are studies that show more
    susceptibility for people who may have a family history as well. It's a genetic factor that people need to be aware of. Particularly young people who are just experimenting with friends should be educated on the matter if they have parents of other family members who have had drug and alcohol addictions.
  16. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I know for a fact there are those that have grown up in homes. Where addiction is a part of life. These kids that are now adults lived that hell, and don't plan on repeating it. They see the results of substance abuse, therefore they won't bother with the stuff.
  17. Jil Diamante

Jil Diamante Member

I think it all boils down to self discipline and our ability to assess what's right from wrong and what's the right amount from the excessive. People from all walks of life, no matter what their surrounding or environment is can get addicted to something productive or worse, destructive like that of drugs. But we can't blame this alone on the external factors. It will always go back to self discipline. The no. 1 reason why some people are addicts while the rest are not.
  18. pintbean

pintbean Active Contributor

This is what I was thinking too. There are many factors: lifestyle, childhood, genes. I imagine it is combination of all of these that pushes someone towards one addiction instead of another.
  19. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

This has always amazed me. How a drug can so negatively affect one person and the same drug seemingly not affect another person. I guess it is just a demonstration of how totally different we are made. It probably has everything or something to do with genetics.
  20. globulon

globulon Member

It is not surprising that individuals respond differently to different drugs. It boils down to the difference in genetic makeup between individuals in the population. The result is that we all have different physiological responses not only to drugs, but also medicines, foods, and other chemicals. One person's brain may react more strongly to recreational drugs than another person's, much in the same way that the same fruit may cause cravings in one person rather than another.