An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why do some people get addicted and others don't?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by stagsonline, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

I read some articles about being tied to your personality. That being said, the lifestyle and willpower has a strong saying in this. People with addictive personalities can fall more into one category or another where disciplined ones can keep their head clear with no problem. I'm not saying there aren't any exceptions to the rule but so far this seems to be the case.
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I think that this is more about the person than the drug. Some people will be way more likely to develop an addiction because of traumatic life experiences, hopeless situations and genetic predispositions. At the end of the day though, addiction does not discriminate.
  3. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is just was being talked about in the cocaine section. Genetic characteristics? This is the first time I heard this one. Genetics, hmmmmm. DNA, genetics, and molecules. Hmmmm. Interesting to say the least. Mind over matter to me is stronger than any of these kind of theories. Which is to say that people are predisposed to be an alcoholic or to be a heroin addict. I'm for the theory that genetics do not dictate but that your will and thought pattern does. Its like when someone told me that if two people work out and one wants to look like the other. One is fat and the other is ripped. It might be said that you cannot do that your genetics will not allow it. This is BS because some of the best bodies were overweight at one point. How did they overcome it? Mind over matter. Visualize and concentrate on that shape you want that body you want. It will come with hard work and focus.
    Drugs and alcohol too. It is the thought pattern. Your father was an alcoholic and so are you because it is your genetics? No. If you believe this load of nonsense, then you are right, it is true. Because you believe this. If you believe otherwise you change your DNA and your genetics. You change the molecule. You are what you think you are. This is a proven theory.
    If everyone around you looks at you and says you are an alcoholic enough that you believe it. Therefore you are and you continue. Their belief effects you, but why should it define you? Some people become worse when a criticism is made. They dig deeper into it and take attachment to becoming excessive. Like "I will show you, don't tell me what to do." This is an issue of self control. Sometimes those around you can be more part of the problem than the problem itself. The only answer is to change the molecule and change yourself. Sometimes that means distancing yourself from certain situations or a change in perception, focus.
  4. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I'd like to read those articles if you still have the links. If someone is disciplined and has willpower they are in one category. The addictive personality, well they are weak, not strong. This makes sense. I think this can vary according to subject matter. A strong willed person certainly could have some weaknesses where they fall into various types of addiction. Spending money or eating something unhealthy. A weakness for something trivial. Where if it were something like drugs or whatever this is where they are strong. They don't get involved. Tied to your personality. An interesting concept. I don't think I am tied to my personality. I think I try to purposely be different or at least better. Improve on myself as much as possible. I think people get set in a mindset that is small, or petty. This is a shame. This is definitely tied to a closed minded personality.
  5. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

6. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

I wouldn't say genes though. There is no study to support that opinion.
  7. fliktor7

fliktor7 Member

Maybe is for their genes, maybe is because of their personality, I believe there is something physical around it, there are human bodys more suited for one substance and others more suited for another, but if we are talking about hard drugs, anybody sooner or later will eventually get addicted to the substance, that's what drugs made xS