New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why do they make it so hard to get into detox?

Discussion in 'Share Your Detox Experience' started by JayLyn, Sep 27, 2015.

1. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

I can't help but wonder why they make it so darn hard for people to get into detox. I don't know what its like for people in other cities, but where I live its not that easy to get help when you want and need it. I personally have waited weeks for an open bed and only got it because I was high priority. I have seen too many people who don't make it in when they need to, slip into deeper and deeper despair and addiction, some of them not ever making it out because it finally became too late for them. And others who just gave up trying to get in because it was easier to just keep using drugs. I think it is a very sad situation when it is easier to get drugs than it is to get help.
    Where I live the first thing you have to do is phone the detox yourself and then go to the drug and then go to the walk in mental health and addiction clinic so that they can refer you to it. Now I don't know about anyone else, but when you are sick and withdrawing the last thing you want to be told is that you have to get yourself to an office to get a referral. I mean do you really need someone to tell you if you are addicted enough to need detox or not? Shouldn't the fact that you feel you need detox be enough? After you are referred you are told that you need to phone the detox every day to see if there is a bed available. Again, some people don't have ready access to a phone so they have to get themselves to one. And before you say well, they'd have to do that to get their drugs, not necessarily. Some dealers are ghoulish enough to deliver the needed drugs right to the person on a regualr basis without being called, just so long as the money is available. So what does an addict do? They continue with their addiction finding the stumbling blocks to get help too much for them. And lets face it, if it is easier to keep using than get help, why wouldn't you?
    I read once that the window in which to reach someone who is asking for help can be as small as 10 minutes. That means for ten minutes that person is willing to go and get help if help is readily available. Now that is an extreme, but for the most part if you can keep an addict ready and willing to go into recovery for more than a day you are a darn good outreach worker.
    What have your experiences been like getting into detox?
  2. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time getting help. Unfortunately, in many places there just isn't enough resources to help all of the needy. Just like food banks or homeless shelters, many public detox centers work on a first come first serve basis. Many are non-profit, staffed by volunteers and funded by donations. It's a sad fact that not everyone who needs help will receive it. Many religious organizations offer immediate help and most don't require you to be of their religion to receive help. But, of course that depends on where you live. Good luck and I hope you nothing but the best.
  3. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I'd imagine it's because there are so many addicts, more than we realize. So I'm sure they are trying their best to get everyone help, but there aren't that many organizations out there willing to help people so they have to make due with what they've got.
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well your state, is probably like this state where all substance abuses programs and mental health programs are significantly under funded. We are seeing the repercussions here with prominent people being shot by their mentally ill children. The pendulum has swung away from funding these programs, but public outcry will probably soon make them more available again. I know that doesn't help in the short term though.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

The problem with today's methods is that they either substitute one drug with another or they impose a single detox system for all those who want to go into detox - none of which have bred good results. Different drugs affect different people (who have different pre-existing medical conditions, by the way) differently. The government should stop this cost-cutting jazz and just focus on giving quality treatment.
  6. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

What kind of treatment would you suggest? What would be more efficient than existing methods? I'm not saying you have no idea what are you talking about, but I'm just curious.
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

A treatment that would take into account each recovering patient's unique situation. Rather than administer a one-site-fits-all treatment method, it would be good to customize the treatment in accordance with the patient's psychological, emotional and physical resiliency.
  8. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Alright, but do you have idea on how to do it exactly? How do you imagine such personalized treatment? There is already a lot of addicts, who can't even get that standard one.
  9. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

It is a matter of resources and funding. Programs are often underfunded and there are more people than beds in many cases.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

There's not a great deal of funding available in the UK either. The NHS is stretched to the limit and other issues take priority. The "one size fits all" approach is no use either - addiction has many causes and facets and these differ from person to person.
  11. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

It's all about a lack of resources, and the all might dollar. Insurance wants to make it hard to get help. Places can only afford to help so many people. Free treatment facilities are rare and hard to find. It all comes down to money though.
  12. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It's all about the money, if you ask me. The way I see it, doctors hardly promote natural medicine. They want patients to replace one addiction with another (I'm talking about prescription medicine addiction). They prescribe meds with severe side effects and discourage their patients from pursuing natural healing.
  13. Donnchadh

Donnchadh Active Contributor

That's a pretty sad story to read but it's reality I remember when I went to my gp to quit heroin he told me that I had to travel 250km to the nearest clinic in was gutted but detirment and I did only to be offered methadone needless to say I told them where to shove their methadone so I decided to travel the 250km back home and go cold turkey it was pure torture but in hindsight worth it my only life line was AA which kept me sane until I managed to get into rehab.that's the sad reality that faces addicts in most countries governments just don't get it if they'd invest more in facilities they'd save in healthcare. But the best hope for addicts is people who have already been there and they're usually found in AA NA rooms they were my lifeline and still are they totally understand where you're coming from and will support you all the way and I know that you don't even have to pay but you can make a donation to the group however big or small only if you can afford. It's for me ultimately about helping each other