An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why do you drink?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Jorge Solis, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Jorge Solis

Jorge Solis Active Contributor

Hello everyone! My name is Jorge Solis. I would like to know why drinking alcoholic beverages can often become a problem in our lives. Are you the type of person who drinks regularly? Are you the type of person who drinks in order to forget about your problems? Please share your story with us!
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Most people I know started drinking because they wanted to be out with friends. Most of them worked together and only time they'd have to "socialize" is after work and they'd chat as they drank. Since alcohol is addictive once it has you in its grasp, you can't stop drinking . . .

That's how it was in my family. Have a good time with friends and things got worse from there.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I used to drink at first just socially but over the years my drinking got more and more and I ended up drinking to block out memories I had that I wanted to forget.

This of course can only ever lead to one thing, and in the end I had to admit I had a problem and take the necessary steps to deal with it.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

When I was a teenager, I was sort of a heavy drinker. Probably because alcohol had been a good stress-reliever for me, that's why I have always craved it in the past. But right now, I have learned to manage my drinking habits. I consider myself as a social drinker now.
  5. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I started to drink at a very young age because I thought it was ok, I saw my mother do it, and she even offered me some beer. So I thought.... why not? Then I started to like it, but I never truly got drunk... I think I did get kinda tipsy when I was 9 or 8 on eggnog, lol. A lot people judged my mother over that, I don't, not anymore. I stopped drinking 3 years ago, I still drink once a year or sometimes once every two years, but that's it. No more binge drinking, just nice cocktails... I loved alcohol, but I suffer from serious digestive issues.
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

When I first started drinking it was in high school. It was to have fun at parties. As I got older I just wasn't that into it. I had the occasional drink while out with friends but I was only a social drink. One or two drinks every now and then. Now that I am older I never drink. I have no desire to and I have a hard time understanding the whole addiction thing. My spouse is an alcoholic and it is emotionally draining for me. Just the site of alcohol on turns my stomach because I know how bad things are get when people drink too much.
  7. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I was drinking to forget about the pain and despair haunting me every single day. I thought it would make feel better, but the only thing it did was aggravate my depression. It was such a silly decision, and I was aware I was having a problem, but was afraid to make a change. Thankfully, I found someone to support and encourage me and got over it.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Back when I drank it started as a way to fit in, I think. I was kind of shy, quiet, and reserved - and I thought that drinking made me more relaxed and chatty. But it then became an over-used coping mechanism for anything and everything in my life. Work was rough? Drink. Arguments with family or friends? Drink. Loneliness? Drink. The list went on...but these days I can say with pride that I'm clean and have no desire or need to drink anymore.
  9. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

In college I dabbled in drinking because it was stressful. Drinking was a way to get past difficult classes and difficult teachers. I recognized that the appeal was building, though, so I cut myself off pretty quickly. Thankfully. Now I only drink at weddings, and even then it's never to intoxication. I find sticking to the special occasions is a good way to prevent drinking from taking too much of a hold.
  10. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

Drinking has been a big problem for me because it changes the way that I am. I do things that I am not proud of when I drink. Now that I am sober I am so much happier and I have healthier relationships with myself and my family and friends.
  11. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I drink sometimes to relax one or two bottles in the afternoon and like to rest after a hard day's work and having it with my dinner is a good thing, as I have food in my stomach and won't feel sick when drinking alcohol and enjoy it on the weekend. I reckon before I would drink it a bit more to try and forget the problems which were affecting me and would seem like they are going away, but the next day would have to face the problem and sort it out and decided to just have alcohol sometimes. I think that it is easy to be addicted to this and need to be careful as it may seem like a good thing to drink but a person can start spending money and lose their friends and family over this in the process very easily.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I don't drink a great deal, maybe a couple of cold beers twice a month. Beer is a real treat for me. I'm not overly concerned with food you see, I look at it as fuel rather than a reward so when I do want to treat myself, I'll have a beer. Having had past coke addiction issues, I'm always careful to space it out and never drink if I'm feeling upset or worried about anything.
  13. LeonasSword

LeonasSword Active Contributor

Totally, towards the end, I was red-hot purely out of custom. I wasn't really liking the roll-ups at all. For instance, I'd get to the bus stop and automatically graceful smoke up. Not since I actually wanted one but since it was just a custom. It's a decent idea to keep a red-hot journal. Note down the rollups you burnt and imitate whether you actually desired them or were they just characteristic rollups that you lit up without actually rational about it. You can then exertion on trying to decrease these characteristic cigarettes.
  14. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I don't drink alcohol in general, and when I do, I drink the sweet kind, like gin and juice. I think people drink for various reasons, it can be for social reasons or when they get depressed, they drink to forget.
  15. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I used to drink just about everyday as I thought it was a way to get rid of stress. I would then wake up the next morning to the realization that I was not getting anything done. Now I only drink about once a week and am accomplishing more in my life. It is a good feeling.
  16. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I started drinking because I was making a career in the hospitality industry in which our gastronomy teacher encouraged us to drink, not to get drunk, but to get familiar with wine and avoid further alcoholism problems. And his teaching worked for several years after college because I used to drink occasionally to enjoy the pleasure of wine and other spirits alone or mixed in a cocktail I made a tradition to drink on a daily basis, but just one shot a day.

Eventually I had a family-related issue, already shared with all of you in my intro post, which pushed me to drink in excess. It was a kind of stupid "revenge" that today makes no sense to me, but that ruined my life and made me hit rock bottom before I started my recovery process.
  17. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Drinking alcohol isn't a habit of mine. I am, in a nutshell, just a social drinker. I've tried to cut back on my alcohol intake as I have congenital ailments and my health shouldn't be compromised since I still have lots of things to do in life. Alcohol can actually take away your reason, slowly killing your consciousness. If you regularly drink it, it poisons your blood stream, pollutes your liver and kidneys and downgrades your overall health.
  18. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, my believe is that everyone who likes to drink up to the point of of getting drunk, has problems. We're the type of people who instead of facing our problems, we escape from them, and that's why it's a never-ending cycle.
  19. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I drink chiefly for entertainment, to feel good and forget about what is bothering me. I drink to escape. I also think in a group setting, alcohol can enhance a good time. Drinking to excess is not smart however, and I do not like the feeling of being drunk, tipsy I can deal with. I don't have a drinking problem but drinking less would be a better choice for me due to weight concerns.
  20. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

When I started drinking, it was a social habit. I did it because the people around me were doing it. I also became a beachfront because it's what all of my friends were doing.

These days I don't like the feeling of being drunk. It's not pleasant